“Lovely but sooooo expensive”
Review of Vineyard Hotel

Vineyard Hotel
Ranked #1 of 3 Hotels in Newlands
Reviewed February 2, 2011

Great hotel, much better value than any on the waterfront but so, so expensive.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled with family

Reviewed January 29, 2011

We revisited the Vineyard after ten years and were delighted to find it as charming as ever even with more extension work. Why is it everyone likes the Vineyard? It is only four star yet offers a five star service. Beautiful gardens and views of Table Mountain area, good location within walking distance of Cape Town's best shopping area, and attentive staff. Lovely breakfasts (we counted 25 various breads, muffins and bagels one morning), freshly squeezed juice, lots of variety and you can eat as much as you like - smoked salmon, meats, eggs benedict, etc., etc., We did have one of the cheaper rooms, and although the bathrooms have been updated, some of the bedrooms are a little dated, and need new carpets etc., However, with bathrobes, good flat screen tv's, turndown service etc., with towels changed twice a day, it is very comfortable indeed and we would love to return again. The Myoga restaurant is excellent too. We enjoyed the tasting menu at 195 rand for six courses (this is about £18 pounds in UK money), and also enjoyed the wine tasting menu too. The sommelier Lisa was most helpful in writing down some of the wines we tasted. Having stayed in other Cape Town hotels, including he Mount Nelson, we prefer the Vineyard for the personal service and beautiful gardens.

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 25, 2011

From our very warm welcome to The Vineyard through to our efficient departure, we had a memorable holiday. The staff were extremely friendly, courteous and helpful. We loved relaxing by the swimming pool in the glorious sunshine, sundowners on the balcony overlooking the beauiful garden and the fabulous dinners!

• Stayed: January 2011, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 21, 2011

I was in CPT for 3 wks on biz w/ my colleague.  Everyone at The Vineyard was friendly, courteous, efficient, and professional.  After coming back to the hotel from a long day at the office, I felt like I was on vacation when I returned to the Vineyard.  The food at the Vineyard was very good.  Breakfast was not included in my plan so I am not sure how the breakfast was, but my colleague said it was nice and had your typical assortment of continental.  I did have a pot of coffee delivered to my room every morning.  What I liked is that they always steamed the milk, which was a big plus b/c I like alot of milk in my coffee and like to drink it piping hot. I used the gym pretty regularly, and it was adequate.  My only complaint is that there was no evidence that the equipment was regularly cleaned with disinfectant.  For example, in the States, it is a general rule that you always wipe down with disinfectant after you're done using the equipment.  I noticed paper towels were there, but no disinfectant.  And you could see dried drops of sweat from other people having used the equipment.  The other thing is that you should bring your own bottle of water when working out.  They have water outside the gym on a cart w/ an ample supply of glasses.  But then there is a sign that says "Please rinse."  My colleague and I were both confused by this b/c it looked like people would use used glasses.  We didn't get this.  I'm not an OCD germaphobe, but I do believe in basic sanitary hygiene.The spa there was great. Myoga - the hotel's highly touted restaurant, was overrated.  The service we had was fair.  Our server was scatter-brained, and her recommendations were terrible.  Luckily, we only went w/ 1 or 2 of her recommendations for our 4-course meal.  At the end of the meal, she said that she noticed we were drinking red wine throughout our meal and offered us each a glass of port.  We thought the port was complimentary, but she charged us for the port.  Fortunately the total cost of our meal was within our meal limit b/c the exchange rate was so favorable, but still...we weren't expecting that AT all b/c we didn't experience this kind of shady behavior anywhere else in CPT.The sommelier onsite was also great.  We had a complimentary and private wine tasting.  He was knowledgeable and made the whole experience enjoyable.  The staff at The Vineyard, esp. the concierge staff, were all wonderful.  We used Jarat to drive us to/from the office each day. On the wkds we also used Jarat to drive us to/from the waterfront.  They were always on time picking us up.     I highly recommend using Jarat for these types of excursions.  However, if you are interested in doing a tour of the cape, I wouldn't recommend doing a private tour unless you don't mind paying a small fortune.We did a tour with Ilios (don't do the full-day; we did half-day & that was plenty).The BEST thing about the Vineyard are its grounds.  I would take walks around the grounds on the wkds.  All I can say is that it was ENCHANTING.  I felt like Alice in Wonderland.The pictures of the rooms are accurate, too.  When I first entered my room, it had a weird smell, but I think it was the water from the toilet.  I noticed that housekeeping left the lid of the seat up, which I always close anyway.  That seemed to make the smell go away.  The rooms were VERY clean, modern, and well-kept.  The bathrooms also modern, clean, etc.  Didn't care for the toiletries, but noticed they were from a local, high-end shop.  I use my own stuff anyway.  I highly recommend The Vineyard.

• Stayed: November 2010, traveled on business
Reviewed January 13, 2011

This is my first post on TripAdvisor.

I love the Vineyard hotel. I go to Cape Town around 4 times a year for business and a couple of times a year for pleasure. This is by far my best hotel.

It's in a very central and busy area and yet as you walk thorugh the hotel doors, you're in a different world; beautiful gardens, a river, lovely pool and a majestic view of Table Mountain. It's remarkable.

It's not part of a hotel chain and that's reflected in the service.

Having stayed there many times, I strongly recommend one of the rooms overlooking the mountain. They're a bit more expensive than the courtyard rooms, but it's well worth it.

Good for couples, families (with a lovely pool) and for business.

You'll need to rent a car. The advantage of the area is that you're half way between the City/ Waterfront side and the False Bay/ Muizenberg/ Simons Town side.

Also they have an excellent gym.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled as a couple
Reviewed January 9, 2011

I found the Vineyard hotel dated, noisy and fairly chaotic, despite its' good location, views of Table Mountain and nice gardens. I had pre-booked with extremely reasonable rates via Orbitz and the low rate created cost/value. The rooms are tired and somewhat grungy, needing a revamp. The hotel tries to do too much (cater to families, host a (also dated/tired) spa, restaurants, bar, gardens) and in sum total doesn't do any of them justice. The grounds are constantly have leaf blowers or mowers in use making quiet time impossible. The best aspect of the hotel is the fitness center/staff in the fitness center. I went from Vineyards to a neighboring guest house (Kidger House) and the value, change was dramatic. Peaceful, wonderful hosts, quiet location/neighborhood and excellent mountain views. The rooms/baths and common areas were well appointed and immaculate.

• Stayed: December 2010, traveled solo
Reviewed December 28, 2010

A very good place to stay in Cape Town.

We spent eight nights in the guest house during our football world cup 2010 tour in South Africa. The hotel was used by teams when they played in Cape Town - during our stay the teams of Portugal, Argentina and Uruguay were there as well.

The location is great if you want to stay in a beautiful relaxed suburb with easy access to the City Centre (about 15-20 min drive). It is also relatively safe.

The view from the hotel to Table Mountain is stunning and the gardens are beautiful and very relaxing. Health club is ok, pool was too cold and very small. The hotel rooms are a decent size and modern.

Service was generally good despite the hundreds of fans waiting inside and outside the hotel to take pictures or get a signature from one of the football players. We booked a one day trip to the vinelands - ask for Desmond as your driver!

Overall we had a relaxing stay and we would recommend this hotel to anyone.

A recommendation as well for the Myoga restaurant. We had a wonderful dinner there with a 6 course tasting menue with corresponding wines. Excellent!

• Stayed: June 2010, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Paul_the_Octopus_10
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newlands
The Cellars-Hohenort
City Bowl
Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
Belmond Mount Nelson Hotel
#11 of 110 in Cape Town Central
Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, C...
#31 of 110 in Cape Town Central

Been to Vineyard Hotel? Share your experiences!