“A Very Pleasant Surprise”

De Kloof Restaurant
Ranked #102 of 752 Restaurants in Pretoria
Cuisines: Contemporary
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Private Dining, Reservations
Description: Upscale and creative European-style cuisine, with local influences, in a modern space with terrace. South African Restaurant of the Year 2013
Reviewed September 14, 2013

War torn and weary from eating at the majority of Pretoria "fine dining" establishments, it was with great delight that we stumbled upon DK.

Having booked for my husband's birthday I was delighted by the option to personalize the menus - wich added a very sweet touch! We had a fixed menu - each dish was beautifully presented and tasty in the extreme and the portions were perfectly sized for tasting.

The service was extremely enthusiastic generally - all in all a very positive experience, we have already headed back to DK burgers and were delighted by this as well!!! All in all well done to the team!

1  Thank Caryn F

Reviewed September 3, 2013

We visit this restaurant on a regular basis. This is not the type of restaurant with 400 different meals on one menu. What you will find is a well planned and well executed menu with a choice between 2 or 3 starters, mains, and deserts. The menu is changed on a regular basis. The wines are excellent ... Be sure to ask Charl for his recommendations. This is adult dining at its best. The quality of the food is excellent.

Reviewed September 2, 2013

We went to De Kloof for supper and I was immediately impressed. From the time we arrived, the staff was incredibly warm, friendly and helpful. The restaurant itself is very cozy, with a view of the golf course. Our waitress was just the best, she was engaging and helpful. We were disappointed though that they don't stock enough bottles of wine of any single wine. The particular one we had was exquisite, but it was the last one that they had and we were told that they change their wine list often, so they don't keep too many bottles of any wine. The menu is small and the food disappointingly average. I had the pork belly, which was edible, but nothing to write home about. No one in my party, was particularly impressed with what they had. And yes, it being a fine dining restaurant, the prices are on the high side.

Reviewed August 30, 2013

The wife and I had a great romantic dinner at De Kloof.

This small restaurant is situated on a golf course, overlooking the driving range and with a nice cosy feel to it (not so sure about the "French")

Food was of good quality, although the portions were on the small side for me (even for a fine dining restaurant). I had some great pork belly and my wife the fish - which turned out to be slightly dry. We appreciated the small but divine rich union soup starter and the dessert afterwards was also good. Wine-list reasonable although expensive. I hated the cutlery (which was stock-standard, heavy catering type and completely out of tune for a fine dining restaurant).

So in the end a good evening (we were glad to have gone there), good quality food, good service and we will probably go back.

Reviewed August 18, 2013

We had the most fantastic lunch with dear friends and their kids. The food was exquisite with a wide variety on the menu. What a beautiful setting on the golfcourse.