“Sublime”
Review of Fernwood Manor

Fernwood Manor
Ranked #5 of 29 Newlands B&B and Inns
Reviewed April 5, 2013

I recently spent 6 days in the hotel .I would rate my experience as the best I have ever had. Everything was superb. The welcome, the ambiance, the subtle decor, the catering, all faultless. The staff, no matter their function were discreet and friendly. Sally, the owner, and her assistant Manuela could not have been more accommodating, even personally delivering seven runners to the very early morning start of the Two Oceans race. Without question I will stay there next year. Brilliant.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo

Reviewed March 31, 2013

Fernwood Manor is situated in the safe, quiet district of Newlands on the outskirts of Cape Town. Our holiday lasted four weeks and we stayed in Fernwood Manor on three separate occasions and the same excellence prevailed during each visit. We stay in eight different guest houses on our trip and Fernwood Manor was amongst the very best.
The staff were superb as were the breakfasts which were served poolside or in the dining room overlooking the pool. The bedrooms were very comfortable, large, well fitted out and left nothing wanting. The large pool is regularly cleaned and the gardens beautifully maintained. The communal seating areas were all furnished to a very high standard and everywhere was spotlessly clean.
We took two side trips from Cape Town and Sally Peter, the owner, went to a huge amount of trouble to assist us with recommendations on routes to take and what to see. She also recommended great restaurants in Cape Town and made reservations for us. Nothing was too much trouble.
Even if you tried, you couldn’t find fault with anything in this superb guest. It’s our first choice when we return and if you are looking for five star accommodation, look no further as you won’t get better !!

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank SeacatIreland
Reviewed March 27, 2013

I always stay at Fernwood Manor when I visit Cape Town and I am never disappointed. Sally has a great team of staff who place their guests at the centre of all they do. Rooms are maintained to an exceptionally high standard. I particularly like the "turn down" service. Breakfast is always a delight and it takes real willpower not to overindulge every morning. And a pot of tea is always offered if you are simply enjoying an hour or two by the pool or in the beautiful garden.

The honesty bar offers a wide choice of drinks and a great selection of South African wines. Great to sit and enjoy a glass (or two) of wine in the beatifully appointed lounges.

I usually arrive very late in the evening and I appreciate that, after a long flight, there will be a smiling face and a warm welcome awaiting me.

Room Tip: My preference is a room in the main house but there are also rooms opening onto the pool. Whatever t...
  • Stayed: March 2013, traveled solo
1  Thank Maggie R
Reviewed March 22, 2013

My girlfriends and I stayed at this wonderful B&B a few weeks ago and I was just blown away. It is beautiful, stylish and very comfortable. The staff were the best I have experienced in a long time and of course the owner Sally, who is charming and so very helpful, she even booked an appointment for me to see her doctor at a moments notice !!!!! Amazing !!!! The breakfast is fresh, delicious and a wonderful selection, a lot of time and thought has gone into it. We are going to make our stay an annual event and only wish we could have stayed longer. Thank you Sally and your lovely staff for our wonderful stay and for keeping my luggage for me ! Oh love the well stocked fridge !

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled with friends
Reviewed March 11, 2013

Our stay in February 2013 was our first at this "boutique" guest house and it will not be the last. From the willingness of staff to stay on duty pending our late arrival, to the welcome palpably evident throughout our stay, we found nothing of consequence wanting.
The breakfast was fine - good selection, charming service and the quality of the experience was felt throughout the day. Cleanliness was impeccable. Nothing was too much trouble for the office - and importantly the owner - to sort out, be it taxis, ideas for meals and so on. Strongly recommended.

Room Tip: The upstairs room will full bath has the added benefit of being permeated by the WiFi signal from do...
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled as a couple
2  Thank fixitfox
Reviewed February 21, 2013

Everything was right about this place. A friendly welcome; beautifully furnished and comfortable rooms; efficient and unobtrusive staff; ideal location. We wish we could have stayed for much longer.
Parking is a bit tight - as it fills up things can get a bit awkward with people getting parked in. This is not uncommon in Cape Town.

• Stayed: December 2012, traveled with family
1  Thank gplk
Reviewed January 23, 2013

Stayed at this lovely guest house again January 2013 and were not disappointed. Same friendly staff, same excellent breakfast, same homely feeling Our room this time was upstairs and had a double aspect balcony. Room spacious, airy, well decorated and very comfortable. The fridge is very well stocked and there is even a jug of fresh milk placed in it every day (so so much nicer for your morning coffee or tea). Will stay again next year.

Room Tip: All first class
  • Stayed: January 2013, traveled as a couple
1  Thank angela c
Also consider these accommodations in or near Newlands
Vineyard Hotel
CapeAngel Guesthouse
#7 of 29 in Newlands
Wild Olive Guest House
#1 of 29 in Newlands

Been to Fernwood Manor? Share your experiences!