“Great Conference or Training Venue”

Southern Sun Newlands
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newlands
CAPE TOWN
“Great Conference or Training Venue”
Reviewed June 1, 2013

Southern Sun in Newlands (Cape Town) is the best venue to hold conferences and training. I have attended quite a number of courses at Southern Sun. They are so organised and professional. The training venues are above average. Food is out of this world. The employees are well mannared and professional. I am yet to see such an amazing place. Thank you Southern Sun in Newlands, I am always looking forward to attend courses there : )

• Stayed May 2013, traveled on business
Nabila C, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this review, June 4, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback pertaining to our conference venues, our staff, as well as our Food & Beverage offering.

We are most pleased to know that we met your expectations.

It was indeed our pleasure to serve you. The Team looks forward to welcoming you back soon.

Nabila Cassim

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (43)
Reviewed May 22, 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the hotel over the 2 oceans weekend, my girlfriend was running the race. The location is perfect for anyone doing the race. Its only a couple hundred metres from the start.

The staff are friendly and the rooms are perfect. Nice size bed and room was surprisingly big.

I was blown away how the hotel made an effort for all the runners over that weekend. Breakfast was made earlier and all meals had an option for any runner looking for that perfect dinner or breakfast to boost energy. During the day they had snacks and drinks in the reception area where runners could just help themselves. This extra effort was very impressive!

• Stayed April 2013
1 Thank Grantken83
Nabila C, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this review, May 25, 2013
Many thanks for your lovely review pertaining to the Two Oceans Weekend that you spent in our hotel.

We are most pleased to know that we have met your expectations and that you have fond memories of our hotel and staff.

Please do let us know when you would like to stay again and we would be most pleased to host you.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 13, 2013

In Cape Town for the Two Oceans Marathon - 3 night stay over Easter – and this hotel is perfectly placed for the start line. The staff were amazing, they were knowledgeable about the Marathon, had a special “carb” evening meal before the run, a runners breakfast at 4.30am for the 6am marathon start. Lots of energy drinks, popcorn and fruit in reception…they were set up for this event. They even had massages available for the runners afterwards. Above and beyond the call of duty, and very impressive.

This hotel knows it’s client base, whether it is business men, runners or families with children.

The rooms were comfortable, bright, bathrooms were good with plenty of hot water, towels and generous products. I would say that the décor was a little tired in the bathrooms, but everything was clean and well presented. Breakfasts were well laid out buffets. Plenty of fruit, muesli, yogurt for the healthy, hot food of potatoes, bacon, eggs and more for those seeking a different choice. Staff ran around ensuring drinks were served and tables cleared.

The one thing to mention is that if you are planning Waterfront visits, the cable car to Table Mountain or Robben Island, then this is not really the best hotel. It’s not near any tourist area, it doesn’t pretend to cater for tourists. It was however perfectly placed for the Two Oceans – 100 metres from the start line. Couldn’t have been better.

This hotel delivers on the important things. The staff went out of their way to make our stay memorable and comfortable, we would definitely recommend it.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled as a couple
Nabila C, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this review, May 14, 2013
It was an absolute pleasure to have read your review pertaining to our hotel and the delivery during the Two Oceans Marathon.

We are most pleased to know that we exceeded your expecations and that the services offered was such a hit!

In addition to the above we do hope to see you for the next marathon, however if you are in Cape Town prior to that please do let us know so that we can ensure another comfortable stay.

Hyderabad, India
Reviewed April 29, 2013

I stayed at the property for 3 nights and really enjoyed my stay. Rooms are comfortable and staff is courteous. Lots of places nearby to go for dinner and an Indian restaurant right within the Hotel premises in case you don't want a pizza or spaghetti any more. You can hear the sound of the winds even with the windows closed. On day one I could not sleep but day 2 I got accustomed to the sound.

• Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank Sharadd
Nabila C, Rooms Division Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this review, May 2, 2013
Many thanks for your feedback. I am most pleased to know that you enjoyed your stay and that we met your expectations.

Sincere apologies for the inconvenience with regards to the wind keeping you awake on your first night.

I do hope to welcome you back to our hotel soon.

Benoni, South Africa
Reviewed March 27, 2013

My husband and I just spent a long weekend at the Sun and found the staff to be exceptionally friendly and helpful. It's the first time we have stayed in Newlands and it is a very central location. Really good option if you do not want to be in the hub of the tourist district.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
nunziab, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this review, March 29, 2013
Thank you for completing a review. Thankyou for the lovely comments. The team and I look forward to yuor next visit.
Kindest regards
Midrand, South Africa
Reviewed March 26, 2013

I stayed for three nights, the staff and reception was very friendly and efficient. The room has two comfortable double beds, a flat screen TV, with all the DSTV movie channels, tea and coffee making facilities. The air conditioner was a bit noisy; however I preferred to open the huge sliding window for cool fresh air from outside. The view of the mountain was stunning.

Some previous guest dyed his/her hair in the bathtub and stained it, so although it is clean it may at first glance appear not to be. The bathroom is a bit dated but functional, the bathtub is small and is not fitted with a hand shower. There is a permanent shower mounted on the wall above the bath with good water pressure. I don't like to use these because the shower curtain normally tends to be pulled in, by warm air rising, and stick to your body and it never prevents the floor from getting wet.

The breakfast buffet was superb and included the full variety from juice, croissants, cereals, fresh fruit and yoghurt, to fresh salmon, all styles of eggs, bacon, various pork/beef/lamb sausages, fish, hash browns, fried tomato, mushrooms, etc. Service during breakfast was superb, before you sat down the waiter was offering tea or coffee and freshly made toast and was ready to take your order for eggs.

I had dinner at the Indian restaurant downstairs and the curry prawn pot was delicious. You can order mild, medium, hot or Indian Hot. I ordered mild and it as perfect, no burning throat, tears or running nose.

I was on business in Mowbray and found it to be well worth staying here. If you leave for the office around 8am the traffic may be a bit hectic so try to avoid the roads between 7:15am and 8:45am. I’m going back in April, on business, for two weeks and definitely staying there again.

• Stayed March 2013, traveled on business
Thank you very much for the lovely detailed report. I will gladly share your wonderful comments with the team. Apologies for the dye marks in the bathroom will tend to it immediately.
I assure you we all look forward to your next visit.
Take care
Johannesburg
Reviewed February 21, 2013

I had come to associate the Southern Sun brand (now Tsogo Sun) with low-budget family holidays and average food. I was recently pleasantly surprised by my stay at the Newlands property. Staff were helpful and friendly, room was immaculate and well-appointed, very comfortable bed.

Breakfast was superb with no queue and GREAT coffee - order a skinny decaf cappuccino with your 5-star breakfast if you want. The only thing that prevents me from giving this 5 stars overall is location. Most vacationing travellers to Cape Town are not after hotels in Newlands and environs, they want the sea views and the close proximity to tourist attractions. Having said that, if you are there on business, I would strongly recommend the hotel.

They have completely revised my opinion of the brand. I look forward to my next stay in one of these hotels.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
nunziab, Manager at Southern Sun Newlands, responded to this review, February 25, 2013
Thank you for the lovely review. I look forward to many more visits to come and I assure you your skinny latte will await.
I have taken the liberty to share your comments with the team and they were happy that you were" pleasantly surprised".
We all look forward to your next visit.
Warmest regards
Sebastian
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newlands
Vineyard Hotel
#2 of 3 in Newlands
Southern Sun Waterfront Cape Tow...
#32 of 109 in Cape Town Central
City Bowl
Derwent House Boutique Hotel
Derwent House Boutique Hotel
#5 of 109 in Cape Town Central
Blackheath Lodge
#4 of 109 in Cape Town Central

Been to Southern Sun Newlands? Share your experiences!