“Very average for the price you pay”
Review of Casa Toscana Lodge

Casa Toscana Lodge
Ranked #13 of 73 Hotels in Pretoria
Reviewed July 20, 2014

I stayed 2 nights while attending a conference at the CSIR. The first night I arrived I decided to order room service, I had the ratatouille lasagne. Well there was no tomato in the lasagne, no brinjals just a lot of left over broccoli and carrots and far too much cheese. The beer I ordered was also not cold. The breakfast on the first morning was good, with buffet style and the offer of muffins and croissants as well. The second morning there were no muffins and pastries and when I asked they said no not this morning but apparently after querying this with the kitchen manager she did say they were meant to have them out every morning. I had also earlier asked for marmalade only to be told they only had apricot jam. Surely marmalade is a stock standard thing to have out for breakfast? I did voice my unhappiness with the kitchen manager who was very apologetic and promised to take it further! The rooms were comfortable although the carpets felt very grimey. I can't say after that experience I would recommend it to anyone and I won't be staying here again even if it is conveniently close to the CSIR convention centre.

• Stayed: July 2014, traveled on business
Anette B, Owner at Casa Toscana Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 22, 2014

Good evening

I am very sad to read your review on our Hotel. I do sincerely apologies for the sub standard service and food delivery that you received from our Hotel.

Our Carpets were washed, sanitized and cleaned two weeks ago. I will check up on his again. Could you possible let me know what room your stayed in. anette@casatoscana.co.za.

Please be assured that I will definitely follow your suggestions / complaints up with the relevant departments.

We would not like to lose you as a client and would like to request that you please give us another opportunity.

Owner / General Manager

There are newer reviews for Casa Toscana Lodge

Reviewed July 10, 2014

i had a really great stay here, the rooms were warm and clean. plenty of hot water, awesome breakfast, food and plenty entertainment. oh! and wifi is available too. the people are very warm and caring.and if you having any training or business at the CSIR or NLA THEN ITS THE SPOT. just a few minutes walk. easy access to the mall and roads. i enjoyed my stay and so looking forward to visiting again! ;)

• Stayed: June 2014, traveled on business
1  Thank Natie4k
Reviewed May 2, 2014

Attended a show at the Blou Hond venue. Don't have anything good to say (I guess the music was OK - not the supporting act, though). Overall impression is that they see this event as an excuse to print money - they minimise their outlay, charge high prices, squeeze in tables creating a safety hazard, provide zero service - and do not care at all about the customer experience.

- Enquired about the menu ahead of time to find that it was an unappealing buffet of mainly starch-based unhealthy unappealing food. A request to accommodate dietary restrictions or to skip the meal was refused (same price of almost R300 payable whether one chose to eat or not).
- Glass of wine cost R55 - going rate for this quality of wine at much higher end establishments not more than R40. Struggled to find anyone to serve it.
- Was seated behind a huge pillar so had no visibiiltiy of the stage for the performance.
- Tables were crammed so close together that it was impossible to navigate between them while everyone was seated - could only get past while people were queuing at the inaccessible buffet area upstairs - good luck if you want to use the bathrooms! Not to mention the extreme safety hazard this created...
- Buffet was even worse than it looked on paper - stodgy, tasteless, unappetising, unhealthy - institutional food at its worst. Only scraps were left when we went to get dessert. Coffee was cold.
- The supporting act was appalling - a total embarrassment.

The price of the tickets is so disproportionate to the experience and the value offered and is a complete disgrace. This is clearly an establishment that holds its clientele in contempt, assuming that they will be happy to shell out and meekly accept bad food, bad service, discomfort and safety risks in return.

• Stayed: April 2014, traveled with friends
8  Thank raw249
Anette B, General Manager at Casa Toscana Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded May 14, 2014

Good day

We are extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy the Blou Hond experience that we offer weekly.

We did offer to purchase Kosher meals in for you, but unfortunately is was at an extra cost and the lady that did the booking declined the offer.

We will certainly make sure to improve our service to our customers and value your response and suggestions.

Reviewed February 8, 2014

I stayed five nights at the hotel, where I had also arranged a week-long workshop for 14 people. The food was fantastic, really really good, and ordered via an iPad so you could get an excellent idea of what it looked like - and it lived up to expectations almost every time. The gardens were lovely and well maintained, and there were little gazebos dotted around where you could enjoy a quiet meal a deux. However, service was erratic - one morning it took 20 minutes even to order a cup of coffee. I was organizing a week-long workshop; I had to seek out the supposed responsible person at every turn - the only time she approached us was to get us to fill out orders for lunch. Reception was perfunctory at best and hopeless at worst. But oh, the room! I suppose the most frustrating was the lack of light; with all lights on and the curtains open to let in some daylight, I had to tilt down the laptop screen to see the keyboard, then tilt it back up to read it. It was impossible to read in bed - there just wasn't enough light. The pillow case and two towels were frayed at the edges. There were no proper drawers for clothing. I was lucky; my room was some way away from the highway - my fellow lecturer started off in a front room and didn't sleep a wink. The furniture had been artificially distressed - it looked plain dirty. And the decoration! I have never before encountered a toilet wrapped in a silken veil! Or a carpet over the (empty) bar fridge. And even getting to the front door was an adventure - when I arrived, there was a hornet's nest over the entrance; and on the path a bit of roof stuck out and I nearly brained myself hurrying through the rain
So there was some good - which made the rest just tolerable.

Room Tip: Steer clear of 1 to 9
  • Stayed: February 2014, traveled on business
2  Thank A-Nutty-Prof

Good day

We are extremely disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay at our Hotel.

If I look at the photo's you posted of the room, then the room you stayed in, has designer furniture that is specifically designed to look as if the paint is peeling off.

I do apologise if this is not to your liking and we will certainly book you in another room with different furniture should you wish to stay with us again.

Reviewed November 14, 2013

The breakfast is good, the technician is great, much of staff friendly, but rooms are far from 4 star quality. They missed a wake up call, "bridal suite" has no shower, which is a bit odd. And the TV sets are old and difficult to manage. Restaurant is OK.

• Stayed: November 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank AnotherKlaus
Reviewed November 12, 2013

After arriving from a very long trip across the country, my expectations for the last destinations are always high after a long queue at the Car Hire Company and knees unwilling to keep me standing. This was my second stay at the Tuscan lodge which I presume was a second chance I have given the place to be potentially delighted should they recognize me from the previous complaint I lodged during my visit early in the year.

It was great to be welcomed by a very nice gentleman on arrival, however the same issue I had during my previous stay kicked in at reception. “No guest allowed in the rooms”. Well, I never had that issue at Hiltons and Pacific Hotels, and this was kind of disappointing to know that I cannot receive friends, family or business partners in my room whilst the hotel doesn’t offer proper lounge settings for guest who wouldn’t mind a bit of privacy. I have personally mentioned it during my first visit and the improvement turn out to be that the guest has to sign a disclaimer or be fined R300 for a visitor who isn’t even staying over. This was really annoying and I wish I could have been refunded my 5 days stay and more convenient place. Such an unpleasant experience twice with management handling guests with low esteem.

The only things that really stand out for the lodge is just the food and the location convenience, if that is reason enough to be a 4 star guesthouse. The aircon wasn’t working properly and I had battled enough with it just to realise in the morning that I had already slept in a cold room at 21 degree since I was exhausted when I arrived.

While I do understand that low staff count can cause issues, my expectations of a lodge is higher than any hotels because guest need a personal touch which they often cannot find in large hotel chains. Thus, personally, after two epic fail at this lodge, I wouldn’t recommend it.

• Stayed: October 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank BoiSirius
Reviewed July 15, 2013

We arrived quite late in the evening to an ice cold room. One would think the room air conditioner (which is prehistoric) would have been set to warm up the room. The fact that the room and bathroom is all tiled makes the room very uninviting and of course freezing.
The bed was made up terribly. The blanket was not tucked in and with a couple of turns well the linen was a mess.
For a 'claimed' 4 star accommodation, three items stood out like a sore thumb. Firstly the bathroom towels were BONE DRY!! It is as-if someone left them in the sun for two weeks. It was like wiping yourself against the bark of a tree. Not even ironed!! I called the following morning to request soft new towels and was handed with new towels in exactly the same condition. Staff claiming that they do not have dryers. I assume she speaks of a tumble dryer. Secondly again for a 4 star how on earth do you supply your guests with 1 ply toilet paper. Terrible....
The air conditioner makes such a huge noise in the room one has to put the television on maximum volume to hear anything.
Thirdly, extraction fans in bathrooms are put it when no ventilation is available...there is a huge window in the bathroom....on a cold evening the extraction fan actually draws in cold air...very very stark bathroom...
Overall terrible experience and for R 1 550 per night!!! Will never stay the again neither will it ever be recommended.
About 1 hr after leaving the following morning i received and email from the General Manager thanking us for the patronage and hoping our experience was a lovely one!! What a cheek!! The general manager wasn't even there on check out to establish whether we had a good evening or not....but there was two ladies at the counter that didn't even bother to say thank you or ask how our stay was. Pathetic service!!

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled as a couple
3  Thank Silvia T
Anette B, Owner at Casa Toscana Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded July 17, 2013

Dear client

I will investigate this matter and will post a response in due course. We are very disappointed that you did not enjoy your stay with us.