“Lovely”

Ritrovo
Cuisines: Italian
Good for: Business meetings, Large groups, Special occasions, Romantic
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Dinner, Reservations
Description: Ritrovo was established in 1995 as South Africa's first fully authentic Italian fine dining venue. Over the last 20 years Ritrovo has won more than 50 local and international awards and has become SA's most award winning Italian restaurant. At Ritrovo fresh seasonal ingredients and very traditional Italian regional specialities fuse with old school European restaurant service and a magnificent 10,000+ bottle wine cellar with two internationally qualified sommeliers to guide you through its treasures. With the owners always on hand Ritrovo is an experience to be savoured and enjoyed in comfort.
Reviewed April 8, 2013

We went there Saturday night to celebrate a friend's 3rd degree as she came all the way from Cape Town.
Food was great.
Service was great.
Recommendations by management was great.
Lovely evening.
We want to go again and take more friends.
The food wasn't cheap, but we felt like the value and quantity was worth it!

1  Thank beatricedekock

Reviewed April 7, 2013

Ritrovo will not be Ritrovo without Forti. He always comes by to say hallo to everyone. His food is really good and his wine list outstanding. His vineyard, Saronsberg, in the Western Cape is making his signature wine called 'Nick & Forti's'. The service is excellent, the food very good. Not the venue for a romantic dinner, too loud. Actually the place needs a renovation to make it a bit more contemporary. Other than that. An excellent, authentic Italian restaurant.

Reviewed April 7, 2013

I took my Wife to dine at Ritrovo, Waterkloof today for her birthday (Apr 2013). I was thoroughly disappointed. Coughed up R653 for lunch. If I visit a restaurant and dine at these types of prices, I want something exceptional; otherwise I'll just go to McDonalds and grab a Mcsomething.

Wasn’t, received at the door in any noteworthy fashion, stood around for a while and a lost waiter kind of seated us after awhile. We were seated at one open table in a very busy part, when there were much less congested areas in the restaurant. I started with my bread that was brought as an appetizer, didn't have a plate to eat it on, just those cheap "Mr. Price" under plates. We asked to move to a quieter part, I had a plate there.

Furniture is old and washed down, seems like the place was hot in the 90's. I kind of had flowers on the table, looks like something a 6 year old plucked in the parking lot and chucked in a little pot a couple of days ago. Rather get rid of it completely I think. No table cloths, just the old wooden top table with no character and chairs that's old, but not old enough.

Waiters are mediocre, they don't talk to you, are not particularly friendly or well spoken and visit your table halve the amount of times someone from Bugatti's would. I accidently made a bit of a mess on my under plate as we waited for food, any descent place would replace that for you in a heartbeat, nope, we sat it out with the dirty under plate. We ordered one starter at R80; it was OK, nothing bad I could say there except it’s not worth 80 bucks, maybe R35-40.

Had a fillet and a T-bone. Fillet was good and soft and moist. T-bone was nice and big and soft, though overcooked, Medium rare should be pink in the middle not the same color throughout. With a mushroom sauce, I was astounded that it was really tasteless. Lots of salt kind of fixed that for me at the end. R195 T-bone.

Waiter billed us for items we did not get or ordered.

I'm not fussy when I dine R200 for two people for lunch and get pretty nice experiences.
but I wasn't impressed at all and did not even want to give the waiter a tip; I gave him a R40 tip just to avoid complete embarrassment. He took the bill a just left, no thank you, goodbye, hope to see you again. Just took it and walked away. I am of the sound belief that you should earn a tip, especially if it’s R65 for carrying two plates and a couple of drinks. Presence is not equal to tip. Service and Personality and Charisma and Knowledge and Attention to detail = Tip.

All and all, I'll never dine there again, why, if there are so many other places you can go feeling fulfilled and happy with a bill of R200. When slapped with a R650 bill for 2 then I want something in return.

1  Thank LouisMat
Reviewed March 13, 2013

Ritrovo is definitely my favourite Italian restaurant in Pretoria! The food is excellent - the chef introduces himself and the speciality dishes for the day every time we go there - and the atmosphere is warm and inviting. They also have an impressive wine list. Most certainly a place we'll return to time and again.

1  Thank SAVegetarian
Reviewed March 13, 2013

We go here often. Enjoy the people, the food and the atmosphere. My
husband had one of the specials of the evening which he enjoyed. I
had the duck which was very dry and seemed over cooked. First time
I have ever had a meal which was not good there. Great selection of wines.
Enjoyed the evening even though my meat was not good. We all have
off days...