“Business or Pleasure a welcoming haven”

Mont D'or Bohemian House
Ranked #4 of 360 Pretoria B&B and Inns
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Business or Pleasure a welcoming haven”
Reviewed June 11, 2012

Whether you are staying for business reasons or pleasure the Bohemian is a wonderful place to stay. Both Alta, Johan and Chris are the perfect hosts. The house is set in a beautiful tranquil garden setting and the rooms all individually designed are so comfortable and relaxing. Everyone makes you feel sooo welcome as soon as you arrive and NOTHING is too much trouble. The food is amazing and all home cooked using the best local fresh ingredients. Their local knowledge is extremely good and will arrange very interesting tours for you so that you maximize your stay in this magnificent country

Both my husband and I have stayed here many times and would not hesitate to recommend it.

You will not be disappointed and I am sure you will have a fantastic stay with many happy memories and quite possibly new friends :)

Room Tip: All the rooms are great just let Alta and Johan know what your requirements are and I'm sure the...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
bohemianthebest, Owner at Mont D'or Bohemian House, responded to this review, June 13, 2012
We do appreciate you taking the time and effort to write a review.
It is also easy to walk the extra mile for you guys because you both are such special people.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (25)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed June 7, 2012

I have been a patron of the Bohemian House for years. Alta, Johann, and Chris are like family to us.

What's so great?
-- Impeccably decorated themed bedrooms that display treasures picked up from the Minaar's travels all over the world.
-- The softest, best sheets you will EVER sleep on!
-- Wireless throughout the house
-- Cable TV and aircon
-- Heated towel bars in the spacious bathrooms
-- Did I mention the bed was amazing???????
-- Beautiful pool and lounge area set amidst beautifully maintained gardens
-- Super secure locale
-- In room fruits and beverages

The best thing? The food. Alta and Johann make delicious full breakfasts, complete with fresh fruit and yogurt parfaits as a starter and eggs made to order. Tea and coffee are readily available throughout the day. Alta sets the tone for a peaceful day by playing amazing music during the meal. I actually picked a song for my wedding while listening to Alta's music at breakfast one morning!

Dinners are a delight! I've made Alta's tzatziki recipe for years! Although there are some delicious restaurants within walking distance (Ritrovo, BICCCS, Gameal's), you really don't need to go elsewhere for a lovely weeknight meal. Expect 3 amazing courses and to be pleasantly stuffed!

As I mentioned, you can walk to a wonderful shopping center. The neighborhood is safe and a great place for going for a walk or run during the day. If you need to go somewhere, Bohemian House offers a shuttle service - just ask! (if you're staying in town for work, they will take you to/from work each day if needed!)

Staff are friendly, reservations are easy, and Penny the daschund is my favorite breakfast buddy!

Bohemian House is the only place I recommend to my colleagues and friends. Enjoy the five star treatment - this is what a bed and breakfast should be!

Room Tip: I personally love the Vietnam room. While its a bit on the small side, the bathroom/tub are lovely!
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you ,we do love your kind words.
Thank you for telling your friends about us.
Stellenbosch, Western Cape, South Africa
Reviewed May 31, 2012

This is always my home when I visit Gauteng. Johan, Alta, Christo and their lovely staff regularly makes me at home as I frequently stay here. Each room represents a different part of the word and tells a story of Johan and Alta's love for travel to fascinating places of art, where they collected the most valued and beautiful decorations. I have the privilege to have stayed in almost all rooms, and always look forward to what theme will be next. For business in Pretoria or Johannesburg, this is the most central place to stay and all destinations are easily accessible from here. Breakfasts are always a treat, but do not miss out on home-style South African dinners made by the Minnaar family.

Room Tip: They are all fantastic - each room represent a different part of the world, so leave it up to surpri...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
bohemianthebest, Owner at Mont D'or Bohemian House, responded to this review, October 2, 2013
Thank you once again for staying with us on such a regular basis.
We enjoy having you here and appreciate your support.
Seattle
Reviewed October 8, 2011

My husband and I were thrilled and delighted with our stay at the Bohemian House after a grueling 22 hour flight from Seattle. This guest house is located in a residential area of beautiful homes. We were greeted warmly by Chris and showed to our small, but charming and comfortable room. We needed to unwind before turning in, so we sat in the covered outdoor courtyard enjoying a cold beer and the sound of rain. The decor is South African chic with a contemporary bathroom. We met our gracious hosts Alta and Johan in the morning, and enjoyed an excellent breakfast that surpassed our expectations. The building itself is incredibly charming and the landscaping gorgeous. You can't go wrong by deciding to stay at the Bohemian House. We would have liked to have stayed longer!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
bohemianthebest, Owner at Mont D'or Bohemian House, responded to this review, October 31, 2014
We do realize that your are extremely busy, therefore we appreciate your review and remarks.
It does help future guests do read an unbiased review,
Thank you,see you soon.
Pretoria, South Africa
Reviewed August 8, 2011

We spend the night in the honeymoon suite and felt like a king and queen.
All the rooms are beautifully decorated, and the service is 5 star.
The food is out of this world and the staff are extremly friendly and helpfull.
Everything you need - internet, close to Pta and Brooklyn, bar facilities etc.
Tranquility in the city.
A MUST STAY - WE WILL BE BACK.

Room Tip: Each of the 10 rooms are VERY special, and it is hard to choose the most beautifull one!
  • Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
bohemianthebest, Owner at Mont D'or Bohemian House, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
And you have been back a nuber of times!
Thank you for your ongoing support.
Sydney
Reviewed August 5, 2011

I am fortunate enough to have stayed in some of the leading hotels and guesthouses all over the world through business trips and holidays. I can say without reservation I have never stayed in a guesthouse that can compare to Behemian House.

The accomodation is outstanding, beautifully appointed and furnished rooms, each with their own character, sumptuous comfortable beds, artwork scttered throughout and an attention to detail and quality second to none.

If that weren't enough to tempt you, the hospitality of Alta, Johan and Chris is as warm as the roaring fire in the winter. Nothing is too much trouble and the friendly, helpful and dedicated staff are also a credit to them. Other than being welcoming, the food is of top class restaurant quality, so much so that you often find yourself reluctant to go out for dinner but instead enjoy the fabulous food, hospitality and wine experience without having to go anywhere. When you go and stay, be sure to ask Alta to make her legendary Chicken Pie. Just taste it, no description can do it justice!

I have stayed there many times, and now consider myself lucky to count Alta, Johan and Chris as friends.

If you're looking for the best quality guesthouse and gastronomic experience you can find anywhere (and I mean anywhere), this is the place for you.

• Stayed August 2011, traveled on business
1 Thank StuCassie
Thank you for your ongoing support,we really appreciate your regular stays with us!
Luanda, Angola
Reviewed June 29, 2011

Johan, Alta & Chris never fail to delight and are the perfect hosts. I have been a guest a number of times over the last few years, which included an extented stay whilst on business in Pretoria. The Bohemian is a secure haven in an upmarket area on the outskirts of the city which caters for those who expect high standards when it comes to their comforts. All the rooms are individually themed and set well back from the road which limits traffic noise. Personalised service and attention to detail in eclectic surroundings is at the heart of this successful venture. My company uses the Bohemian as the standard for visiting senior management. The warm and sincere welcome I receive with every visit makes it feel as though I am coming home. My only constructive critisism is that the choice of satellite TV channels is limited. I highly recommend a stay at the Bohemian which is South African hospitality at its best.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled on business
bohemianthebest, Owner at Mont D'or Bohemian House, responded to this review, August 10, 2011
Thank you Ian for your honest review.
We do appreciate your ongoing support.
We are at presently looking at the possibility to have all the channels in all the rooms.
Regards,