“Home from home”

Ranked #8 of 358 Pretoria B&B and Inns
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
“Home from home”
Reviewed April 12, 2012

I highly recommend Melvin Residence, based on my experience and stay there. You couldn't wish for better hosts and the rooms are elegantly appointed. It felt like home from home to me. I was in town for a weekend workshop and especially loved my Sunday breakfast served under the gracious old trees of this beautiful home. Most of all, staying as a women on my own, I felt absolutely safe.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled solo
PietvanBiljon, Owner at Melvin Residence Guest House, responded to this review, August 27, 2012
It was a pleasure having you here. We hope ypu will visit us agin real soon!

Piet & Elize van Biljon

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (11)
cape town
Reviewed March 13, 2012

Stayed there in march and the food was just terrible. Was even lazy to have breakfast. My company also paid for dinner which cost R70 extra per day but the food I was getting was like it cost R20. They leave the dinner in your room, so unattractive wrapped with a plastic. For almost 2 weeks I was served rice meet with horrible veges and when I asked for something different I got worse. I don't know, maybe they treat guests differently. But I got the worst service.

I wouldn't want to stay in melvin residence ever again. I am not even sure how it got its 4 stars.

• Stayed March 2012
PietvanBiljon, Owner at Melvin Residence Guest House, responded to this review, June 2, 2014
Dear travelaah
Thank you so much for taking the time to post a review of our guest house. It is a pity that you did not bring these issues to our attention while you were here. We would have attended to it right away!

We would appreciate the opportunity to discuss your comments further so that we can examine your issues you experienced further. Please reach out to us directly at piet@melvinresidence.co.za

Piet van Biljon
Thornton Cleveleys, United Kingdom
Reviewed February 27, 2012

We, five of us needing 3 rooms, were looking for a place for one night, not too far from Jo'burg after the long flight and a convenient stop off before driving on to the Kruger Park. Based on ther reviews we booked the Melvin and it was ideal. Excellent location, lovely buildings and setting, very clean and comfortable rooms. Piet was there to greet us and provide the necessary local information, including recommended restaurants. After a long journey, a six pack of cold beers was desperately needed. Piet duly obliged and we enjoyed a very pleasant late afternoon drink on the veranda in the heat of South Africa. The holiday had started! Breakfast was first class, a brilaint start to the day before our onward journey. I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled with family
PietvanBiljon, Owner at Melvin Residence Guest House, responded to this review, February 29, 2012
Good afternoon Fred,
Thank you for the review.
It was a pleasure having you and your family here.
We hope to welcome you back again soon.

Piet
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed February 21, 2012

We had a lovely stay at Melvin. Great breakfast and comfortable bed. Piet was so helpful with local advice and recommendations. It was nice to walk to nearby cafe 41. Melrose House is well worth a visit as is the Union Building gardens.

• Stayed February 2012, traveled as a couple
Thank you for your kind review. We always enjoy getting feedback from our local guests. Hope to welcome you back again soon!

Piet & Elize van Biljon
Winterhude, Hamburg, Germany
Reviewed February 13, 2012

My two weeks business trip in Pretoria where very nice at the Malvin Residence. Piet got a lot of recomendations for dinner and more. If I would come back to Pretoria I would allways take a room here. The rooms are always clear, the breakfast was very good and all of the staff were very obliging.
Cheers, Arne

Room Tip: Book fast, there are only 6 rooms. All of them are nice!
Good afternoon

It was a pleasure having you here.
All you need to do is arrange for another visi to South Africa.

Piet
San Francisco
Reviewed February 2, 2012

Piet is an extremely friendly, welcoming host. The period house has been lovingly restored along with the guest rooms which are in the old workers quarters. The rooms all have a veranda that is perfect for sun-downer drinks, and the rooms all have dish TV and internet access (for a small extra fee). The breakfasts are great. The location is safe and quiet with walkable streets – in fact there are joggers each morning and evening running up to the Union Building terraces for exercise. It also has easy access to downtown and to the Hatfield Gautrain and restaurants.
This guest house is perfect for business workers and for tourists – especially for first time visitors who are nervous about feeling safe and welcome in South Africa.

Room Tip: Rooms 1 and 2 have the best veranda views
1 Thank EricHalfaBee
PietvanBiljon, Owner at Melvin Residence Guest House, responded to this review, February 5, 2012
Thank you for posting a review. It was a pleasure having you here. We are already looking forward to your next trip!
Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed January 26, 2012

I'm a regular guest at the Melvin Residence in Pretoria, at least three times a month. For me, it's a home away from my Cape Town home. Conveniently situated, close to a Hatfield Gautrain bus stop, it's also a short hop into the city, and right on the access routes to get to the east of Pretoria. I particularly like the rooms, all with an outside entrance, so there isn't the sense of intruding into someone's home when you get back from dinner. Yet Piet and Elise's home is open and welcoming when you do venture in. Very comfortable rooms, seriously excellent breakfasts (the omelets are well worth a try), it's difficult to imagine choosing to go elsewhere when staying in Pretoria.

Room Tip: Always turn down Room number 1. That's reserved for me. :-))
  • Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Thank you for submitting a review of our facility. I beleive you are right . .room1 is reserved for you!