“Bad Experience”

Ranked #4 of 5 Hotels in Muldersdrift
Johannesburg, South Africa
“Bad Experience”
Reviewed August 11, 2010

We stayed at this hotel during the 2010 World Cup as part of a group to attend a game at Soccer City. Our reception was ok, but when we entered our room it looked like it was 20 years old! Old furniture, old linen, old everything! To make it worse, everytime you switch on the heater the electricity trip and you don't have any power untill someone form maintenance come and fix it! Some of the delegates in our group could not even make coffee as the kettle in their room did not work at all! When we came back from the game at about 23h45 the night I found that the electricity was once again off and I had to wait untill about 01h00 for someone to fix it! When reported to management, no appology was offered!
Breakfast dining area was in a terrible outdated dirty state and I was scared to eat much!
One plus point is the nice swimming pool entertainment area!
I am sure that I will NOT be going back to this hotel again!

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Ant1970

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (83)
  • Polish first
Albuquerque, New Mexico
Reviewed July 10, 2010

We have never stayed at a hotel were the staff, everyone from cleaners to upper management, did everything and anything to be as helpful and friendly as they could. The manager, Gilbert, went out of his way to arrange a safari for us and even arranged for us to have dinner in their sister hotel near the game reserve, even though it was fully booked. We would not hesitate in staying there again or recommending it to anyone else. The only minor downside was some traffic noise during the night, but a pair of ear plugs cured that problem and I'm sure even that wouldn't have been an issue if we'd upgraded to a different chalet. As it was, our original basic room wasn't ready when we arrived so they upgraded us without question.
We had a midnight departure flight so Gilbert gave us a complimentary late room departure, enabling us to spend most of our last day in their fantastic spa.
Also, eating at the Carnivore Restaurant is an experience not to be missed. Zebra or Crocodile anyone?
Thanks to all at Misty Hills, we'll be back.

• Stayed June 2010, traveled as a couple
Perth, West Australia
Reviewed July 6, 2010

I stayed here for 3 weeks during the World Cup whilst working near by and had a very good stay all in all. A few little things could be tweaked like the wireless internet service which drove me crazy WHEN it worked as it was very slow but the service and facilities were great. Be warned that in June/July Jo-Berg (its about 1 hr away) is freezing and the rooms with their high thatched ceilings and stone floors make a very cold night. Heaters were provided and I had mine on 24/7 but the place was sooooo cold.
There is a small gym, table tennis, 3 pools (too cold to use) and some nice chill out areas by the pools.
Food here was excellent, the breakfast amazing, the bar food very good but the highlight is the Carnivores restaurant on site which offers as much meat as you can eat from every animal that ever stepped foot in or near Sth Africa. A booking here is often needed as its a poular spot with people coming from a long way to eat the fixed price 3 course meal (165R)

• Stayed June 2010, traveled on business
pretoria
Reviewed July 4, 2010

We started our weekend thinking that this is an excellent four-star resort, the location is beautiful and the hotel reception was very efficient.
Unfortunately, our room (404) and the service received from housekeeping was more comparable to that of a two-star graded hotel.

Our hotel room had tattered towels that looked as if it had been in use for five years, there was a window that had a curtain rail/rod, but no curtains and we had one mug in the room where it was a double room. The showerhead is useless and there is not enough light to be able to put your makeup on properly.

We received notice the night before (at 20:30) that there would be a planned power maintenance the next morning from 08:00 till 11:00 and as such there would be no electricity. Breakfast is served from 07:00 till 11:00.

After breakfast we proceeded to the "Spa in the Country" where my husband and I were booked for a 30-minute back, neck and shoulder massage. As we were shown to our massage room, we found therapists giggling in the hallway and whilst we were being massaged, the one therapists' phone started ringing.

We then proceeded to the "Aroma Spa Bath" which was nothing more than a bubble bath. Old robes were given to us and no slippers were offered. We walked around barefoot in the middle of winter around the spa.

After lazing by the solar-heated pool (which in short means that the pool is not heated and it relies on the sun-rays, being too cold to swim in) we proceeded to the change room to get dressed. We walked past the servants' quarters, spa kitchen and cat baskets to get to the change room. Not what you would expect during a spa experience.

After the spa, we went back to our room. Our one dirty mug was not removed and our coffee supply was not replaced.

I phoned housekeeping, asking for them to bring 2 mugs, as well as the rest of the coffee. The lady who spoke to me offered no apology and was very rude to me over the phone.

We then waited for 40 minutes and only after my husband phoned them again to ask where they were, did the housekeeper pitch up 20 minutes later.

She brought the mugs, put extra coffee back, but did not greet me or offer an apology for their poor housekeeping. She also did not remove the dirty mug or clean the coffee tray.

I am extremely unsatisfied with the service and standard of this hotel and I think this is a hugely overrated hotel. It is over-priced and I can't believe that this is a four-star resort.

Regards,

Marile

• Stayed July 2010, traveled as a couple
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed May 23, 2010

We stayed at Misty Hills exactly a year ago for our last anniversary and enjoyed our stay, which is why we chose to come back for our anniversary this year.

On check-in we struggled to find the hotel reception, as Misty Hills has moved it to the center of the 'resort' - we had to follow windy paths and it was badly signposted. Our room was missing a curtain. When we ordered room service, what was brought did not contain what was listed on the menu as ingredients, and was not hot. The following day, the room service tray outside our door was still not collected until late morning. After housekeeping left, we only had one bath towel. At the pool I had to seek out a waiter to request a lunch order, a couple of minutes after I placed the order, two separate waiters told me that the kitchen was out of stock of what I had ordered. Later we ordered lunch from the room again, and again it was not hot. I requested condiments with the order but did not receive them. The information booklet in the room listed a two-prong plug as available but I could not find it to charge my cell phone. I called reception to ask where in the room the adaptor is kept, only to be told that they actually only have one in the resort which is in the reception, so if I'd like to charge my phone, I can bring it to reception and they would plug it in there - not convenient. We chose to eat in the room for dinner again instead of going out to one of the restaurants. Our food arrived about 40 minutes later. My partner's dish was ice cold, and my snack platter did not contain the selection of South African Cheese that were listed on the menu, and the biltong was chunks of rock hard stale pieces of biltong instead of sliced. I called the room service to complain and order a soup instead. Someone from room service came to the room and collected the platter, only to return a little while later with another platter and not the soup. The waiter apologised that the hotel did not have stock of some of the cheese, but had replaced the biltong with sliced biltong, and there was a selection of cheese which satisfied me. I opened the clingwrap covering the platter and was repulsed by a foul smell - the biltong was off, and the smell of rotten meat was disgusting. I chose to wrap the biltong in the clingwrap to throw it away and continued to eat the cheeses, biscuits, dried fruit and nuts until 3/4 of the way through I happened to look at a piece of dried fruit only to see a fat white worm crawling on it! That was the end for me, and I had to go to the bathroom to throw up. My partner called to report this to a manager, who offered to not charge us for the platter - wow, how kind. We kept the rotten biltong and the fruit with the worm on it to show the day manager which we did upon check-out. Our overall impression was that the hotel had slipped, and did not deserve it's four star grading anymore, whether the hotel has had to cut costs or for any other reason, it is not acceptable. They can't possibly have any hygiene or haccp controls in place.

• Stayed May 2010, traveled as a couple
Warwick, Rhode Island
Reviewed April 13, 2010

No, I wouldn't call this a Four-Star venue full of top-notch luxury (it's not priced there either). But it's as well tended, clean, and the character is unbeatable. Most of the rooms were set up like private huts with thatched roofs, beautiful bathrooms, comfortable beds, and as soon as you stepped outside you felt romantically "lost in the jungle." There was a safe in our room for valuables but we never had any problems nor felt ill at ease. Breakfast was the best of the several southern African hotels we stayed in and the vegetarian food I had at attached Carnivore restaurant was among the best I've had anywhere. Nice, quiet retreat outside Jozi.

• Stayed April 2010
1 Thank PaganEyes
JHBtourist
Reviewed February 10, 2010

I attended a workshop with colleagues at the hotel and stayed overnight. It is supposedly rated as a four star venue, but I was very dissappointed with the experience. It definitely does not compare with other four star venues in and around Johannesburg.

Dinner and breakfast service left much to be desired. The food was unimaginative and the menus repetitive, with limited options.

• Stayed February 2010, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Muldersdrift
Avianto
#1 of 5 in Muldersdrift
Maropeng Boutique Hotel
Maropeng Boutique Hotel
#1 of 1 in Cradle of Humankind World Heritage Site

Been to Misty Hills Country Hotel? Share your experiences!