“Excellent place to stay if in Pretoria”

Sheraton Pretoria Hotel
Ranked #11 of 72 Hotels in Pretoria
Charlotte, North Carolina
“Excellent place to stay if in Pretoria”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

This Sheraton treats SPG preferred guests really well - with the entire package of welcome gifts and snacks in rooms and complimentary snacks. The staff is very friendly and helpful.

Room was clean with classy interiors and I thought their breakfast selection was splendid. Definitely a great place to stay if you're in Pretoria.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
1 Thank NatStaN49022
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, March 3, 2014
Dear NatStaN49022,

Re: Excellent place to stay if in Pretoria

Thank you for your loyalty to the Starwood Preferred Guest Program and the great feedback you have posted. I really appreciate the comments that you have shared, especially commending the staff for their dedication.

We certainly look forward to your return.

Pascal Fouquet

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (92)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Amsterdam, The Netherlands
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 25, 2014

The Sheraton mostly offers a predictable level of service and quality (something I greatly value while traveling) and whereas it never offers a stellar experience, one knows beforehand what to expect. Therefore, the room is impeccably clean, has sufficient amenities, and when things go awry those are dealt with relatively speedily and efficiently. So when the aircon did not work it was fixed quickly, when a bedside light switch broke, same story.

But the food! Breakfast offered a buffet that was okay-ish (at best, okay maybe I am too generous now, it was mediocre), but the charge was outrageous compared to the low quality! Dinner was the most pedestrian buffet ever and so shockingly overpriced that I settled for the bar menu (served in the restaurant) that was as overpriced. The quality of the food was poor, I cannot say better. After ordering a dish I had to wait for a full 50 minutes (the entire restaurant only had two other tables apart from myself). Sitting with fatty hands after having to peel overcooked, deep-fried prawns, every single restaurant staff member managed to be gone for a full 10 minutes. Upon their return I had to walk over to them to request a finger bowl.
As for drinks: selling a R40 bottle at R180...

Fair is fair, so even though is one I likely may not return to, I want to commend the bar staff for speed, efficiency and an all-round professional attitude. But towering above all was the female staff member working in the evening on Feb. 23 and 24 at the front desk. After checking in and experiencing her professionalism myself, I had to wait for a colleague while standing close enough to witness her treatment of several other guests: I can only hope she is on a fast track for career advancement at Sheraton, as it is richly deserved.

• Stayed February 2014, traveled on business
2 Thank FDanvers
Dear FDanvers,

Re: Good room, terrible food

Thank you for taking the time to review our hotel. It’s regrettable that your restaurant experience did not meet your expectations, but you’ve provided us with valuable and detailed information that highlights areas for improvement and I thank you for that. I would like to offer you an apology for the inconvenience experienced due to the service issues you mentioned.

Please be assured that your concerns have been discussed with the managers concerned and measures put in place to prevent a recurrence.

Johannesburg, South Africa
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 22, 2014

The hotel has nice interior design and beautiful rooms and is defently worth a visit. Disappointing were the Health Club, which looks just like one of the stores in town and the breakfast which is highly disappointing, especially when considering that its that expensive!

• Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, February 25, 2014
Dear Flo Z,

Re: Beautiful rooms, disappointing breakfast

Thank you for posting comments from your visit with us. It’s disappointing that the breakfast was not what you expected and I regret that we were unable to address your concerns prior to your departure. Your comment regarding the Health Club is noted. Rest assured that your comments have been passed onto the Hotel Management Staff to prevent similar occurrences in future.

Duncan, South Carolina
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 21, 2014

After reading a couple of reviews on this website, I was thinking that this hotel will definitely impress me with its excellent services and a pleasant stay. However, the staff did manage to mix-up our reservations and we also had some issues in our room: the air conditioning system was not delivering the requested temperature, the shower was not working well etc. Some things could be improved here.

• Stayed July 2013, traveled with family
1 Thank Lisa C
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, February 24, 2014
Dear Lisa C,

Re: It didn't feel so impressive

Thank you for posting comments about your visit with us. I’m sorry to hear about your reservation that was mixed-up, as well as the air conditioning system and shower that was not working well. Please provide us with more detail, i.e. the room number and dates you stayed in order to take corrective action. You can contact me at marietjie.vanstaden@sheraton.com.

I look forward hearing from you.

Dublin, Ireland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 22, 2014

Fantastic view. Very friendly staff although I would not necessarily say 5 star. Really great food in the bar and lovely ambiance, super service. I was rather disappointed with the breakfast and if I was staying again, I would opt out of breakfast and eat breakfast elsewhere. Rooms very tastefully decorated and comfortable, most impressed. Shame that internet access and parking are not included as included the rack rate. Pool area was very pleasant.

Room Tip: I wouldn't necessarily recommend breakfast but bedrooms are great. My room had a stunning view...
  • Stayed January 2014, traveled as a couple
1 Thank GraceS134
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, January 24, 2014
Dear GraceS134,

Re: Recommend if staying in Pretoria

Thank you for your review with feedback about your stay. You’ll be happy to know that major changes have been implemented at breakfast and I’m sure you’ll be pleasantly surprised next time you visit. We also take note of your comment about the parking, as well as internet access and would like to kindly advise that we have complimentary internet options available on our internet billing plan and will be happy to provide you with more information on your next stay.

Zurich, Switzerland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed January 3, 2014

Great experience. Very friendly staff. Having been to South Africa many times for business and leisure, I can assure you that this is the hotel with the best, most efficient and friendliest staff. Service is personalised and always available. Our experience was just perfect from check-in to check-out. As we stayed the night before Christmas, one would expect the place to be somewhat shut down already; not at all at the Sheraton Pretoria. Everything is there, everything works and they manage to create a great ambiance even though we learned there we less then 30 guests in the hotel. A big thank you to the front desk staff, the staff the the lounge and in the breakfast restaurant. Our room was great and we would have loved to stay longer.

• Stayed December 2013, traveled as a couple
1 Thank RHW1974
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, January 15, 2014
Dear RHW1974,

Thank you for taking the time to post such positive comments – it’s always great to know when our guests enjoyed a great experience during their visit.

We are looking forward to your next visit and are looking forward to welcoming you back.

Miami, Florida
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 5, 2013

I would like to thank the staff of the Sheraton Pretoria in South Africa! They go above and beyond to ensure my boyfriend's stay there was top notch since we are 8,000 miles away from each other. I really appreciated Chef Desmond Morgan for all his help and the beautiful slice of chocolate cake he sent to the room! I also want to acknowledge Marietjie van Staden and Elmien Lyth for their corporation as well in ensuring his stay was perfect!
The really made his stay exceptional.

• Stayed December 2013
Pascal30, General Manager at Sheraton Pretoria Hotel, responded to this review, December 6, 2013
Dear Naturallypoony,

Your positive comments acknowledging our efforts to exceed our guest’s expectations are really appreciated. It’s always a pleasure and it’s what we strive for.

I want to thank you in particular for commending the three individuals who went out of their way to ensure your boyfriend has a special birthday and stay at the Sheraton Pretoria Hotel.

We hope to welcome both of you back in the near future.