“My Cape Town home away from home”
Review of Vineyard Hotel

Vineyard Hotel
Ranked #2 of 3 Hotels in Newlands
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“My Cape Town home away from home”
Reviewed November 24, 2012

My second visit to Cape Town and second stay at this beautiful property hidden away in Newlands. This stay was for a week long and included a 3 day conference onsite. The staff is like family right down to the GM, Roy and go above and beyond to ensure you are comfortable with your stay. I could not recommand this place highly enough and encourage you to visit on your next Cape Town trip.

Room Tip: Mountain views are obviously a preference to take in the amazing scenery.
  • Stayed November 2012, traveled on business

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (386)
  • Polish first
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
Reviewed November 23, 2012

Great Location for Conference with plenty of room inside and out.
A Colonial Type of Hotel with fantastic staff who cannot do enough to serve,
Found the Restaurants to be a great selection of fresh healthy food,
The Gymnasium area is newer and would rate it has possibly the best gym I have used in a hotel, it helps that the doors are wide open and you look straight up to Table Mountain.
Will certainly return and hopefully the next time will at a Rugby Test in Newlands which is walking distance

2 Thank James H
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 23, 2012

I stay at the Vineyards once a year for business and it never dissappoints. This time I stayed twice and had my room upgraded both times. The rooms are lovely and big.

The staff are helpful and friendly. The food is amazing and very tasty and reasonable.

I had a small hiccup with 2 pick ups where the luggae was supposed to meet me at work and then go to the airport, this didnt happen but it was not an issue as I always leave on time, the driver was very upset by the mistake, and I am pretty sure that may be the reason for my second up grade to a suite. For that experience I don't care they forgot the bags I still made the flight.

Singapore, null, Singapore
Reviewed November 20, 2012

We stayed for 2 nights, and had contrasting experiences. The first time, we were in room 308. No matter what you did, the air conditioning did NOT work. We asked the maintenance folk to come over, and even they realized the corridors were more plesant than the rooms. We waited for 2 hours, still no luck from the aircon. When all you wanted was a decent night's sleep, this disappointed massively. The least the hotel could so, was to offer us a change of rooms, which did NOT come. I left the next day, cancelling my next booking. Due to a last minute change in our flights, I was forced to rebook them again a week later - something I did with much hesitation. This time, we were in 302 - HALF- working aricon, but sufficient to catch some decent sleep. When we wanted to get to a nearby Indian restaurant around the corner for dinner, we were dropped there by the hotel's car. Their travel desk is expensive - would recommend you book your own transfer, or ask them to arrange an hourly rate for you.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled as a couple
Maidenhead, United Kingdom
Reviewed November 20, 2012

Away, but not isolated, from the vibrant Cape Town scene, this hotel is in a lovely setting with views of the mountain. The resident tortoise sets the pace and there is a large swimming pool with loungers as well. The staff do everything to make you welcome and the food and drinks are good. Our room was comfortable and there was a pleasant outlook. This is the place to be if you want to relax.

• Stayed November 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank Roger S
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I gave myself a treat in September by staying for three nights at this very popular historic hotel, The Vineyard, in Newlands. The reservation clerk taking the telephone booking was exceptionally welcoming and friendly. When I arrived the porter was equally so and the hotel had a warm ambience, My room overlooked a charming inner courtyard with lots of plants an little ponds. I was able to have an excellent lunch of their very popular "battered fish" in the Patio Bar which is a longtime favourite for businessmen, holidaymakers and locals alike. An evening meal had been booked at "The Square" for three people. Just before dinner I needed to wait for my guests but there Patio Bar had become overcrowded and there was hardly a table to be found for hotel guests. Service was sloppy and I had to attract the attention of a waiter. The Vineyard could definitely do with a separate lounge for hotel guests with just drinks perhaps and a place to read or relax without the frenetic activity in the Patio Bar. The "Square" had a lovely ambience with a harpist providing background music. The menu seemed attractive but some descriptions were misleading. For example the grilled salmon was supposed to be accompanied by fresh vegetables but when the meal came there was one broccoli floret and there seemed to be some grated potatoes and onions hardly visible under the fish. The waiter was lethargic and not really eager to help. My lamb shanks was perhaps the most substantial meal and I didn't get an opinion on the ostrich fillet. I cancelled my booking for the following night.
The buffet breakfasts were outstanding. One could also order a much smaller meal a la carte. One couldn't have wished for more, and good service too. At noon there was a special tour of the gardens with the horticulturalist which was top class. This particular one on Saturday was part of the social responsibility programme with fees going in aid of KIDS. The walk was followed by an excellent tea served in the Splash Restaurant. There were lovely eats provided both savoury and sweet and we watched an informative video. Raffles were held in aid of the charity and I had the good fortune to win dinner for two at the sister hotel the Town House on Greenmarket Square. Altogether a pleasant and comfortable stay.

Room Tip: If you want a view of th mountain ask for that side. Otherwise the courtyard rooms are also pleasen...
  • Stayed September 2012, traveled solo
Johannesburg, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed November 17, 2012

I recently stayed at the Vineyard hotel for the 2nd time, and had a rather disappointing overall experience. The staff at Vineyard could definitely learn something about guest service and hospitality.This may be an ideal destination for over-seas travelers, but I would caution local business travelers to expect 2nd rate service in comparison, from check-in straight through to trying to get assistance from restaurant staff, the only friendly & helpful employees I encountered ; the porters, in addition, I had to leave a note in the room to ask for rubbish removal, which was a first in any hotel I have ever stayed in.I also had to deal with constant noise due to the location of my room at all hours of the night, brown bath water and limited hot water supply. But most of all, I was rather disturbed by the fact that their duty manager,had looked up my profile on a social media site which tracks viewing, this was a bit unusual and really not appropriate in my opinion.

1 Thank Nolene C
Roy_Davies, General Manager at Vineyard Hotel, responded to this review, November 30, 2012
We thank you for your feedback following your stay at the Vineyard Hotel & Spa. We apologise that your experience of our hotel was not completely to your satisfaction.

We are unclear over why you feel we favour foreign guests over South African guests - the majority of our guest compliment live in South Africa and we have a very healthy return guest percentage.

We believe the note you left for rubbish removal related to two half-empty bottles that were in the room when the cleaning staff arrived. Our staff always err on the side of caution so as not to dispense with items that guests are still using, and are instructed to not remove items from the rooms that are not in the bin.

In terms of the noise levels - you indicated in our conversation that you thought it was other guests who may have been responsible for that, we would happily intervene if notified.

The brown bath water and fluctuating water temperature you refer to was due to a problem with the plumbing system which we immediately corrected after being notified. I have visited the room since your stay and can confirm that the problem has been resolved.

Finally, our duty manager searched your name on the internet and visited your LinkedIn profile in order to assist the staff in remembering you so he could ascertain what may have caused the delay in your check in.

I hope that your experience will not prevent you from visiting our hotel in future and I invite you to make contact with me personally if you would like to discuss the matter further.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newlands
South Beach Camps Bay
#2 of 12 in Camps Bay
POD Camps Bay
#1 of 12 in Camps Bay
City Bowl
Derwent House Boutique Hotel
Derwent House Boutique Hotel
#5 of 109 in Cape Town Central
Radisson Blu Hotel Waterfront, C...
#31 of 109 in Cape Town Central
Victoria & Alfred Hotel
#25 of 109 in Cape Town Central

Been to Vineyard Hotel? Share your experiences!