“Great oysters, great service from Lukas, prawns overcooked.”
Review of LM in the East

LM in the East
Ranked #89 of 724 Restaurants in Pretoria
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed January 14, 2013 via mobile

Sunday lunch - oysters did not disappoint. Salmon sublime. King prawns overcooked and then he issue so well handled and dealt with by Lukas. Service was great. Complimentary shooters ensured we ended on a high!

Reviewed January 13, 2013

During Dec 2012 we visited LM in the east, started a number of years ago by the son of the then owner of the LM in Church str. Pretoria. We enjoyed many a fantastic meal there till it was sold and the new owner just could not match the previous owner, a Portuguese gentleman in quality and service, and had to close.

LM in the east was also sold by the son and it seems the very same is happening to this restaurant. During our meal, we saw the "owner/manager" about six times comming out of and returning to the bar, but not once did he stop at our table to inquire weather everything was fine or not. The very same was found with the "Receptionist/manager" We had to call every time needed service even though only 5 tables were occupied. I was told the their chef is the same person that worked at LM Church street, and if it is so, then somebody most definitely changed the recipes.

A department of the oral health hospital, a section of University of Pretoria, had their year end function at LM in the East, and the majority of the party was dissatisfied with both food and service.

Reviewed January 13, 2013

This place within walking distance from me and always packed out. Best to book. Great food and friendly service. A lot of good fish dishes but also some meat and pasta and pizza. Good wine selection too.

Reviewed September 24, 2012

Over the past 7 years I have been travelling to South Africa between 3-5 times a year, every visit has included time in Pretoria to visit an aunt, who lives in Lynwood. She introduced me to LM in the East many years ago and when I became regular visitor to SA again after moving to the UK in 2001, I made it my job to visit LM. I have found the food and service to always be outstanding, however, like every place, you only as good as your last visit. This was in June 2012 (I promised to write a review - taken some time), the touch of bringing chicken livers and bread to the table on arrival is a neat touch, not for vegetarians of course, LM as ever delivered seafood of the highest quality and value. The venue is perhaps not the most ideal for a day time meal for visitors to South Africa (I was there during the day and have been many times - food means more to me than the outdoors), wishing to enjoy the outdoors, it is ideal for an evening meal, within a very safe and secure part of the City. I would say further that it is not ideally suited for taking young children, although I am sure the staff would be happy to host those with small children. I can strongly recommend a visit if you are in Pretoria, if only to debunk the myth that seafood inland (one of my wife's aphorisms) is never the best. LM in the East proofs this for the falsehood that its is.

Reviewed July 6, 2012

This was our second visit in 2 months, every time for Sunday lunch.
Cosy ambience, attentive and friendly service.
Very good food, resonably priced.