“Restaurant/Services very disappointing!”

Ranked #7 of 73 Hotels in Pretoria
Dublin, Ireland
“Restaurant/Services very disappointing!”
Reviewed October 29, 2009

Stayed here for one night en route to Blue Train to Cape Town. We did not have great expectations - somewhere clean and safe after a 10 hour flight. We arrived about 11 am and enquired if we could get something light to eat, all that was avaibable was coffee and muffins but that was Ok! Dinner was another matter, we ordered from the A La Carte Menu, the other option being a buffet. Got our starters without too much bother but then waited almost an hour for our mains. When they eventually arrived my husband was presented with something that was certainly not Pork Belly. The explanation for the mix up was that his had been given to another customer but they would have another one out soon. After waiting another 30 minutes he enquired as to what was the delay and was then advised that he should select something from the buffet - he had a salad.
Breakfast was fine! Maybe we should have gone out for dinner! Other than the food and services the hotel was OK, looking a little tired!

• Stayed October 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Rojomich
Izelle N, Manager at Court Classique Suite Hotel, responded to this review, November 3, 2011
Dear Rojomich,
Thank you for your report on TripAdvisor. I just wanted to give you some feedback. Since your stay with us, property has undergone a R4.5 million upgrade in 2010. This upgrade included the complete revamp of our suites with new beds & linen, refurbished chairs, new carpets, new air conditioning units, a fresh coat of paint, new televisions and new in-room amenities.

We have also been investing in staff training with a number of local suppliers and are proud to report that we were voted Best All Suite Hotel in SA, as voted for by our guests, in the 2011 AA and American Express Accommodation Awards.

Comments like yours make us sit up and pay attention to our in-house training and we hope that you might have an opportunity to visit us again, at which point we might redeem ourselves.

Kind regards
Izelle Nell
Marketing Manager

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
Atlanta
Reviewed October 19, 2009

I had a queen suite room for three nights at the Court Classique. The rooms have exterior entrances and are located in several detached buildings throughout the hotel grounds. Each has a balcony. The bathroom was very spacious, with a bathtub and separate shower. Both the sitting area and the bedroom had their own television (albeit with a limited selection of channels). The kitchenette was very well-equipped.

The grounds are well-maintained and really lovely, though it helped that I was in Pretoria during the blooming of the Jacaranda trees. Schoeman Street can be rather noisy, so I recommend asking for a room facing the interior of the grounds.

The front desk staff was courteous and attentive and the housekeeping staff provided excellent and timely service. I was impressed by the maintenance of the room. The hotel provided a free shuttle, and if that was not available the hotel arranged complimentary transfers through a car service. The breakfast buffet (included in my rate) was very hearty and included a diverse amount of food.

While I chose the hotel mainly for its location (convenient to the Union Building and the US embassy), I wouldn't have a second thought about staying here again as a base for sightseeing in the Pretoria/Johannesburg area.

On the downside, the free wireless service was sometimes spotty and had a weak signal. Also, the lighting in the bathroom was very dim (one single disc light above the mirror), so shaving with a razor was an adventure.

• Stayed October 2009, traveled on business
2 Thank Techster
cape town
Reviewed October 6, 2009

- I made a telephonic booking about a week beforehand and on asking whether I needed a reference number was told not. I also specified late arrival
- On arrival at about 22h15 there was no record of my booking
- I asked for a room in any case as I had an early start the next morning and after some considerable wait was givena room which it turned out was not made up – I was then given another room some 15 minutes later
- On checking in I asked whether there was room service and was told yes. On getting to my room I phoned room service and was told the kitchen was closed. I advised what the front desk had said and was again told the kitchen was closed. I then asked for a sandwich or snack.
- About 20 minutes later I got the wine I ordered and an unappetising snack of raisins, dry sausage and an overripe banana .I sent the ‘snack, back and went to bed hungry
- At checkout the next morning I was asked whether I had had breakfast which I had advising that I was on a B&B rate which I had paid the night before. I also gave my room number at breakfast I was told there was no record of this and that they needed to check. I had a meeting I needed to go to and left having paid the balance in cash
- The so called hotel offers free internet, one of the reasons I chose it – I had to ask for the key and then could only receive not send email
- All of this cost me R1039,20 plus R69 cash at the end when I should have been refunded R69
- For a 4 star hotel I find this appalling service

• Stayed September 2009, traveled on business
1 Thank davevee
Dear Davevee,

Thank you for the review posted on TripAdvisor and please accept our apologies for the unfortunate way in which your booking was handled.

I would like to give you some feedback on your comments. Since you stay with us the Court Classique Suite Hotel, underwent a R4.5 million upgrade in 2010. This upgrade included the complete revamp of our suites with new beds & linen, refurbished chairs, new carpets, new air conditioning units, a fresh coat of paint, new televisions and new in-room amenities.

It has also included a better WiFi supplier and stronger signal boxes throughout the property, making the free WiFi service much more accessible with almost no downtime.

I hope that you might have an opportunity to visit us again, at which point we might redeem ourselves.

Kind regards
Izelle Nell
Marketing Manager
wales
Reviewed August 10, 2009

We visited for the Lions rugby tour.We had purchased 4 tickets for 2 test matches which were couriered by TNT and signed for by one of the hotel 'security officers'.When we arrived the next day the hotel denied all knowledge of the delivery.As a result I had to purchase 4 more tickets at an extra cost of R4560.The hotel managment have not replied to my request for an explanation.The service at breakfast was abysmal.A promise to deliver towels to the room was not kept.It looks pretty enough but don't be fooled.

• Stayed June 2009, traveled as a couple
1 Thank wallace20008
london
Reviewed April 27, 2009

We stayed here for one night at the start of a tour with Jules Verne. The room was spacious and comfortable. The grounds were nice with various duck ponds. We had our evening meal here and the food was lovely and beautifully presented.

• Stayed April 2009
1 Thank biggles51
HAWORTH, YORKSHIRE
Reviewed December 8, 2008

|Really nice hotel in central Pretoria. Very well equipped, large and well decorated rooms in unusual setting (lots of gardens with small duck punds and ducks). Food in resturant very reasonable priced and actually one of the best meals we had in S Africa. Nice staff.

• Liked — The food and huge rooms.
  • Disliked — No
  • Stayed November 2008, traveled as a couple
    • Check in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
1 Thank GRAEMEY
Sevilla, Spain
Reviewed August 25, 2007

I went there for a conference. The organizers recommended several hotels including the Court Clasique. The Sheraton was cheaper but I choosed the Court Clasique because I read in tripadvisor that the Sheraton's surroundings are unsafe

The hotel is OK and I agree with the previous comments but the surroundings are the same as for the Sheraton. The hotel is in a residencial area, not very crowded. I was recommended no to walk alone on the street at night (and in Agust, the sun sets around 6pm!!!). With day light it didn't look safe either. The houses fences around the hotel have barbed wire on the top.

The conference organizers said that Pretoria downtown is even worse but a colleague said that he stayed in a hotel in downtown and it looked safe.

Another point is that the restaurant service was quite slow. But this seems to be inherent to South African character.

For the rest, the hotel was brilliant.

Stayed August 2007