We stayed at the Southern Sun Hotel in Pretoria on the last night of our South African holiday (17/4). Unfortunately, we think our trip could have ended on a much higher note than it did.
Our first impressions of the hotel were good; the foyer was modern but elegant and the porter was very helpful with our bulky luggage.
We had booked a "superior" room, but apart from the (very) comfortable bed, there was nothing superior about it:
* there was no bar fridge (just an empty space in the cabinet where it should have been),
* the tea and coffee facilities weren't great (the hot water jug was plugged into a space in the cabinet under the tv which made it very difficult to use),
* the doors kept jamming and were difficult to open,
* the shower is in the bath and the curtain wasn't installed very well so you would almost slip on it every time you had a shower, and
* you could sometimes hear people's conversations through the walls (and, therefore, they can probably hear you too).
There is wireless internet available as well, but it is quite slow and you have to pay for it by credit card over the internet (guest services can sell you a pre-paid card but they warned us against it because they said that they don't always work!)
The main issue we had with the hotel was the staff. The reception employees seemed amateurish at best and gave us the impression that they were making things up as they went along. They had trouble operating the computers and card payment machine, and tried to check us in for eight nights when we had only booked for one!
Having asked at check-in whether breakfast was included in our rate, and after being told that it was, we were surprised to find upon checking out that we had been charged for it. Rather than apologise for their mistake, they insisted we pay for it by saying that the employee we had spoken to was a "trainee" and shouldn't have told us that. They also said that online bookings never include breakfast - which is not what the website says at all. (In the end, after we stood firm, they removed the charge from our bill.)
On a brighter note, our dinner was very nice and the waitresses were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast buffet was comprehensive, though the hot breakfast food items were not always "hot".
All in all, it is a clean hotel in a central location. It is quite expensive for what it is (especially if, as they insisted, breakfast is not included) and you might be better off staying at the Sheraton if you're happy with that price range.
Finally, be aware that this hotel will charge you more per person for a shuttle to and from the airport than the cost of taking a taxi.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Located within walking distance of the city centre, the business hub and several top-notch attractions, the Southern Sun Pretoria Hotel is a favorite amongst visitors to South Africa's capital city. While you’re there be sure to visit the Zoo, the State Theatre and the Union Buildings. A stay at this luxury hotel will have you falling in love with this charming city in the blink of an eye. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Orbitz, Hotels.com, TripOnline SA, Travelocity and Cancelon so you can book your Southern Sun Pretoria reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Southern Sun Pretoria Hotel Pretoria