“The best meal I have had for years”
Review of Fumo

Fumo
Ranked #52 of 747 Restaurants in Pretoria
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Large groups, Romantic
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Delivery, Reservations
Reviewed June 18, 2013

With it being only 25 minutes from Johannesburg, we recently visited Fumo with family and friends in Pretoria and I must say that from the starters to the desserts, I have not had a better meal in Johannesburg or Pretoria for years.

We had various dishes on the menu and every single person could not stop talking about how delicious their food was. I would defintely recommend it and we have already set up our next date with friends for dinner at Fumo in two weeks time.

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant

Reviewed June 17, 2013

I went to this restaurant in a party of four. All four of us had a great meal which could have been right out of Italy. The ambience was great, warm and quiet. Wines were excellent and service unobtrusive and efficient.

In Gauteng, which is filled with mediocre restaurants, this one is superior, and stands head and shoulders above the rest.

Loved it!

Review collected in partnership with this restaurant
Reviewed June 17, 2013 via mobile

We are going out often, sunday we decide to try this italian restaurant. First time and will be not the last. Great service, which it is not familiar with pretoria, very good food with an authentic italian touch, wine list for any type of budget, we will back soon Arrivederce Fumo

Reviewed June 14, 2013

As this was rated nr 1 on Tripadvisor, we were looking forward to the evening. When I asked for the specials, the waiter started off by telling what the restaurant has ran out off. Really? Friday night? The food was far below avergae where both pasta dishes we ordered were undercooked (I know what Al dente is, but this was rock hard). The seafood in the pasta was so overcooked, it tasted like rubber! And to top this evening off, the wine was SUPER expensive. Waiter couldn't even propperly speak English either. Never agin!

1  Thank Wikus S
Reviewed June 12, 2013

I choose this restaurant for my birthday celebration with my husband last night and what a disappointing end to my day. The look and feel of the restaurant is very nice and cosy and unfortunately that is my only positive feedback. Firstly, when your patrons walk in with a bottle of French champagne, one would think that they would ask if we are celebrating a special occasion - no they did not. Not to worry, let's move on. Menus were brought to the table - mine was torn, my husbands had hardened food on the cover and the wine list were also dirty! Ordered our starters which were not bad but definitely not wow. Then we took a while to decide on the mains and after going back and forth, we decided on the duck and lamb rack. We were almost ready to order, when the hostess arrived to tell us about the specials for the night - a bit late I think. She took our order and after a while the waitress came back to say they have run out of lamb rack! I am fully aware that this do happen, but shouldn't you keep your patrons up to date with what is available and what not especially if they have taken 30 min to decide on their main course. We then opted for the duck still and the prawn pasta. My husband had the duck and it was "okay" and my pasta was really bad. It was not properly cooked and I know the difference between "al dente" and badly cooked pasta layers sticking to each other. I am sorry Fumo, but you will not see us again.

1  Thank Inge d
David L, Owner at Fumo, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2013

Good day Inge d,

Thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback on your experience with us. It is essential for us to get this feedback in order to improve our offering to our valued guests.

Firstly, I would like to apologise for Fumo not living up to your expectations and on the night not being of the high standard that our valued guests have become accustomed to at the restaurant.

With regards to you bringing in your own bottle of Champagne. At Fumo, we have spent a great deal of time sourcing and making available to our guests a wide range of Wines and Champagnes, however we welcome our guests to bring in their own preferences as far as wines/champagnes are concerned as we all have our own unique tastes. Many of our guest often bring in their own bottles and in most cases there is no special occasion to celebrate. Our guests usually advise us of a celebration or special occasion upon entering the establishment or prior to their arrival. I do apologise however if we did not make you feel as though your special night was of little concern to us. This is most definitely not the case and we would have loved to make your experience with us one to remember with an extra gesture to celebrate the occasion as we do with all our valued guests.

You mentioned that the state of the menus were not good. This is unacceptable and I will be investigating this matter immediately to weed out the problem so that this does not occur again.

At Fumo, we pride ourself on using only the freshest ingredients and as such we order on a daily basis. This means that on the rare occasion, we may run short of a specific menu item due to a high demand on that particular dish on that day. The managers are updated on a continual basis from the kitchen as to what is still available and in this case we had just sold the last portion.

As my Executive Chef and Partner, Claudio Uccello tried to explain to you upon leaving the restaurant, the type of pasta used in the dish that you ordered was a Maltagliati. This pasta, being high in starch and it being Lasagne like pasta does make the layers stick together once prepared. This being said we never want one of our valued guests to be dissatisfied with the dish they have selected and we are always willing to exchang the dish for anything else he/she may be interested in on the menu at no extra charge. However, to do this we need to be made aware of the this prior to the dish being completely finished as was the case in this instance.

With all this being said, the fact that you did not have a pleasant experience at Fumo on your special day is not excusable and I will be contacting you shortly to try and rectify this uncommon yet very unfortunate instance.

Kindest regards,