“Poor breakfast” 3 of 5 bubbles
Review of The Blue Crane Restaurant and Bar

The Blue Crane Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #18 of 668 Restaurants in Pretoria
Cuisines: International
Good for: Bar scene, Scenic view, Business meetings, Romantic, Special occasions, Large groups, Local cuisine, Kids, Families with children
Dining options: Lunch, Dinner, Brunch, Breakfast, Late Night, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Buffet, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Outdoor Seating, Parking Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Television, Validated Parking, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: The Blue Crane, situated in the heart of Pretoria next to the Austin Roberts Bird Sanctuary, is now under new ownership and management. Not only has the entire venue been renovated extensively, but we also built a brand new 'Boma' area ideal for functions and off course relaxing next to the bonfire on a chilly evening. The Blue Crane Restaurant and Bar offers various exciting areas, ideal for private or corporate functions, including our inside dining area next to the fireplace, a brand new coffee deli on the outside deck of the extended restaurant and our classy upstairs bar with its own deck overlooking the dam and the bird sanctuary. Not only do we cater for all sorts of functions, but we also offer our famous breakfast and lunch buffet every Sunday. We went the extra mile by building a custom jungle gym for all our younger patrons which adds even more value to your unique experience
Centurion, Gauteng, South Africa
“Poor breakfast”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 7, 2012

Breakfast with friends, totally average selection, not well presented, sloppy service. Nice setting and the only reason that I could find not to give minimum rating.

BlueCrane2014, Public Relations Manager at The Blue Crane Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, July 18, 2014
Good Day Leslie

Thank you for your review we appreciate and welcome any comments and/or suggestions from our patrons. I would like to inform you that The Blue Crane Restaurant and Bar is under new ownership and management from May 2014 and drastic improvements have been made.

Not only has the entire venue been renovated but a brand new 'boma' area has been built and the entire dam situated next to the restaurant is being rehabilitated to revive the bird sanctuary to its natural beauty.

I personally would like to invite you to come and see for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

Johannesburg
“Appalling and extremely slow service”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 20, 2012

Went with 8 overseas people, they took half an hour just to take the order, another hour to serve it, then the orders were not correct, and the food was terrible.
2.5 hours until we were able to leave !

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
Good Day Claudroc

Centurion, South Africa
“Nature and food!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 17, 2012

The restaurant is part of the Austen Roberts Bird Sanctuary and overlooks the pond. Various birds in a natural habitat. Food is excellent with a wide variety of drinks. Excellent for those lazy lunches.

Visited February 2012
BlueCrane2014, Public Relations Manager at The Blue Crane Restaurant and Bar, responded to this review, July 21, 2014
Good Day

We also have a brand new chef, new kitchen staff as well as a new and exciting menu.

Manchester, United Kingdom
“stunning location - enjoying a meal overlooking a lake with loads of birdlife”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 16, 2012

visited quite a few restaurants in Pretoria and I must say that the Blue Crance is one of the nicest setting I came across so far. I like the restaurant with it's hatched roof and lovely terrasse overlooking a small lake during you are enjoying your food and watching out for the birds in the Sanctuary. I loved the tranquille atmosphere, the staff was very helpful and friendly and the food was o.k.! We had lasagne and grilled fish and both meals where pleasant enough. Nothing outstanding though but the location makes it up. Will defenitely go back.

• 5 of 5 bubbles
    • 4 of 5 bubbles
Good Day

Cape Town
“Horrible Service From the OWNER of the Restaurant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 11, 2012

Oh my oh my, what a stunning location for a restaurant, but I cannot believe what just happened. I went to lunch with my family and friends about six of us.

One of us ordered a toasted sandwich with a salad on the side, once it had arrived, the moment the waiter put the plate down we noticed a chewed gum on the salad. Now, i can understand that these things can happen although in today's world, restaurants really do try to keep to the hygiene procedures, specially a restaurant like this, where average price for a plate is at R100.00.

I am in the hospitality field and have worked in Food&Beverage Department, so it was understanding from the waiters point of view how it was probably not her fault.

Two BIG mistakes happened here.

Number 1: The Owner of the restaurant came to deal with our complaint in the most unprofessional way ever. She stormed into our table and started saying " there is no gum allowed in my kitchen, im not saying you put it there.....but there is no gum allowed in my kitchen"

She is clearly indicating that we put it there, because if she says it didnt come from the kitchen, then it could have only come from us......That is WRONG lady, you must never go up to a guest and deal with a complaint like that. A quick tip, approach the guest calmly first of all, apologize for the inconvenience, and offer to replace the dish with no charge. We wouldn't even have minded to pay for the sandwich, as long as you could replace the salad on it.

We did not go to this restaurant to rip you off.

Number 2: Once she left the table, my girlfriends mother went back to just speak to the owner and get some say on what could have happened......At this point the OWNER had a tantrum and grabbed her arm and said the following " maybe you went to look at the hatches and a kid put it in your salad". Now this is just wrong, first of all, you never grab a guest by the arm like that, you can gently touch her arm with an open hand. Second of all The owner pretty much lied to us, as in the beginning she said that "i'm not saying that you put it there" but in the end said that a kid did put it there.

Now just to clarify, there were no kids there. The youngest was my girlfriend who is actually 21.

Apart from this horrible incident, i do think that the Manager was great, he was alot more understanding, and i understand that he couldnt properly intervene, as his Boss was having a melt down..

My Overall decision to this restaurant: Either close it down entirely, as this is not the kind of service anyone is looking for. But perhaps in order to keep the jobs of the waiter and chefs going. I would seriously advise the Manager of the restaurant to buy it from the boss, as I see potential in such a stunning location.

Also if the owner is still there, maybe get her to stay away from the guests permanently.

TO any readers who think i am just trying to ruin this restaurant reputation, i kindly invite you to read through my other comments of places where i have stayed. This is probably my very first Horrible Review ever!!!!

1 Thank CapeTownFred
Good Day CapeTownFred

Thank you for your review we appreciate and welcome any comments and/or suggestions from our patrons and I personally would like to apologize for the horrible experience you had the last time you visited the Blue Crane Restaurant.