“A piece of Italy and Naples in South Africa”
Review of Fumo

Fumo
Ranked #33 of 799 Restaurants in Pretoria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed March 10, 2014

FUMO is for sure the best experience of Italian food in South Africa. We were a little bit sceptics driving from Johannesburg to Pretoria just to taste a pizza and some Italian pasta. Believe me you will bless each km that you’ll drive there @ FUMO. A fantastic pizza, like only in Naples , and a “pasta a vongole” like only an excellent Neapolitan chef like , Claudio Uccello, can cook, transferring in the dish all the flavour of the sea. All the products are fresh and with the professionalism and passion of chef Claudio are delivered in a unique experience. FUMO is definitely the ambassador of the Italian tradition and “Napoli” in South Africa.

1  Thank MarcoGaleone2014

Reviewed March 8, 2014 via mobile

I was truly surprised last night upon the results after our visit to Fumo. It came highly recommended and needless to say we were excited. The service was excellent and the atmosphere too however two of us ordered zuppe del pescatore ( a mixed seafood in a light and flavorful tomato broth) - I tend to always order this when I see it in an Italian restaurant as I find it an excellent way to distinguish 'good' from' great. The simplicity of this dish lends itself to a lot of creativity and imagination : the seafood must the tender and fresh to include everything : scallops, prawn, mussels, white fish, calamari and octopus but it is the broth that makes the dish and reflects so well the chefs ability to either master of completely misjudge his craft. At Fumo however we received a plate with some shellfish and … sardines??? I was amazed. Not an ideal companion and definitely not a substitute for white fish, scallops or octopus - all missing from our plates.

The broth itself was flavorful for sure but not light and soupy but thick and oily. I was wondering where the pasta is to balance this 'tomato paste'… not a thought that should cross one's mind when ordering this dish.

Such a surprise … needless to say, the staff and manager apologized and we got free dessert… I just hope they fix that error in the kitchen because otherwise Fumo may soon lose it's allure

Reviewed March 3, 2014

YUMM yumm YUMM! What a fantastic evening my friends and I had again at Fumo. Great service, absolutely delicious food and just the most relaxed warm atmosphere. Definitely give the seafood pasta and asparagus risotto a go!! I do love FUMO!

1  Thank Aletta M
Reviewed March 1, 2014

How this restaurant can be ranked 2 in Pretoria beats me. It is grossly overpriced for the quality of the food. If you want Italian food go to Ritrovo.
Having read the reviews and the info about recruiting an Italian chef, we decided to give it a try. Being a frequent visitor from England with an Italian holiday home we wondered whether we could get some authentic Italian food here. How disappointed we were. My wife ordered sardines which came with skins so burnt that the burnt taste permeated the flesh. I ordered a half pasta as starter which was quite reasonable. Our main courses of duck and veal came with overpowering sauces and in my case poor quality dauphinois potatoes. I suppose if the price had been halted it might have been value for money. But this place is priced with restaurants of much greater quality in the area, so don' t waste your money like we did.

3  Thank Puglianpal
Reviewed February 10, 2014

Another restaurant in Pretoria which was highly recommended by friends. I have to say, I was disappointed!
We had dinner in Fumo and we were a group of 7 people. Nice touch was that we got a table a bit hidden away so we could enjoy each others company. Service was friendly and efficient and we got our drinks quick. Food arrived in patches which was a bit disappointing. One person got a her plate when all others finished. We were told after complaining that this plate fell down the floor. Well - these things can happen but tell us please! Poor thing had a nipple from everybody else till her food arrive.
Well, when it comes down to presentation - all looked very nice. But I was not overly impressed by my plate at all. It was too salty and not nicely balanced for an Italian pasta dish! Too heavy too. I had Spaghetti alla Luciana. I tried most of the other dishes and I have to admit there was nothing which was "knocking my socks off". I'm afraid I wont go back because I think it's too expensive for what you get and there are much better food options out in Pretoria.