“Horrible Service From the OWNER of the Restaurant!!!!!!!!!!!!!!”

The Blue Crane Restaurant and Bar
Ranked #15 of 726 Restaurants in Pretoria
Cuisines: International
Good for: Bar scene
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Buffet, Reservations
Description: The Blue Crane, situated in the heart of Pretoria next to the Austin Roberts Bird Sanctuary, is now under new ownership and management. Not only has the entire venue been renovated extensively, but we also built a brand new 'Boma' area ideal for functions and off course relaxing next to the bonfire on a chilly evening. The Blue Crane Restaurant and Bar offers various exciting areas, ideal for private or corporate functions, including our inside dining area next to the fireplace, a brand new coffee deli on the outside deck of the extended restaurant and our classy upstairs bar with its own deck overlooking the dam and the bird sanctuary. Not only do we cater for all sorts of functions, but we also offer our famous breakfast and lunch buffet every Sunday. We went the extra mile by building a custom jungle gym for all our younger patrons which adds even more value to your unique experience
Reviewed November 11, 2012

Oh my oh my, what a stunning location for a restaurant, but I cannot believe what just happened. I went to lunch with my family and friends about six of us.

One of us ordered a toasted sandwich with a salad on the side, once it had arrived, the moment the waiter put the plate down we noticed a chewed gum on the salad. Now, i can understand that these things can happen although in today's world, restaurants really do try to keep to the hygiene procedures, specially a restaurant like this, where average price for a plate is at R100.00.

I am in the hospitality field and have worked in Food&Beverage Department, so it was understanding from the waiters point of view how it was probably not her fault.

Two BIG mistakes happened here.

Number 1: The Owner of the restaurant came to deal with our complaint in the most unprofessional way ever. She stormed into our table and started saying " there is no gum allowed in my kitchen, im not saying you put it there.....but there is no gum allowed in my kitchen"

She is clearly indicating that we put it there, because if she says it didnt come from the kitchen, then it could have only come from us......That is WRONG lady, you must never go up to a guest and deal with a complaint like that. A quick tip, approach the guest calmly first of all, apologize for the inconvenience, and offer to replace the dish with no charge. We wouldn't even have minded to pay for the sandwich, as long as you could replace the salad on it.

We did not go to this restaurant to rip you off.

Number 2: Once she left the table, my girlfriends mother went back to just speak to the owner and get some say on what could have happened......At this point the OWNER had a tantrum and grabbed her arm and said the following " maybe you went to look at the hatches and a kid put it in your salad". Now this is just wrong, first of all, you never grab a guest by the arm like that, you can gently touch her arm with an open hand. Second of all The owner pretty much lied to us, as in the beginning she said that "i'm not saying that you put it there" but in the end said that a kid did put it there.

Now just to clarify, there were no kids there. The youngest was my girlfriend who is actually 21.

Apart from this horrible incident, i do think that the Manager was great, he was alot more understanding, and i understand that he couldnt properly intervene, as his Boss was having a melt down..

My Overall decision to this restaurant: Either close it down entirely, as this is not the kind of service anyone is looking for. But perhaps in order to keep the jobs of the waiter and chefs going. I would seriously advise the Manager of the restaurant to buy it from the boss, as I see potential in such a stunning location.

Also if the owner is still there, maybe get her to stay away from the guests permanently.

TO any readers who think i am just trying to ruin this restaurant reputation, i kindly invite you to read through my other comments of places where i have stayed. This is probably my very first Horrible Review ever!!!!

1  Thank CapeTownFred
BlueCrane2014, Public Relations Manager at The Blue Crane Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 18, 2014

Good Day CapeTownFred

Thank you for your review we appreciate and welcome any comments and/or suggestions from our patrons and I personally would like to apologize for the horrible experience you had the last time you visited the Blue Crane Restaurant.

Not only has the entire venue been renovated but a brand new 'boma' area has been built and the entire dam situated next to the restaurant is being rehabilitated to revive the bird sanctuary to its natural beauty.

I personally would like to invite you to come and see for yourself. You won't be disappointed.

Reviewed October 21, 2012

Great food in a very special atmosphere shared with beautiful Blue Cranes and lots of other bird species.

BlueCrane2014, Public Relations Manager at The Blue Crane Restaurant and Bar, responded to this reviewResponded July 21, 2014

Good Day

Thank you for your review we appreciate and welcome any comments and/or suggestions from our patrons. I would like to inform you that The Blue Crane Restaurant and Bar is under new ownership and management from May 2014 and drastic improvements have been made.

We also have a brand new chef, new kitchen staff as well as a new and exciting menu.

Reviewed October 13, 2012

I am rather suprised to read some of the reviews for this place on here, I couldnt disagree more! I found it to be very welcoming, the staff and service friendly, happy, very helpful and willing to go out of their way to raise the experiance!

We had booked a table fo 7:30 to have a chilled Brute waiting (for a suprise birthday) but as we had flown in that day we were hungrey and went over an hour early and the speed the staff rallied and sorted the table very smoothly, without fuss and even appologised for not having it ready although WE were an hour early (the awkward customers that we are).

The setting is unbeatable the 3 areas over looking the lake are simply stunning, the birds, reptiles and antelope happily possing for a glimpse or displaying some ariel acrobatics above the water hunting bugs in the moonlight, then the bats join in!

Now the food, Stunning I am a very fussy meat eater, I LOVE MY BEEF! my partner is also a fussy vegitarian, everything we had was very well cooked and presented, the steak was beautifully tender, cooked exactly as desired and very flavourful, the fish was also cooked and flavoured well and my partner rates this place as in her top 2 vegie meals ever!

I am fussy with food, service and drinks! I could not fault this place!!!

Reviewed October 12, 2012

We came here accompanied by our tour guide, at the end of a pleasant morning's tourism. She is a lovely lady and an excellent guide. However, it didn't take great observation skills to see that this is a tour guide's magnet, a point emphasised by the bus parked outside. Whether they choose to take clients there for the delightful waterside location, or for other reasons, it has to be said that they can't take them there for the food, which is very poor indeed. Four of us endured truly uninteresting dishes, albeit that we didn't complain in order to avoid embarrassing our guide. The greeters are pleasant and friendly, although the waiters were a bit too busy to give us any quality attention while we were there. Not recommended.

Good Day dsor

Reviewed August 15, 2012

Situated next to a water filled quarry at the Austin Roberts bird sanctuary, it is one of the best settings for a restaurant in Pretoria. Where else can you enjoy a sundowner looking out over thewater as birds come in to roost. The nearby bird hide adds value for birders

1  Thank keith R