“Spacious and stylish rooms close to Union Buildings” 4 of 5 bubbles

and 1 more site!
Court Classique Suite Hotel
Ranked #4 of 73 Hotels in Pretoria
Amsterdam
“Spacious and stylish rooms close to Union Buildings”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 30, 2010

After a very warm welcome we enjoyed the spacious and modern suite that was spotlessly clean. Its proximity to the Union Building (15 min. walk) and from there on to the City Center (another 25 min.) make it a vantage point for sightseeing by foot. Although the rooms are a definite pro-argument for this enclosed "court" and its parking lot the dinner was not very convincing. As there was a group of about 20 people staying we were offered a buffet-style dinner (180R w/o dessert, 200R with) which was okay, though not for the price. Breakfast was good though.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
      Sleep Quality
    • 5 of 5 bubbles

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
eastbourne
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 11, 2009

Our room was clean and comfortable which was the only good thing to say about the place. Only one bath towel was provided, we asked twice but it never arrived even though the maid had been in our room while we were at dinner, as some sort of sweet had been left on the bed and the TV had been turned on!!!!
The dining room was chaotic with staff running about like headless chickens.The buffet was meagre and what dishes there were did not come together ,with the pudding,such as it was arriving an hour later after the main course.Breakfast was dismal, all the dishes had arrived but none as hot as they should be.
Glad we were only there for one night!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank ronniepEastbourne
Izelle N, Manager at Court Classique Suite Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear Ronnie,

Thank you for the review posted on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologise for the less than satisfactory experience you had during your stay. I would however like to take a moment to also give you some feedback (albeit some 2 years on) on developments that happened after your stay.

The Court Classique Suite Hotel, underwent a R4.5 million upgrade in 2010. This upgrade included the complete revamp of our suites with new beds & linen, refurbished chairs, new carpets, new air conditioning units, a fresh coat of paint, new televisions and new in-room amenities.

We have also been investing in staff training with a number of local suppliers and are proud to report that we were voted Best All Suite Hotel in SA, as voted for by our guests, in the 2011 AA and American Express Accommodation Awards.

I hope that you might have an opportunity to visit South Africa again and stay with us again, at which point we might redeem ourselves.

Australia
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 26, 2009

I used this hotel for a small conference of about 12 people. Their conference organisation was helpful and efficient. They have two conference rooms the larger of which is ideal for a group of this size. I like the rooms - decent size, very clean, comfortable beds, large hot shower. They need to get some new TVs perhaps. The decor is comfortable, 'faux manor house' which, though not chic or trendy, is quite pleasant. The free wireless internet worked well. The restaurant "Orange" is good and provided well prepared and presented food and friendly service for conference lunches and a very nice dinner in the private cellar downstairs. It has a fine wine list. Arcadia is centrally located which is handy. However, the surrounding streets, although quite green and pleasant to look at are not recommended for walking - particularly at night. It is a good business hotel, and would be fine to stay in for a night as a tourist when coming or going somewhere else.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank welwitschia
Petersfield, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 24, 2009

We had high expectations of this hotel based on previous reviews and the hotel's attractive website. On arrival after a long flight from the UK, the hotel was easy to find and the check-in was smooth enough. Problems started when we arrived at our room. Despite requesting a non-smoking room, our's was clearly not and had a definite stench of stale smoke. As we were so tired, we decided to let this go, but in hindsight I wish I had complained.

We then noticed several other problems with the room:-
- Dirty bedsheets (black oily marks) that had to be changed
- Large stains on the carpet (spilled drink?)
- Bathroom badly maintained with stained ceiling tiles and discoloured grouting between the wall tiles.

We basically got the impression that the hotel rooms were in reasonable shape when first opened, but the original workmanship was shoddy and maintenance has been inadequate to keep in up to 4-star standards. On the subject of maintenance, we noticed a small team of decorators painting the car shelters one morning - with guest's vehicles still parked underneath! We hurriedly moved our rental car to avoid being covered in paint splashes. Ham-fisted amateurism unfortunately seems to be par for the course at the Court Classique.

On the positive side, the restaurant was a more pleasant experience, with good breakfasts and excellent dinners in pleasant surroundings (we didn't experience any of the restaurant service quality problems reported by other reviewers).

Staff at the reception were nice but absolutely clueless when confronted with basic questions likely to be posed by visitors. For example, we asked for a local map and were given an illegible 6th generation photocopy of the central Pretoria area. Nobody on the front desk (or back office) had ever heard of the National Botanical Gardens, less than 8km away so we had to direct ourselves to this.

If the Court Classique had been half the price we would have been reasonably satisfied, but the inflated European-style prices they charge is vastly out of step with the lamentable upkeep of the guest rooms and the amateurish customer service. Best avoided.

• Stayed November 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Gordon2112
Dear Gordon2112,

Thank you for the review posted on TripAdvisor. I would like to apologise for the less than satisfactory experience you had during your stay. I am however pleased that you report a smooth check-in.

Please permit me to give you some feedback - albeit short of 2 years on since your stay.

Court Classique was established in 1997, and has been one of the most trusted hotels in the Pretoria Accommodation market, having won top awards such as 'Best All Suite Hotel in SA' in the 2005, 2008 and 2011 AA & American Express Accommodation Awards. These awards are based on comment sheets submitted by our guests.

At the point of your stay, we were however aware that some of the rooms where starting to show their age and plans were already in progress for a massive refurbishment. The property thus underwent a R4.5 million upgrade in 2010. This upgrade included the complete revamp of our suites with new beds & linen, refurbished chairs, new carpets, new air conditioning units, a fresh coat of paint, new televisions and new in-room amenities.

So she is looking new and ready to welcome you again, should the opportunity present itself for you to travel to our city again in the not too distant future, at which point we might redeem ourselves.

Kind regards,
Dublin, Ireland
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 29, 2009

Stayed here for one night en route to Blue Train to Cape Town. We did not have great expectations - somewhere clean and safe after a 10 hour flight. We arrived about 11 am and enquired if we could get something light to eat, all that was avaibable was coffee and muffins but that was Ok! Dinner was another matter, we ordered from the A La Carte Menu, the other option being a buffet. Got our starters without too much bother but then waited almost an hour for our mains. When they eventually arrived my husband was presented with something that was certainly not Pork Belly. The explanation for the mix up was that his had been given to another customer but they would have another one out soon. After waiting another 30 minutes he enquired as to what was the delay and was then advised that he should select something from the buffet - he had a salad.
Breakfast was fine! Maybe we should have gone out for dinner! Other than the food and services the hotel was OK, looking a little tired!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rojomich
Dear Rojomich,
Thank you for your report on TripAdvisor. I just wanted to give you some feedback. Since your stay with us, property has undergone a R4.5 million upgrade in 2010. This upgrade included the complete revamp of our suites with new beds & linen, refurbished chairs, new carpets, new air conditioning units, a fresh coat of paint, new televisions and new in-room amenities.

Comments like yours make us sit up and pay attention to our in-house training and we hope that you might have an opportunity to visit us again, at which point we might redeem ourselves.

Atlanta
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 19, 2009

I had a queen suite room for three nights at the Court Classique. The rooms have exterior entrances and are located in several detached buildings throughout the hotel grounds. Each has a balcony. The bathroom was very spacious, with a bathtub and separate shower. Both the sitting area and the bedroom had their own television (albeit with a limited selection of channels). The kitchenette was very well-equipped.

The grounds are well-maintained and really lovely, though it helped that I was in Pretoria during the blooming of the Jacaranda trees. Schoeman Street can be rather noisy, so I recommend asking for a room facing the interior of the grounds.

The front desk staff was courteous and attentive and the housekeeping staff provided excellent and timely service. I was impressed by the maintenance of the room. The hotel provided a free shuttle, and if that was not available the hotel arranged complimentary transfers through a car service. The breakfast buffet (included in my rate) was very hearty and included a diverse amount of food.

While I chose the hotel mainly for its location (convenient to the Union Building and the US embassy), I wouldn't have a second thought about staying here again as a base for sightseeing in the Pretoria/Johannesburg area.

On the downside, the free wireless service was sometimes spotty and had a weak signal. Also, the lighting in the bathroom was very dim (one single disc light above the mirror), so shaving with a razor was an adventure.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Techster
cape town
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2009

- I made a telephonic booking about a week beforehand and on asking whether I needed a reference number was told not. I also specified late arrival
- On arrival at about 22h15 there was no record of my booking
- I asked for a room in any case as I had an early start the next morning and after some considerable wait was givena room which it turned out was not made up – I was then given another room some 15 minutes later
- On checking in I asked whether there was room service and was told yes. On getting to my room I phoned room service and was told the kitchen was closed. I advised what the front desk had said and was again told the kitchen was closed. I then asked for a sandwich or snack.
- About 20 minutes later I got the wine I ordered and an unappetising snack of raisins, dry sausage and an overripe banana .I sent the ‘snack, back and went to bed hungry
- At checkout the next morning I was asked whether I had had breakfast which I had advising that I was on a B&B rate which I had paid the night before. I also gave my room number at breakfast I was told there was no record of this and that they needed to check. I had a meeting I needed to go to and left having paid the balance in cash
- The so called hotel offers free internet, one of the reasons I chose it – I had to ask for the key and then could only receive not send email
- All of this cost me R1039,20 plus R69 cash at the end when I should have been refunded R69
- For a 4 star hotel I find this appalling service

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
1 Thank davevee
Dear Davevee,

Thank you for the review posted on TripAdvisor and please accept our apologies for the unfortunate way in which your booking was handled.

I would like to give you some feedback on your comments. Since you stay with us the Court Classique Suite Hotel, underwent a R4.5 million upgrade in 2010. This upgrade included the complete revamp of our suites with new beds & linen, refurbished chairs, new carpets, new air conditioning units, a fresh coat of paint, new televisions and new in-room amenities.

It has also included a better WiFi supplier and stronger signal boxes throughout the property, making the free WiFi service much more accessible with almost no downtime.

I hope that you might have an opportunity to visit us again, at which point we might redeem ourselves.