“Keeps me coming back for more”
Review of Fumo

Fumo
Ranked #54 of 686 Restaurants in Pretoria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Delivery, Reservations
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Keeps me coming back for more”
Reviewed June 28, 2013 via mobile

Best of Italy in South Africa! The chef cooks for the Italian Embassador can you get more authentic than that?

Food is tasty, innovative and value for money.

Pretoria, South Africa
“Fumo ruined me”
Reviewed June 28, 2013

Since I discovered Fumo I can't eat at other restaurant, it's addictive! They should display a warning at the door "WARNING ADDICTIVE"!
Every time my wife and I want to go out for dinner we land up at Fumo, we we don't (because we like to try new restaurant) we regret we didn't go to Fumo. The point is, besides the excellent preparation of the food, wehre you can tase all the different shades of the various ingredients, the original Italian tradition that you can taste in every bite (I'm Italian and I lived in Italy for 32 years) the thing is that he has products that I can't find anywhere else: Kobe beek, fresh calms from Italy, Branzino, Orata, original copper extruded pasta (the traditional method). I eat out a lot, at the end if I want to treat myself, I always go to Fumo.
I like photography and I enjoy taking pictures of food. I'll add to this review few pics I took at Fumo.
Lastly, I don't think my wife and I are the only ones addicted to Fumo, because every time we go we see many familiar faces :-)

2 Thank Simone_Zanetti
“Home away from home”
Reviewed June 20, 2013

Having lived in JHB for only 6 years and being born and bred in Italy I can say without a doubt that this is the only really authentic Italian restaurant in the area. It is worth the trip from Joburg every time.

The food, pizza AND desserts are outstanding. The atmosphere is truly "Italian" and the service impeccable. It really makes me feel like I'm back home in Italy. The chef, Claudio, is passionate and it definitely shows!

Must haves:
Pizzas (like the ones you have in Napoli)
Pastas (ask for the specials- they are always a win)
All fish dishes. The chef's forte.
For the sweet tooths: chocolate fondant. It's the best!

This is by far my favourite restaurant away from home.

Pretoria, South Africa
“Our second home”
Reviewed June 19, 2013

I thoroughly enjoy reading all the reviews people have to write about this number one restaurant, but have never posted one of my own.
I am highly dismayed at the negative reviews that have been posted on trip TripAdvisor about Fumo. We are regular customers at this restaurant, and have not once had a problem with the service, food, or any other gripes that have been brought up in these past reviews.

Fumo's atmosphere is one of a kind - it is welcoming, yet professional and just makes you feel at home (in Italy of course)! The waitrons are friendly and unobtrusive when it comes to filling your empty glass or simply clearing your table (another rare attribute this restaurant possesses).

The food, whether it be a simple (yet tasty) pizza, an Al dente serving of pasta, an amazingly cooked piece of steak, or (my favorite) a trio of puddings - consisting of small helpings of creme brule, souffle and tiramisu (which just keep you wanting more), is all absolutely amazing!!! A little piece of Italy just a few blocks away!

This is the one and only restaurant I ALWAYS recommend to anybody and everybody!
We love you Fumo.

• Visited May 2013
Johannesburg, South Africa
“The best meal I have had for years”
Reviewed June 18, 2013

With it being only 25 minutes from Johannesburg, we recently visited Fumo with family and friends in Pretoria and I must say that from the starters to the desserts, I have not had a better meal in Johannesburg or Pretoria for years.

We had various dishes on the menu and every single person could not stop talking about how delicious their food was. I would defintely recommend it and we have already set up our next date with friends for dinner at Fumo in two weeks time.

• Visited May 2013
Review collected in partnership with this restaurant