“Our very last visit to La Madeleine”
Review of La Madeleine

La Madeleine
Ranked #13 of 686 Restaurants in Pretoria
Good for: Romantic, Business meetings, Special occasions
Dining options: Dinner, Late Night, Outdoor Seating, Reservations
Description: At La Madeleine we invite you to savour the wonderful world of bistronomy where classic French and Belgian cuisine de terroir country recipes are combined with high skill bistronomic techniques at affordable prices.
Santiago, Chile
“Our very last visit to La Madeleine”
Reviewed November 10, 2013

We have eaten at this restaurant for 35 years(!) since it was a 5 table bistro. We had many lovely dishes over the years. Sadly the emphasis seems to have shift from preparing excellent food to squashing as many diners as possible in , in the shortest period , especially on Sunday lunch. Today was the limit! Before we were were seated properly our order for water was taken and the wine list left at our table.Daniel Leusch immediately stepped up to tell us about the menu. My daughter is a vegetarian and there was no option for her - it will then be a salad and a plate of vegetables! This was accepted by Mr Leusch without a hint of embarrassment.
Our Bellini's and starters arrived at the same time - I had to point out that we have not even had the opportunity to order some wine! When the wine was brought , I asked about the bread , which was then offered to us when we were finishing our starters. My daughter"s salad has obviously been sitting on the shelve , dressed, for a long time - the leaves were limp , and rather unappetizing and there was not much else on the plate The Vegetable plate was dry as they come , containing some dry Tagliatelle without a hint of any dressing or sauce. The Cappuchinos were cold and by this time we have had enough - we sent it back and received some lukewarm replacements. What a shame to witness a once excellent restaurant churning out food like a fastfood joint. Goodbye La Madeleine!

• Visited November 2013
5 Thank Huyshen

Tzaneen
“Our family birthday treat restaurant”
Reviewed October 8, 2013

Whenever one of our family has a birthday, we eat at La Madeleine and have never been
disappointed. When the owner explains the menu, we all listen carefully as there is no written
menu, he makes each meal sound so enticing it is difficult to make a choice!

• Visited June 2013
South Africa
“Divine evening and personal attention from the host.”
Reviewed September 21, 2013 via mobile

Warm reception, beautiful ambiance, menu of the evening personally described to you at your table by the Belgian chef and owner, great wine list, good background music. Truly fine evening. Thoroughly recommended!

• Visited September 2013
1 Thank Lawrence_Kilner
Columbus, Ohio
“Good top posh nosh, military style.”
Reviewed August 6, 2013

The food was excellent in that it was different to the usual combination of flavors at other local restaurants. It's of indisputably fresh ingredients that create an imaginative menu. There are endless courses though (7)! That said, the portions were just right to get through them despite us not going for dessert. I'm not sure how very (absolutely) French some of the dishes were, but I (absolutely) loved everything I ate. I was particularly spellbound by the mussels cooked in cider and something creamy. The food was a bit rich going from course to course. Choose wisely in that case because the menu is not written down! The chef comes to each table to run through it (mumbling fast). Make an effort to listen carefully and remember what he says because he will repeat options to each course at each table, and it eventually looks tiring (in fact he looked slightly annoyed with our indecision and asking him to repeat what he said due to being unsure as a result of his accent). Poor man. How does he muster this every night?! We had a great table by the fireplace and overall not much to complain about. Of course there was the small matter that the entire ordering and cutlery-changing process ran like a military operation. One must be attentive! The waiters were also under much pressure and barely had a chance to break a smile. Two of them were also French-speaking, so that was a nice touch to the overall Frenchness for sale. I would go there again, in my best behavior considering that were seated next to government dignitaries, etc. I was expecting to pay top dollar for the experience, and top dollar I paid. It was well worth every penny though.

• Visited July 2013
1 Thank Aria E
pretoria
“still one of the best restaurants in pretoria”
Reviewed July 15, 2013

Small menu which ensures good quality. The food is always elegantly prepared and the quality is very good. Portion sizes are smaller as I would expect from a bistro serving French cuisine. I have eaten here so many times that I have no hesitation in recommending this restaurant especially after having eaten at a number of mediocre establishments in Paris. Keep up the good work!

Visited June 2013