Tripadvisor
Muldersdrift
All reviews fly fishing gas fireplace royal suite outdoor shower excellent service great weekend beautiful surroundings wedding anniversary get away sunday lunch out of this world dams venue setting accommodation bistro warthogs
Selected filters
Reviewed January 11, 2020 via mobile

As the title says.

I had been invited as a guest by a mate for fishing on New Year's day. Not that I fish mind you. I don't mind bass fishing, that's quite fun, right up to the point of having to take the hook out the mouth of the poor fish. One poor sucker got all hooks stuck in his mouth. So yeah, call me a sissy, I just feel sorry for the poor buggers.
I do enjoy the whole vibe of fishing though. Natural settings and the sound of water.

So after 3 hours of sleep other a New Year's party, I trekked out to Muldersdrift to go fish. Fortunately I don't drink much so was not hung over and feeling like death like in the old days.

The greeting at main gate was friendly and cordial and very welcoming. I loved the drive through the reserve down to the hotel where I saw some buck and zebra, and a the hotel buildings nestled in a beautiful setting. Dams everywhere.
The fishing? Well my mate caught 2 and a crab, and that was it before heading back for lunch at Oevermeer Bistro.

What a lovely little spot, overlooking the dams and valley between two mountains. I really should have taken more pics.

The restaurant was busy but we were welcomed with a jovial smile and given a table straight away, drinks orders taken, food menus given. Given the heat, and coming off the dams after a strenuous day of brutally attacking aquatic forms of life, it was very refreshing to be attended to quickly with alcoholic and non alcoholic, ice cold beverages to sooth our parched throats.

Great menu and food presentation. I chose a meaty pizza. I am a meaty pizza fan. I conquer meaty pizzas with no fear. I consume meaty pizza knowing full well it doesn't stand a chance against me, I will defeat it. I didn't. The first pizza ti have ever defeated me.

After lunch my mates left and, having no reason to go back to Jhb, and feeling a little worse for ware by now, I decided to see if they had a room for night. They did, splendid, some R&R in a beautiful setting in a 5* hotel. What a way to start the new year.

I spent the afternoon sitting on the patio and just enjoying not having to think or worry about anything and just enjoy being served and looking at and hearing nature.

I decided to check in and was treated with the same hospitality. It seems to run through the establishment. I like seeing happy staff. Happy staff, happy customer.

I went down to my room dumped my bag and went straight to the patio. Not a sound other than nature and my own breathing could be heard. I had been craving this moment for 3 years. I lay on the lounger, and just absorbed as much as I could. Even blessed with a little Highveld storm, enhancing the smells of nature. Bliss. Not even the sounds of the big bass fish we didn't catch, now splashing mockingly at me in the dam in front of my room were going to get to me. The sun setting and changing the colour of the landscape till disappearing.

For dinner at the main restaurant I only ordered the pork belly main course. I was still adequately full from lunch 7 hours ago to be honest, which is unusual for me. But of course, they don't like their guests going hungry and so a pre- starter of deep fried Halloumi with a beetroot something was presented. Sorry I don't remember the beetroot thing, I was too busy looking at the quaint presentation of the dish to hear what it was called. I must say, all the food presentation was outstanding.

The pork belly was lovely, I just felt it was missing something, not sure what but, I rated it on is own merits non-the-less and it was very delicious, especially the crackling which was done to perfection.

I was too full to sample from the dessert trolley despite them looking rather mouthwatering and tantalisingly calling to me. I opted for an Irish coffee out on the patio. I thought, if I'm here to relax I better go test the room and bed. So off I went.

The room has everything you need and what you would expect. I spent some more time on the patio taking in the night sounds before heading to my king size bed. Jumped in and turned on the telly. This is not a normal thing for me, I generally don't watch television but, got to watch the Man United / Arsenal game. Shame, poor Man U.

I thought I would wake up at about 4:30 as normal and go for a morning walk, perhaps even up the mountain. My alarm is set for 6am anyway, which would still be early enough for a walk before breakfast.
Lol, 8am I open my eyes. I have slept through 3 alarms going off at intervals right next to my head. I guess the bed is comfortable then.

Damn, breakfast closes at 9am and I wasn't going to miss that. I just love hotel breakfasts. So, the walk was forfeited. I quickly packed up and headed up to the restaurant. Got a table on the patio overlooking the valley. Did breakfast proper. Fruit and cereal for start, then the best part. Hot buffet. Eggs, toast, bacon, potatoes and and and. All of it delicious.

It was at this moment, sipping on my coffee and watching the little birds landing on the front tables and taking their share of breakfast, that I thought, maybe I should stay another night and just enjoy a day of complete relaxation. A bit of Spa treatment and more delicious food.
Unfortunately, it was not too be.

I took in the view one last time, checked out, and headed back to real life once again, and then all of a sudden I was hit with this thought while driving out the foothills of the surrounding mountains.

My motto is to only travel for 1 hour for each day I spend on a break. So, if im driving 4 hours to get there I must spend at least 4 days there. This makes it worth while in my opinion. But as I got to Randpark ridge 20 min later, back into the hustle bustle, I realised that I felt I had been away for two days with only 1 hour travel. What a win.

So if you're looking for that special break and some R&R, even a DW. I would highly recommend Kloofzicht. I'll certainly be back.

Ken

Date of stay: January 2020
Trip type: Traveled solo
1  Thank BackPacker818140
Reviewed January 5, 2020

Spa experience was amazing
The scenery was exceptional
Environment very relaxing
Grounds at spa and lodge well kept
Rooms were clean and spacious
Stunning views of the dam
Would highly recommend Kloofzicht for a couple and special occasions

Date of stay: January 2020
  • Trip type: Traveled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with this hotel
1  Thank 955ZL
KZLGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded January 7, 2020

Good Day

There can be few greater joys than being treated to a relaxing massage. I am glad that your treatment met and exceeded your expectations. The lovely environment, luxury country suites and friendly staff make our venue worth the visit.

Reviewed December 20, 2019

My husband and I had the best couples massage ever at Kloofzicht Spa, upon the scenic drive down to the spa we saw beautiful springboks fighting and playing around, an amazing sighting. The spa is tranquil and scenic with stunning views. Would definitely recommend the massages and pedicure spoils as well. Thanks, Kloofzicht! We will be back.

Date of stay: December 2019
Trip type: Traveled as a couple
1  Thank uvisha
KZLGuestRelations, Guest Relations Manager at Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa, responded to this reviewResponded December 28, 2019

Good Day Uvisha,

There are few greater joys than being treated to a relaxing massage at one of Gauteng’s most beautiful properties! I’m so please we were able to make your stay truly memorable.

Reviewed December 17, 2019

After an epic fail booking at Sibani Hills...... our first call was to Kloofzicht and once again, they did not dissapoint us, from the 1st call made, to booking in, to the suite, to the food, the swimming pool..... everything was just perfect... and the staff went out of their way.. thank you so very much for saving our evening away !!!!

Room tip: You have to go to Kloofzicht !!
1  Thank MichelleR5904

Good Day Michelle,

Glad we could assist with a booking and with a memorable and enjoyable experience. Thank you for your visit and for such a great review. Your wonderful comments will be passed onto the Kloofzicht team in recognition of their effort during your stay

Reviewed December 7, 2019 via mobile

Kloofzicht Lodge & Spa has it’s pro’s and cons.

The Pro’s:
The lodge is beautiful, staff are exceptionally friendly and went over and above in every possible way. The Royal Suite is amazing and outfitted with everything you could wish for. With Gas Fireplaces and an Amazing Jacuzzi. A special thank you to the Manager, Celine as well as Sunday, Alfred and the Chef, Isreal.

The Cons:
The Dinner in the restaurant is not to everyone’s taste. It is a gourmet setup and although a 5 course meal, some dishes were a bit over the top and dare I say, tasteless.

And then there is the Spa. Sad to say, in this area Kloofzicht was disappointing (to say the least). My wife and I had full body messages. The treatments were rushed and the therapists kept talking to other therapists entering and exiting the room. It was not a pleasant experience and definitely not what we expected from a 5 star venue.

All n all, a pleasant experience and Kloofzicht Lodge will see us again.

Trip type: Traveled with family
1  Thank durandte

Good Day Durandt,

It makes us proud to know that Kloofzicht Lodge hit the right buttons with you, i am glad that you were able to have this lovely experience with us.

I am disappointed that you did not find our restaurant quality up to scratch as the Head Chef and his team make every effort to ensure the food taste and presentation is of the appropriate standard.

Thank you for your valued points of improvements, we take your review very highly as a Five star venue it is important to us to offer the best to every single guest. The relevant managerial staff have been notified of your dissatisfaction.