“Well worth a visit”

Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Reservations
Reviewed June 10, 2019

Wonderful restaurant, great food, terrific staff and a very good atmosphere. A true taste of Italy, try it, you will return again and again.

Date of visit: June 2019

Reviewed June 8, 2019

A friend and I visited Mamma Roma on a weeknight, and it was an absolutely delightful experience. The ambience is cosy. This isn't a "cheap and cheerful" place, but neither did it feel at all stuffy or pretentious. Even though it was relatively busy, we received exceptional service: our waitron made thoughtful recommendations, and he was attentive without being overbearing.

Then, there was the food... We both opted for the fresh asparagus starter, served with lemon juice, butter, and parmesan. Simple and delicious. For mains, I had a pasta dish that was adapted to my tastes according to our waiter's recommendation, with porcini mushrooms, prawns, and a bit of chili. Each element was perfectly cooked, and the flavours of the dish were balanced to complement rather than overpower each other. My friend had a veal dish. Now, I'm not usually a fan of veal, but this was so good that I'd consider ordering it the next time I visit (and there will certainly be a next time). We were also surprised with a lovely serving of vegetables to share. Dessert was nice.

I strongly recommend this as one of the best Italian restaurants I've visited in Cape Town. The only "problem" for me is that it's across the road from a restaurant that's been one of my very favourites for over a decade now, and it'll be a difficult decision between the two the next time I'm in the area for dinner. (This is the best kind of "problem" to have, when two such exceptional restaurants are so close to each other.)

Date of visit: June 2019
Reviewed April 27, 2019

The place was packed out on a midweek night and I got a great table on the top section which was with a fabulous waitress whom had been with the family for 18 years - it showed. I had looked at the menu before we went and my mind was set on the Calamari tubes with feta, sundried tomatoes and chilli . However I was not in the mood for pasta so I asked if it could be made as a main course without the pasta and that was no problem. I had it with a side salad. Hubby ordered the lamb shank which looked great from the table next door and he was very happy with it and ate it with chips . (His mind was previously set on having a sole but unfortunately they had not had sole available for several days.) My daughter ordered the tuna which was sliced and served med. rare (her choice) with a side salad (also her choice). Son in law wanted something on the menu that was not served in other restaurants. I suggested the lamb ribs as its something one doesnt see at many restaurants. He wasnt ecstatic about it but nevetheless did not complain. His came with pasta. All the main courses were served with fabulous spinach (the nicest I have had ) with no cream and a second vegetable. We ended the meal with a dom pedro with whisky. This restaurant has been around for many many years and we had been to it several times in the past but had forgotten about it of late. Now that its back on our radar we will certainly be going again and We all recommend it highly.

Date of visit: April 2019
Reviewed April 24, 2019 via mobile

A proper Italian trattoria, run by a warm Italian Family; who’s hospitality and Italian flare fun through to their gracious and smiling staff.

Fantastic menu - too many temptations that it took me ages to decide what to eat. As it was Italian I thought best to check out the pasta on my first visit (I’ll be back to work my way through the menu!). The carbonara was faultless- absolutely delicious and generous portions.

Can’t wait to go back!

Date of visit: April 2019
1  Thank Bubblalubs
Reviewed April 13, 2019 via mobile

Best, friendliest spot if you looking for comfort food. Their food is amazing and consistently good.
Owners Mario and Christina, and daughter Marissa are always on hand to greet and serve you.

Date of visit: March 2019