“Disappointed by service”

Ritrovo
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Romantic, Large groups, Special occasions, Business meetings
Dining options: Breakfast, Late Night, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Ritrovo was established in 1995 as South Africa's first fully authentic Italian fine dining venue. Over the last 20 years Ritrovo has won more than 50 local and international awards and has become SA's most award winning Italian restaurant. At Ritrovo fresh seasonal ingredients and very traditional Italian regional specialities fuse with old school European restaurant service and a magnificent 10,000+ bottle wine cellar with two internationally qualified sommeliers to guide you through its treasures. With the owners always on hand Ritrovo is an experience to be savoured and enjoyed in comfort.
Reviewed April 6, 2014

I do not enjoy having the chef insult my menu choices - I don't eat meat, and when I asked for fish, was told it's 'uninspired'. Well, offer something better then - I don't know if the chef believes that one feels in the presence of 'greatness' if you're made to feel inferior, but it doesn't work for me. Also, I felt the food was ridiculously overpriced. I have eaten better for less at La Pentola, Kream, etc. I won't set foot in Ritrovo again.

2  Thank Stefani C

Reviewed April 3, 2014

This award-winning restaurant is one of the best in Pretoria. At a recent group luncheon that I hosted the food was spectacular, the view over Waterkloof beautiful in the afternoon sunlight, the service excellent (especially since the group was 11 people), and Forti topped off his superb cooking by singing a Verdi aria for one of our guests. Highly recommended, with or without the performance!

Reviewed March 31, 2014

We have been frequenting Ritrovo since its opening almost 20 years ago and the Mazzone's even longer (who remembers their delightfull pizeria in Sunnyside?). After two bad experiences in a row some two years ago, we've been avoiding Ritrovo. Revisited them last week and the standard of the food is quite a bit better than on the last two occasions, although still no more than a shadow of the fine dining they offered some 10 years ago. My scallops for starter was pretty average but the grilled Kabeljou for main course was very good. My wife had the prawns and found it to be as good as any you will find in Pretoria. The wine list remains quite impressive (although priced a bit over the top). Service is still good and attentive to the diners' needs.

Reviewed March 23, 2014

Everything was just fine but the oysters just ruined our visit there. I just thought is was us (my girl and I) till I saw the last post. I suggest you get a new food supplier.

1  Thank soprano369
Reviewed March 18, 2014

Friendly personnell trying to sell you things that are almost over date, so do pick the card and leave the advise for what it is ;-) Had a good wine, the start from my wife was also very ok, my starter with oysters was a misery, the first one was ok, the second one reasonable and the third one was just stinking and tasting awfull. I am a great fan of oysters, whenever we have a change we go out and eat them. I remember one particular michelin star restaurant in Paris with more than 25 different types of oysters on the card, we tried a lot with champagne and had an excellent evening. The main course was the most prestigious and expensive piece of meat on the card. We ordered it medium, and it was not medium but almost done, furthermore it was drowned in some kind of flavourless sauce. yuk ! not my kind of taste, but whomever likes it likes it. It was not bad, without the sauce and medium it would probably have been great. This restaurant was a complete waste of money and time. Try the greek restaurant just a few meters further for better food !

1  Thank DutchWindsurfer