“Delightful Evening”

Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed October 25, 2013

The Smell of the Garlic bread as it was being made just made me look forward to the rest of the evening. As we sat on the terrace a clean and fresh breeze hit us on this Friday evening.

We got attention the moment we got in . The lady on duty gave us special options for the evening. I opted for the Artichoke salad and my son had the Fried Calamari. Its was so fresh and tasty that I ordered another salad as take away for my sick wife. For the mains we both had fish the full sea bream and a sea bass.

The grappa Elisi I had with my espresso wooooooow. The chef came to our table and it was a great feeling to have a chef check if you are happy with the food.

Thank you for a delightful evening we will come back again :)

1  Thank briandz

Reviewed October 24, 2013

Being in pretoria from Kimberly we were taken out by our friends to Fumo, the ambiance as we got there spelled welcome in capital letters. The lovely smile from the lady at the door and the greetings from the staff. Our friends told us to eat pasta or pizza . I ate the pasta with wild mushroom and my wife had the Diavola pizza. I also had a taste and it was just awesome. We will for sure pass by again on our way from, Polokwane

Reviewed October 21, 2013

From beautiful decor, to a beautiful, immaculately presented, friendly lady greeting and seating us, to a well presented, friendly waiter, to another beautiful, friendly lady giving us a well presented, beautifully described list of specials, we knew our night was off to an awesome start.

It got even better... the food was of top top quality. It looked stunning and tasted even better!!! Our evening honestly went from what we thought would be average to absolutely spectacular!!!

Chevonne, the hostess, makes one not want to leave with her gorgeous smile and friendly attitude. The manageress is extremely professional yet so so welcoming!!!! Thank you for making our number one choice of restaurants such an easy choice.

Fumo is a MUST!!!

David L, Owner at Fumo, responded to this reviewResponded October 22, 2013

Dear daphnegrobler,

We are so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your experience with us at Fumo. Getting feedback from our valued guests is of the utmost importance in a restaurant as it allows us to better understand their wants and needs, shows us where we are doing right and where we may be falling short.

I am happy that you found the Decor of the restaurant appealing. Much time was spent transforming the space into what you see today.

We have always tried to in still the importance for respect and appreciation of our valued guests as they are and will always be the most important person in the business. Being well presented, friendly and having a profressional manner is a good starting point toward the whole package that we hope to achieve for our guests.

As a restaurant one of the main, if not the main focus is on the food. I am so pleased that you enjoyed what was served to you on your visit. I will send your compliments to our kitchen team as they always appreciate feedback.

Shevaugn has been with us for about six months now and the guests seem to have taken a liking to her. With the involvement by management in the actual service, we feel it important to have a friendly face to focus on the guests satisfaction outside of their pallets. I will personally pass on the message to Shevaugn.

Once again, thank you for the complementary feedback and we look forward to your next visit.

Kindest regards,

David Lamberti
Owner

Reviewed October 20, 2013

If Fumo wants to be called fine dinning restaurant first they must improve service and menu and food recepies. Lets make it short and into a point:
Service: SHOCKER! From the hostess to the waitresses! Slow, unfriendly and not honest. Waitress and hostess kept forgetting our orders and requests all the time. We got not what we ordered. They also did not say truth to us that they do not have what we ordered but instead they just ignored us and made us waiting and waiting...
Food: very basic food overpriced. Could not not make a hollandaise sauce.
Wine: good selection but very overpriced.

3  Thank AlexandrovnaOF
David L, Owner at Fumo, responded to this reviewResponded October 21, 2013

Dear AlexandrovnaOF,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your "Experience" with us. At Fumo we value our guests comments and feedback regardless of whether they are positive or negative. It is only by taking in this feedback that we can identify what we are doing right and where we are falling short.

In your case however I see that your feedback is not based on your experience with us and is in fact an attempt to bring us down for reasons I can only imagine. You recently wrote a another review that was taken down due to suspicion by TripAdvisor. We responded privately to that review to find out where we went wrong and how we could make it up to you. Your response was that we were pretentious and that we needed to be careful because you work for a magazine.

Firstly, your eloquence and your grasp of the English language is a clear indicator that this is not the case and if it is in fact true, please advise us of what the magazine is called so that we may get in contact with the editor.

Secondly, we aim to be an Authentic Italian restaurant and definitely not a fine dining establishment. If you did in fact visit Fumo with the impression that fine dining is what we are then I apologise for your misunderstanding.

Thirdly, the essence of Authentic Italian is simplicity. Letting the ingredients and there individual flavours stand out in a dish. Because the reliance is on the ingredients themselves, no expense is spared when it comes to the quality in what we purchase. Most often quality comes at a price, although the vast majority of our guests comment on the value for money in what they get when they visit Fumo. Because we strictly adhere to the principles of Italian culture in cuisine, we alone were awarded the H'ospitalita Italiana (The mark of approval from the Italian government for our restaurant) in Pretoria and since, Fumo's Executive Chef, Claudio Uccello has been named the Ambassador for Italian Cuisine in South Africa. This being said, if you felt that our prices were to high for your pocket you should try Pizza Del Fourno just below our restaurant. They may meet the requirements of your pallet as well as your pocket. They also do spare ribs and burgers which is nice.

Lastly with regard to our wine list being overpriced. We recently submitted our list to the Diners Club Wine List Awards 2013. One of the chief criteria of these awards is that the wine list pricing needs to be fair and in line with the rest of the market. These awards are judged by a panel of wine experts and we were allocated a Platinum Award for our Wine List. However those guys might have been wrong, I will enquire immediately to whether they might have given us the award by mistake.

Please feel free to contact us if you have any further questions.

Kindest regards,

David Lamberti
Owner

Reviewed October 19, 2013

Having seen lionreporter's very bad review, I went to Fumo with some trepidation but was very pleasantly surprised. I can only conclude that lionreporter had some other agenda or ate at another restaurant! My starter was delicious as was my main (duck). My other guests had a rabbit risotto, which was delicous, creamy and al dente, and a mushroom pasta, whgich was likewise perfectly cooked and tasty. Certainly not overcooked. The salad was also good and the desserts excellent. Best of all, the prices were reasonable. The srevice was attentive and brisk throughout. Give it a try, you won't be disappointed. But it is not your average pizzeria, so try Toni's if that's what you're looking for.

1  Thank Peter225