“Meticulous service on a Monday night: or think pink”

Cynthia's Indigo Moon
Ranked #43 of 703 Restaurants in Pretoria
Good for: Large groups, Local cuisine, Business meetings
Dining options: Dinner, Lunch, Late Night, Reservations
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Meticulous service on a Monday night: or think pink”
Reviewed August 25, 2014

First time at Cynthia's. Great vibe, helpful waiters, meticulous service. Interesting and inspiring decor that sets the right tone without being overwhelming. The starters were more than adequate: calamari heads curry and a salad that was one of the specials of the day. The main course was magnificent with the deboned duck cooked perfectly. My partner did not like the oxtail (one of the specials) as much as I did the duck. The sorbet in between courses was very welcome although a touch too pink for my liking. Yes brighter than calamine. A hot pink. But it was a night that will be remembered and one of the best dining experiences I have had in Pretoria.

• Visited August 2014

Pretoria, South Africa
“Dinner devine”
Reviewed August 10, 2014 via mobile

Had a friday night dinner at Cynthia's. Have not had dinner here in a long time, but the food was still the same standard as i remembered. The menu changed a bit but there r still some surprises that is not on the menu, as well as the starter and pallet cleanser between meals! We had fillets which was done to perfection, medium is medium...

Visited August 2014
1 Thank eelehb
Pretoria, South Africa
“Romantic and Unobtrusive”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

My wife and I recently had an anniversary dinner at the restaurant on recommendation. On booking we were asked if it was a special occasion. We were seated close to the fireplace. Despite it being in the thoroughfare for a great part of the restaurant, the staff brought in guests and passed by without us feeling disturbed. The patrons seem to respect the basic restaurant etiquette which you will not find in the chain steakhouse etc. Once seated we were left to decide at our leisure on what we would drink and there was not the normal rush of getting a drinks order. The menu has a great variety and the portions are generous. The wine list has a fair selection of the 'ordinary' label wines and estate wines. The ambience was complimented by efficient and unobtrusive service as well as music at just an audible level without having to speak slightly louder than a whisper. It is a place for all occasions but certainly not for families with small children.

• Visited July 2014
“I was disappointed!”
Reviewed August 5, 2014

Cynthia's has always been the restaurant to go to for a celebration. Dress up a bit, enjoy the food and atmosphere. I must admit I haven't been in years so it was a huge disappointment to find it doesn't measure up to my memories. The menu items was uninspiring and just old. Nothing new to delight the palate. No new flavours and combinations. Not just traditional but heavy emphasis on sauces. There was tiny babies there that night that did what babies will. Cry. The babies were put on tables in their carry seats. That changed my dining experience! I have a granddaugter so I take her to a restaurant where her presence don't disturb the other patrons. Pretoria has many child friendly restaurants. The dress code was casual and not smart casual. Our service was good but couldn't make up for a feeling of disappointment.

• Visited July 2014
Johannesburg, South Africa
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Simply one of the best restaurants in the country.”
Reviewed July 27, 2014 via mobile

I took a client here for a "business" lunch. The setting is very upmarket. The food was absolutely superb and the service was great. The wine which the maitre 'd recommended was probably the best merlot I've ever had. Can't wait to go back. There are so many items on the menu I want to try, knowing they are going to be just perfectly prepared. It's expensive, but worth every cent.

• Visited June 2014