“A great stay”

Ranked #4 of 29 Newlands B&B and Inns
Johannesburg, South Africa
“A great stay”
Reviewed March 29, 2014

I stayed overnight at The Riversong Guesthouse recently and I was totally impressed with the location, the awesome personal services, the massive suite. The breakfast was beautifully prepared and served with a view to die for. The previous week I had stayed at The One and Only at the Cape Town Waterfront; I preferred the Riversong! Enough said :-)

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
Inri M, Owner at Riversong Guest House, responded to this review, March 31, 2014
Thank you so much for your lovely review! You preferred us to "The One and Only" - you made my Day!!!!!!Month!!!!!Year!!!!!! We look forward to hosting you again in the near future. Best regards Inri and The Riversong Team.

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (52)
New Jersey girl
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Thank you, Riversong, for helping to make my trip to Cape Town so memorable. First is the property itself. Inri, the owner, has done a beautiful job decorating this Guest House. My room was on the second floor with a view of the mountains. I was there for 6 nights and every morning I would awaken that spectacular view. The first floor has the breakfast area and an outdoor seating area. The second floor has a large lounge area. My room was large and comfortable. There was a comfy king sized bed with a white comforter. Each room has coffee and cookies. There is also a small refrigerator with items for purchase (soft drinks, beer, etc.). The bathroom was very large with a tub and separate shower stall. Perfect and very clean.

We started out there with coffee in the morning. Then breakfast: juice and fruit/yogurt, eggs, hash browns, bacon. All cooked to order. On the side board are cold cereals, muffins, breakfast meats and cheeses. Lovely breakfast.

Inri helped arrange all of our tours while in Cape Town. She worked with our tour guide to modify the travels to fit our needs. Great time. Wonderful city and environs.

I would not hesitate to recommend Riversong. Inri is an excellent host and Riversong is an ideal home away from home when visiting Cape Town.

Thanks, Inri, for making my trip so special.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled solo
Inri M, Owner at Riversong Guest House, responded to this review, March 24, 2014
Dear Susan
Bet your cats where happy to have you home. Thanks for taking the time to write a review. Much appreciated. We loved having you stay with us. So glad you enjoyed the tours, yours stay at Riversong and your view. We are happy when our guests are happy. Best regards Inri and The Riversong Team plus Archie and Eleanor.
Kentwood, Michigan
Reviewed March 22, 2014

Riversong Guest House is a beautiful, serene place. Everyone was friendly and always helpful. Food was great and made to order. I stayed in Mountain View room and it has a fantastic view of Table Mountain as described-took a lot of pictures. Would definitely stay here again and recommend to others.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled with friends
Dear Barbara
Thank you for the lovely review. We loved hosting and organizing the tours for your group. We look forward to meeting you again in the near future. Best regards Inri and The Riversong Team plus Archie and Eleanor.
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 15, 2014

I have given Riversong 4 out of 5, because I thought on reflection that 3 was too harsh, even though my own personal experience was a 3. I recognise that a lot of effort is put into running it, and that for many guests (as the other reviews testify) it will be a 4 or a 5. But this is probably the harshest review I have every given anywhere except where I have experienced really bad service or a misleading description, neither of which applies to Riversong.

On the positive side, the service was attentive and pleasant, a good breakfast was served rapidly at an early hour, small extra requests were all attended to. The room was very well equipped with practicalities and information, the location is pleasant and convenient, and the views from the garden are very nice.

So why didn't I like it ? Some things out of their control - while the setting is nice, there are so many others in the same or neighbouring suburbs that share the same environment, often quieter, more charming roads, and even nicer views. If you have just arrived from wintry London I am sure you will love it, if you have seen more of Cape Town its fine but nothing special.

The things that I found slightly disappointing were the architecture, and the old and rather utilitarian feel of the room - the bed apart. I could also hear every noise the resident staff made in their bathroom next door (I was in the River Room). The Liesbeek river does run right by the garden but was canalised and not really charming compared to its upper reaches nearby. The pool was not only small, but so shallow you could barely swim in it.

And most of all there was a feeling of pettiness throughout, in particular a huge number of laminated notices with instructions posted everywhere, which not only detracted from the decor, but in many cases made me feel uncomfortable. Some were essential information, many rather bossy, assuming no common sense on behalf of the guests, and if they were necessary they could have been consolidated into a folder. Worst of all was the notice rationing wireless internet access, because of a capped subscription that Riversong has with its ISP. Today, even with the still poor internet service in SA by global standards, its quite possible to get relatively fast uncapped ADSL contracts, and a guest house in particular should do so.

Again, this is a subjective view, if the things that irritated me don't bother you, please go and enjoy Riversong

• Stayed February 2014, traveled solo
1 Thank JonB_SA
Inri M, Owner at Riversong Guest House, responded to this review, March 17, 2014
Dear Johathan

Thank you for you very honest review. We take every review very seriously as we want everyone who stays at Riversong to have a happy stay.

We do have a Info. booklet in every room. Unfortunately it is rarely used or read. I agree these signs detract from the decor. By trying to make things easier for guests I did not realise I was irritating them. I have removed as many laminated instructions as I safely can from all rooms and guest house today, specially the sign about the CAPPED WIRELESS INTERNET. We have had UNCAPPED HIGH SPEED INTERNET in every room and throughout the guest house for the past 3 years. Big apology for this!!!! and much appreciated for bringing this to my attention.

Yes, unfortunately or pool is a “plunge pool” and can only be used to cool off in rather than swim lengths. Our protected beautiful 300 year old Natal Fig tree prevents us for putting in a deeper pool.
The Liesbeek River is canalised at some parts along the river as it winds between the houses. In front of the guest house on our side of the river, we do have the actual river bed. And... We are very fortunate to have a stunning view of the Mountain.

I agree THE RIVER ROOM is not “everyone’s cup of Tea” as this Smaller luxury room has a open plan bathroom - the toilet is not enclosed. This is clearly stated on our Website. This room is more suitable for single occupancy or older couples. Your original booking was for single occupancy. If we had know you where bringing a partner we would have highlighted the open plan bathroom to you on booking, as we do with all couple bookings. I have wonder if you would have felt the same way about Riversong if you had stayed in one of our other 6 larger luxury rooms that have separate en suite bathrooms.

Once again thank you for you comments. Should you wish to give us another try and stay in one of our other rooms in the near future we would love to host you both again.
P.S. Love your music.
Best regards
Inri and The Riversong Team
Richmond, Virginia
Reviewed March 4, 2014

Riversong is a beautiful well maintained property. The accommodations were excellent as were the meals. The staff were extremely helpful and did everything possible to make for a pleasant stay. Riversong Guest House is highly recommended and where I would stay again.

Room Tip: I think any room would be wonderful.
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled as a couple
Inri M, Owner at Riversong Guest House, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Hi there Wayne and Jodie Thank you for taking the time to write a review on Riversong. We loved hosting your group and enjoyed our chats over coffee in the morning. Our next group arrives next Fri. It has been raining heavily along the Safari Route so they will be happy to be in Cape Town in the sunshine. Hope to see you again some time in the near future be it in CT or in Richmond. Best regards Inri and The Riversong Team.
Winston Salem, North Carolina
Reviewed March 3, 2014

Riversong is a beautiful place - the owner, Inri, has decorated every room tastefully and luxuriously with great art, flowers and all the amenities. The stunning view of Table Mountain and the garden area provide a perfect setting for relaxing and enjoying the wonderful breakfasts. Inri and the staff are so friendly and go out of their way to make sure you are comfortable. Inri provides you with the best of tours, suggestions, and reservations to anyplace you would like to go in the area, and gives personal attention to every guest. The great atmosphere and friendly service makes it a very special place - I would love to go back! I highly recommend it!

Room Tip: The Leopard Room was quite comfortable with a great view!
  • Stayed February 2014, traveled with friends
Inri M, Owner at Riversong Guest House, responded to this review, March 4, 2014
Dear Mary Ellis
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. We loved hosting your group and we are looking forward to the next tour group arriving on the 14 March. The weather has been awesome. I hope your family enjoyed the "Ellis Brown" goodies. We look forward to meeting you again in the near future. Best regards Inri and the Riversong Team.
Newcastle, Australia
Reviewed February 9, 2014

Riversong Guest House is set in a beautiful location, with amazingly close and breathtaking views of Table Mountain. With such attention to both service and aesthetics, Riversong creates a fresh yet welcoming and homely feel. Each room is beautifully and uniquely decorated, with different features in each room to appeal to and suit a range of guests. The staff provide a friendly and excellent service, with owner Inri playing an active part in ensuring guests are comfortable and assisting them in organising tourist activities.

Eating breakfast by the pool with stunning views of Table Mountain was both relaxing and refreshing and one of my favourite memories of staying at Riversong! A highly recommended stay!

• Stayed January 2014, traveled with friends
Inri M, Owner at Riversong Guest House, responded to this review, February 10, 2014
Dear Loryn

We loved having you stay with us and so enjoyed doing the tours with you. What fun we had. Archie sends his love. Thanks for sharing your photos on FB on the tours you did after leaving Riversong. It looks like you had an awesome time. We hope to see you back again some time soon as there is still so much to see in SA. Best regards Inri and The Riversong Team.