“Good hotel”

Ranked #28 of 73 Hotels in Pretoria
Cape Town, South Africa
“Good hotel”
Reviewed September 1, 2014

Good hotel with great facilities. The rooms were very neat and comfortable. The hotel staff are extremely friendly and very helpful.
The hotel is however located on a very busy street and there is limited parking available. The security guards were however very helpful in ensuring parking can be found.

• Stayed August 2014, traveled with family
RavCha, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Capital, responded to this review, September 13, 2014
Dear Shivz001

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Protea Hotel Capital. I am delighted to hear that the STAFF where friendly and helpful.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

Yours in hospitality

David Gray

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
Lagos, Nigeria
Reviewed July 21, 2014

Nice facility. Located on a popular and very long street close to the CBD. I was upgraded to a better room than I had booked by the kind front desk personnel, Valentia, owing to my membership of Procard, their Loyalty Card Programme.

The food did not provide much options but the dessert was excellent. The room was of decent size and the bedding was comfortable. Stayed only one night but it was good value for a budget traveler and much less costly than same Protea Hotels in my country Nigeria.

Room Tip: THe noise from the street would not be much of a problem if windows are closed.
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled solo
RavCha, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Capital, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear Tola B

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on your recent stay with us at Protea Hotel Capital.

I am delighted to hear that the STAFF were friendly and efficient. Your commendations of Valentia in particular are highly valued, and I wish to assure you that we have congratulated her for doing such an outstanding job!

GUEST feedback is conducive to us ensuring that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

Your comments are much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel Capital again soon.

David Gray
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed November 1, 2013

This hotel is located in an accessible part of Pretoria. It has excellent room sizes and friendly staff. The problems experienced were around cleanliness of the rooms, the smell of cigarettes in the rooms and the awkward breakfast setting due to a section of the hotel being under renovation. Staff were very helpful when it was pointed out that the room smelled of cigarettes even though it was designated as a non-smoking room. The staff said guests continued to smoke in rooms even when told the rooms are non-smoking. It is suggested that the hotel invests in some form of detection mechanism in order to stop this. The bigger room that was offered still had a slight smell of tobacco but was very spacious. The cleanliness could be improved though for a hotel of their grading - the bathroom could have been cleaner and the plumbing should have been out of sight. Another suggestion for the hotel is for them to consider discontinuing the practice of meal trays that are left outside rooms in passages until the midmorning. The sight of food scraps is off putting when one walks through the corridor in the morning - there has to be a better way of managing the clearing of room service meals. Lastly, there was a smell of rotting meat that the staff were complaining of. They said it could have been the ribs in the kitchen. The hotel must pay attention to this as well because it was difficult to take any meals at the hotel knowing full well that kitchen standards could be compromised that day or generally. In conclusion, nice friendly staff, most guests seem to be attending conferences and are not too concerned with some of the lax standards for the price paid and hotel grading. It could be soley that my stay was during the renovation and things were haphazard but for the price paid and hotel grading i expected more value.

• Stayed October 2013
1 Thank Fidel M
RavCha, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Capital, responded to this review, November 5, 2013
Dear Fidel M

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Protea Hotel Capital.

I would like to apologise for any inconvenience you experienced during your stay at the Protea Hotel Capital.

I have started investigating your comments, and would like some information from you.

I would like to ask you to please email me your full name and surname, contact number as well as your arrival date.

Please email it to me on gm@capitalprotea.co.za, or feel free to contact me on 012 322 7795.

I look forward to hearing from you,

Kind Regards
Durban, South Africa
Reviewed October 19, 2013

Not good, not bad. We got a good price, so it was ok, but I wouldn't pay full price for this hotel. Location is very good if you need to be close to the city centre, but it can get noisy at night on the weekends if you have a room with street view, we had to close all windows to get some sleep. The room was small, service was just ok, no breakfast included... Wifi in the room was pretty good though (you get 500 mb for free). But overall I think there are lots of guesthouses and B&Bs in Pretoria that can be better value for money.

Room Tip: Rooms with street view can get noisy at night.
  • Stayed October 2013, traveled on business
RavCha, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Capital, responded to this review, October 23, 2013
Dear Moniqx

Thank you for taking the time to comment on your recent stay at Protea Hotel Capital. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our standards of service and facilities.

The hotel is centrally situated close to the CBD area with 6 different room types available, and different facing rooms.

Best regards,

New York City, New York
Reviewed July 29, 2013

I hesitate to write this review as i had an unpleasant experience here. Had been attending a workshop at another closeby hotel with a weak internet facility, so got lured by the Protea name to move to this hotel. I made a reservation online and paid for the first day ahead of my check in. The lady i met on check in insisted on photocopying both sides of my credit card despite my protests. A nice manager - later - after i complained 'loudly' returned the copy and i got to shred it - but it had been in their possession for some time by then (quite worrisome).
At the breakfast too (didn't realise the breakfast wasn't part of the room) i ate the first day and left - not realising i was supposed to sign or pay. Had announced my room on entering and got no instructions. The second day as soon as i worked in the lady said i hadn't paid the day before. After breakfast i approached her and when i heard the cost (185 rands per day) i asked her to post it to my room, so i could settle it on check out. She said she couldn't do that and i must pay there and then. I was confused and asked why? She said my booking specified i had to pay everything separate or some explaination i didn't understand. Finally, i said, well i don't have the money here - so what do we do? She then let me leave after saying she'd be there until 2pm. I went to the reception an hour later to get a ride to the bank to change some money and the gentleman there said the restaurant lady was looking for me. I asked where had she looked for me - it was very harrassing. I had been in my room since and it was not yet 12 noon by then. I later took care of it on returning from the bank but had to conclude that some of the female staff in particular are unduly aggressive to visitors.
Hotel also needs an upgrade badly - carpets are worn - dark blue. Hot water was hard to get in the mornings. Elevator is the old fashioned type with a chipped wooden door that has to close first before the steel part closes. Had a movable wardrobe located by the bathroom door. No refridgerator. Sadly the only signs of Protea was in the toiletries.
Entrance to the hotel is also locked and each time you have to buzz and the reception will let you in - it had me worried about the closeness to the busy road and security issues.
Two other people said i should have stayed at Hotel 224 - so next time Hotel 224 it will be.
I must say Gareth - the manager was nice and tried to make my stay pleasant after the rough start. Internet was good mostly.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Chi_Chi2111_11
RavCha, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Capital, responded to this review, July 31, 2013
Dear Chi_Chi2111_11

Thank you for taking the time to complete the feedback on trip advisor. I tried to contact you personally on your mobile and left a message, I have also tried contacting you via your personal email address. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve our standards of service and facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. Your feedback about the check in procedure and our STAFF behaviour certainly does not reflect the high standard of service and quality that Protea Hotel Capital. is usually proud to offer. I confirm therefore that your comments have been followed up and remedial action has been taken to ensure that our GUESTS are not inconvenienced in this way again.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated, and I hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel Capital again soon.

Yours sincerely
Reviewed June 24, 2013

I use this hotel for conferencing. Our delegates now enjoy the conferencing facilities after a change in conferencing menu. They listened to the complaints and overhauled the food offered at the venue. Complaints about air-conditioning was fixed within minutes of complaint. The staff are friendly and very helpful.

• Stayed June 2013
RavCha, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Capital, responded to this review, June 26, 2013
Dear rooinel

Thank you for taking the time to write a review of the Protea Hotel Capital.

I am glad to hear that you and the delegates enjoyed the changes that we have made with our conferencing menus, and enjoyed conferencing with us.

At Protea Hotel Capital we aim to not only meet but exceed your expectations, and I am happy to hear that the STAFF solved the problem with the air-conditioning in the venue quickly.

I am looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!

Kind Regards,

Protea Hotel Capital
Algiers, Algeria
Reviewed February 2, 2013

thank you for your help,it s a wonderful time
loved time after busy day with very near shops restaurant distance
Me and my bf had a wonderful time, it was great I was a bit dissipointed on the way the phone was opperrated when I phoned in tofind out about the rates the other day, but when we got there I feld at home, I was surpriced tho, the morning before we checked out, I'm not sure if it was a cleaner or a guy from the other

• Stayed January 2013, traveled with friends
RavCha, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Pretoria Capital, responded to this review, February 4, 2013
Dear BAHRI s

Thank you for taking the time to write a review on the Protea Hotel Capital, I am glad you enjoyed your stay.

We have looked into your comments and corrective measures have been taken.

Looking forward to welcoming you back to the hotel soon!

Kind Regards,