“home from home”

Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Newlands
Falmouth, United Kingdom
“home from home”
Reviewed March 24, 2010

I stayed here on a business trip, but I also took my family with me and we stayed in one of the new family rooms. Wow! It was amazing. We had a largish double bedroom with it's own large TV, and sliding doors opening out onto a small terrace which was completely surrounded by vegeation, thereby making the terrace completely private. There was a bathroom which was almost as big as the bedroom and separated from the bedroom by a glass wall (opaque at the bottom!). Then there was a really big lounge where the kids slept at night, which also had doors opening onto the terrace.
The hotel staff were great and would stop and say hello to the children even when we saw them out in the street when they weren't working!
The breakfast was the best hotel breakfast I've ever had, and when the weather was ok we could sit outside and eat, with views of the lovely gardens and giany tortoises wandering around. As well as the breakfast buffet which had everything under the sun on it (the freshly chopped - inn front of you - pinapple and strawberries were my favourite), there was also an a la carte breakfast menu. The kids loved the French toast with crispy bacon, and I dare anyone to order and finish the farmers omelette! They even had kippers!
In the evenings there were plenty of options for eating in the hotel, although we mostly ate in the bar (more of a lounge than a pub) due to the children. The food was of a very high standard and I particulary like the ostrich fillets.
There is an outdoor pool with plenty of sun loungers round it, and an indoor pool which is smaller but heated, and most days the children pretty much had this pool to themselves.

• Stayed November 2007, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (383)
  • Polish first
New York City, New York
Reviewed March 22, 2010

Got this hotel for a real bargain (<£90 per night) and I hadn't expected much as to me, the pictures on the internet made it look small. Maybe I just didn't research it well enough.

Arrived and immediately realised that hotel was large and really quite swish. The room was big with a great courtyard view and relatively simply kitted out. Bathroom was big and really nice. Am sure the views to the back were the most desirable. No free wireless in the room which is a shame but you can get free cable to plug in which gave free internet access supporting VPN. Nice desk to work at. Small wall mounted TV. Tea and coffee making facilities. Nice in-room coffee (for a hotel).

Hotel grounds were impressive but didn't really check out the extensive gardens. And the setting was amazing. Great pool and very modern gym with good equipment. Breakfast very good and I ate dinner there a couple of times and was pretty good. A wee bit expensive sometimes maybe, particularly in the trendier restaurant. The restaurants tried hard but felt that the pomp of it all was a bit much for the quality. Small gripe.

All in all, a great hotel. Slight issue at the end ordering a taxi to the airport. Told me it was going to be a metered taxi which was no problem for me. Then suddenly they found me a car + driver which would have been >R100 more than the taxi price. When I refused as I knew that they were supposed to have ordered me a taxi, I had to wait for another 10 mins (they clearly hadn't ordered a taxi). When the taxi finally arrived he tried to tell me that the hotel had agreed a price for me which I definitely hadn't as they never discussed it. I had thought that the whole point of the metered taxi fare was the meter! Anyway, managed to convince him to switch on the meter and of course everything was fine. Not the first time that has happened to me in Cape Town with taxi drivers but it's worth looking out for.

It was a great hotel though in fantastic grounds. Quite near Cavendish Mall too. I want to come here on holiday though and not for business. Would be a fantastic getaway or romantic retreat. Not so close to the Waterfront area (which for me isn't a bad thing) but be aware that trips to Cape Town proper will cost about £10 with the hotel shuttle.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Sydney
Reviewed March 22, 2010

I will try hard not to down grade this hotel on my bad experience alone, but I managed to score all the bad points. I have made my complaints clear in writing and from the Spa running out of cold water in the midst of a 'couple' experience, it ruined the moment. Internet that ran out every 10 mins, Wake up calls that were not for my room at 5am on 4 occassions in 3 weeks and furniture that really wasn't Vineyard standard. A rude woman that calls herself Guest Relations and so the list go on. I would hope that my bad timing of being in the middle of what I was told was completed renovations, my room needed to be next. My car was covered and full of dust everyday. I wish I had better timing and hope that would be possible in future years, should it improve the standard. Too much concentration on the 2010 and forgetting about the average paying guest.

• Stayed March 2010, traveled on business
Berkeley, California
Reviewed March 19, 2010

This is a beautiful place, the overall facility is beautiful, the grounds are fantastic, the pool and fitness areas are first-rate. But despite this we won't be coming back because our own room (even at $270 US night) was fairly plain, the reading lights did not work (and were not corrected when reported to housekeeping) and if your shoulders are broader than 56 inches than you can't sit up straight on the toilet. Perhaps if you spend more money than you can get better rooms, so take my comments with this in mind.

Stayed March 2010, traveled as a couple
1 Thank BarryandJackie
Hertfordshire
Reviewed March 19, 2010

We stayed here for a week at the end of February. Having visited Cape Town on several occasions previously and always having stayed right in the city, we decided to go for something different this time. We were so pleased we did. This hotel is almost faultless in our opinion. Its location and ambience provide guests with a welcoming and relaxed retreat. Walking around the beautiful gardens in the sunshine it is hard to think of a better place to be. We stayed in a mountain view room with glorious views of Table Mountain. The room (which looked fairly recently renovated) was spacious with a contempary feel (lovely neutral colours), and was spotless. The provision of a British power socket was a very helpful touch. There is ample parking, and everything (the city, vineyards, beaches, shopping) is pretty much on your doorstep. The food and wine is to a high standard (although I wouldn't say I'd go there for the food alone). If we had to find negatives (and it's hard!), we'd say that the service at Myoga (one of the restaurants) could be toned down a little (it seems to be trying to be like a michelin star restaurant but isn't quite getting there), and we'd also like to see the bar staff being less obviously keen to shut down from about 10 pm at night (the bar closes at 11 00 pm). But those are really minor points - and we will certainly be going back! Thank you to the Vineyard hotel and staff for giving us a wonderful stay.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Isle of Man
Reviewed March 15, 2010

I regularly stay at the Vineyard when visiting Cape Town. When you have found somewhere this good it is best to stick with it!
I find it very hard to fault the Vineyard - the rooms, the restaurant, the facilities, the staff - the whole package is of a very high standard.
Prices have crept up of late but then where hasn't in South Africa?
On this last visit I might have one small suggestion and that is the the management need to expand the business centre facilities but I am sure they are considering this.
The hotel's position means you will require transport to get into Cape Town itself but if you know that in advance you can plan accordingly.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Review collected in partnership with OctopusTravel

West Sussex
Reviewed March 5, 2010

Great rate for the business traveller special obtained by contacting the hotel direct. Lovely new deluxe courtyard room. Great food, service and pool. Even though I'm fussy I could not find fault with anything at this hotel. Last visit stayed at Mount Nelson but enjoyed this just as much for a fraction of the price. Well done the Vineyard.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled as a couple
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newlands
City Bowl
Derwent House Boutique Hotel
Derwent House Boutique Hotel
#5 of 109 in Cape Town Central
Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, C...
#31 of 109 in Cape Town Central
POD Camps Bay
#1 of 12 in Camps Bay
South Beach Camps Bay
#2 of 12 in Camps Bay
Blackheath Lodge
#4 of 109 in Cape Town Central

Been to Vineyard Hotel? Share your experiences!