“Wines and Wines and Wines and more wines!”
Review of Wijnhuis

Wijnhuis
Ranked #8 of 23 Restaurants in Newlands
Cuisines: Italian
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Dining options: Late Night, Breakfast, Reservations
Reviewed January 6, 2014

I was fortunate enough to be invited to this beautifully decorated restaurant in Newlands by a good friend of mine. The four of us tucked in to our meals, each of us very happy with the flavour and presentation. The menu has a good variety and there is a great selection of side orders.

The wine list is... daunting, but once you know what varietal you want it is relatively easy to use, but the real star of the show is the wine they serve by the glass. A fantastic variety and you can order tasters, glasses or carafes to share! I would go back to this restaurant just for this menu option!

My only complaints was the restarant was a bit hot, those fans could have been turned up a bit more. The only cool air was from the window and the table next to me wanted it closed, we compromised in the end.

Really great food, ample parking across the road and a wine list to end all wine lists!

Reviewed January 3, 2014

Wijnhuis Newlands is a great place for a solid meal. I enjoyed the variety of wines available by the glass and different size options ie. from 150ml to a carafe of 370ml.
We started with two carpaccios - the Kudu and Beef carpaccio. Both were excellent. The 400g Rump that I had for my main course was also very good and well aged.

Service was attentive and the restaurant vibey.

Reviewed December 3, 2013

I am absolutely devastated with the revamped decor. Wijnhuis has been my favorite restaurant for many years and I have always made a point of bringing overseas visitors for a meal here, and they too shared my delight with the decor, food, service and general ambiance. Why the change?! (Surely it was a winning recipe?) The menu is now a disappointment and frankly the new upholstery and furniture look tacky and done on a low budget. Perhaps the revamp has increased business and if so good luck to the owners. But I for one am sad to no longer be able frequent what was such a classic eatery.

Reviewed November 10, 2013

After hearing this restaurant was so great, we were disappointed not only in the service but also that the prices did not justify the meals received. I don't think we would return in a hurry.

Reviewed November 9, 2013

We came here for a family party so tended not to concentrate on the food but I had kingclip which was good. Pity about the big TV screens but I guess that's good for footy enthusiasts. A fun place and quite buzzy