“Beware of the Buffet”

Sheraton Pretoria Hotel
Ranked #14 of 74 Hotels in Pretoria
Reviewed July 7, 2009

Stayed on the Club floor which was well run with good staff.As the hotel is away from any local restaurants and the hotel is an area that I did not regard as safe we decided to eat in the hotel.Firstly the steak house appeared to have closed down so into the main restaurant where we were presented with the option of the hot buffet or...well the hot buffet.The Kitchen was too busy for a la carte we were told.You know the kind of thing that hotels love.Row upon row of gleaming silver like entree dishes heated by candle power.WHY do hotels do this?Its certanly not to present good appetising food.As I lifted each lid I was presented with stewed meat dishes,dried out fish dishes and something that was supposed to be cauliflower cheese.Imagine if you will a seperated cheese sauce with florettes of this normally nice vegatable sitting in the water with the cheese in congealed lumps also floating in the water.. It might have been good when it was prepared or defrosted 5 hours earlier.
All was not lost as a carvery with a chef came into view.It was beef or lamb.The beef was so rare as to be uncooked.and it was cold.(I usually oreder my steaks rare! ).What was left of the lamb was fat,grey and steamed.About 4 hours old I reckon.
Desserts were edible but tasted of the factory rather than the patisierre.
When asked by the waitress if everything was OK I said no it was dreadfull .I received a smile and my room was charged with the full amount.
Yes Sheraton I know the hotel was full but you can do better than this.

• Stayed: June 2009, traveled as a couple
Achetty, E-commerce at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded July 13, 2009

Dear Guest,

Tthank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. We are constantly striving to improve on our services and will take your comments into consideration

Reviewed June 8, 2009

We only stayed one night but our experience was overall positive - helped no doubt by the fantastic view we had of the Union Buildings. Room spacious. Check-in was friendly and efficient. You can park in their underground carpark for a reasonable price. Five-star it certainly is not and we found it overpriced but that said we had a very comfortable stay here.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Achetty, E-commerce at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded June 18, 2009

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback and taking the time to post your comments. We are please to hear that you had a comfortable stay at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Pretoria

Hotel Management

Reviewed May 10, 2009

I stayed at this hotel for 6 months at least 10 different times. The best thing about this hotel is its staff, extremely friendly, empathetic. They cater to the smallest needs of yours and make you feel at home.

Good location, nice facilities. Perfectly suitable for a business traveller.

• Stayed: August 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank sagrawal
Achetty, E-commerce at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded May 12, 2009

Dear Guest,

Thank you for the positive review of our hotel. We are very happy to know you enjoyed your time at the Sheraton Pretoria Hotel and we hope to see you again very soon for your next stay in Pretoria

Reviewed April 23, 2009

After searching and asking many others for advice on where to stay in Pretoria, I decided to book at the Sheraton. There doesn't seem to be much else in Pretoria that is good quality and to minimize my risk I booked a Deluxe room.

I had no issues with the hotel itself. The room was great, hot water was in scarce supply, but no majore problems. The restaurants are fine, nothing special at all and very expensive for South Africa, but it's fast and edible.

The only thing I'd suggest is booking a car rental. There are no restaurants close to this hotel, nothing close other than the Goverment Buildings. Getting a taxi in Pretoria is painful. It was very troublesome for the Bell Hop to find one, I had to wait 30 minutes for one to arrive. Then getting one to return you back to the hotel is even worse.

The one thing I'd improve that the hotel can control is the staff service. I'm used to very quick responses and speedy help. Everyone one at the hotel is painfully slow. They never respond quickly to a question, they ponder it for a few moments, think aloud and then act in the every-so-slow South African way.

I also suggest you get a high-floor room. The windows are not very well insulated and street noise comes straight through.

• Stayed: April 2009, traveled on business
Reviewed January 7, 2009

A "5 star" hotel this property is not! Don't be fooled by the appearances oon the websites, this is not a well run establishment.

Our initial impression of the hotel was positive. Nice building, well appointed rooms, great view of the Union Building and, in addition, we received a gorgous upgraded room being SPG preferred gold members. Unfortunately, the positive comments ended there.

Issues encountered included a lack of air conditioning, no hot water, missing toiletries, unsatisfactory check in, inexperienced staff who were not able to answer questions or resolve issues encountered and just a general inefficiency, something not expected at a property of this caliber.

I would suggest that the hotel review its staffing, and ensure that a supervisor is on duty at all times. A 5 star property should NEVER be understaffed, and should be able to ensure that their guests are comfortable, and taken care of at all times. The tour desk needs to be staffed by knowledgeable employees, and an engineer should be on duty at all times for needed repairs and maintenance. Housekeeping should also ensure that rooms are stocked with all necessary toiletries at all times, and be available should requests for additional items arise.

Overall, I was so unhappy at this hotel that I wanted to check out early. Not a pleasant stay in Pretoria at all, and would advise travellers to avoid this property until a staffing overhall has taken place.

• Stayed: January 2009, traveled as a couple
2  Thank LBinDC1

Dear Guest thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. We are constantly striving to improve on our services and will take your comments into consideration

Reviewed August 16, 2008

Yes, President Bush did stay here, but don't expect much. The best feature I can identify is the view of the Union Building that's available from one side of the property. While the sales personnel try and make much of the mention that it is a "five star" hotel in my opinion it would be a stretch to award it three stars.

The food services are acceptable, but limited. The desk staff is representative of the mediocre service found throughout the hotel. A member of my party walked in the room and found a drinking glass being cleaned with the equivalent of Windex, well better than no cleaning, I guess.

The Sheraton is probably the largest hotel in town, certainly the only one with an international cachet, other than the Holiday Inn - Garden Court, and it's located close to many of the embassies.

Regardless of its location, subsequent requirements led me to try smaller properties, guest houses, and bed and breakfasts. All of which have better met my expectations.

• Stayed: January 2003, traveled on business
3  Thank GeorgeFarris
Achetty, Andria Chetty - In charge of E-commerce at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded August 26, 2008

Dear Guest

Thank you for your feedback regarding your stay with us at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel. We do take all comments seriously and appreciate all the feedback we can get. We are constantly striving to improve on our services and will take your comments into consideration

Hotel Management

Reviewed August 4, 2008

I have now stayed at the Sheraton twice in the past couple of months and have enjoyed the stay both times. Like many Sheratons it is well appointed and has good facilities. The restaurant is good.

My main criticism is that the service in the retaurant could be improved - it is very difficult to attract servers attention to get something, so it is difficult to have a quick business meal. Last time I was there I was on the 5th floor at the front and I did have some problem with traffic noise early in the morning.

However, the rooms are clean and the staff are friendly.

I will stay there again