“Average”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Midrand
Mauritius
“Average”
Reviewed July 22, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for 2 weeks and although I did not encounter any major problems, the services provided are average and the hotel quite expensive.

1. Front Office
Front office staff were friendly and helpful. They attended to my colleagues and myself quickly and were prompt in providing solutions.
There were no problems regarding billing and settlement of bills was a smooth process.

2. Restaurant
There is a limited choice of food at the restaurant for dinner.
The breakfast cost was not included in the hotel rates and we were not informed of this at time of booking. We only learnt about this about check in. Although there is a wide range of food to choose from for breakfast, it is really expensive.

3. Room
The room is large and clean. Bathroom is very spacious and clean. There is also a large desk in the room as well as a nice TV. Clean kettle was also available in the room. Good wifi connection in the room.
Noise insulation is bad and you can hear the traffic on the nearby highway as well as planes flying to and from an airport situated not too far away. I was awoken several nights due to noise in the corridor.

4. Internet
500MB free internet on a daily basis, which is more than enough for checking emails and browsing internet.

5. Other services
Not many equipment in the gym, but you there are some cardio equipment and weights. No sanitizers to wipe the equipment after use. There is a small pool, but it was too cold to try it out.

• Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
PHMidrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, July 29, 2014
Dear Poonam D,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a comment on Trip Advisor with regards to your recent stay at Protea Hotel Midrand.

Meeting and exceeding GUESTS’ expectations can only be achieved through efficient and friendly, personalised service. Your comments, together with the others we receive, are being analysed and will be instrumental in helping us to maintain and improve, where necessary, our standards of service and facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience you experienced as a result of the noise in the passage and outside, disturbing you during the night and also not being aware what exactly your rate includes / excludes. Your feedback certainly does not reflect the high standard of service that we at Protea Hotel Midrand are usually proud to offer. We confirm therefore that your comments have been addressed and action has been taken to rectify the problem areas.
We are delighted to receive your commendations about the impressive service offered. Please be assured that I will congratulate our TEAM for doing a great job!

We hope that you will be staying with us again soon. We should welcome another opportunity to show you Protea Hospitality at its best, and we look forward to hearing from you.

Yours sincerely,

Jacques Jordaan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Chicago, Illinois
Reviewed July 21, 2014

If you have to work in the area then it is a good value for a business traveler, I stay in South Africa regularly and this is a good value for a business person, IT is not for romance or couples or families looking for amenities but it is a solid business hotel

Room Tip: stay away from the highway as much as possible for the noise level
  • Stayed July 2014, traveled on business
PHMidrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, July 23, 2014
Dear robert g,

Thank you for taking the time to complete a Trip Advisor comment with your positive feedback after your recent stay with us at Protea Hotel Midrand.

I am delighted that you find our hotel convenient for business travellers as well as good value, we pride ourselves to be a business travellers home away from home being ideally situated centrally between Pretoria and Johannesburg.

GUEST feedback is imperative for us to ensure that we are meeting and exceeding our GUESTS expectations. Your comments are therefore much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotel Midrand again soon.

Regards,
Jacques Jordaan General Manager
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed June 26, 2014

I stayed at this hotel for an extended stay of 12 days. I experienced the following

I requested a room close to reception. Apparently this is not a concept that staff understand as the room they gave me was 236 yes not so close to reception

I ordered a gourmet sandwich which should have been served on a French Baguette. Apparently a hot dog roll is the same as a French Baguette. Who knew!

There were ants in the bath. Not the first time this has happened. Brought this to the attention of the manager previously guess they can't fix it.

Ordered breakfast and was very specific about what I want. Asked for bacon got chicken livers. Staff just don't listen

One one day there was no water and the lack of smiles and service from the staff was unbelievable. I understood they couldn't help the situation but really can't you smile and act like you care that I can't bathe before I go to a business meeting? Thanks for the bucket of cold water.

My room key had to be reset EVERY day. It would work on the entry to the hotel room but not on the actual room. I saw the duty manager in the lobby and he was kind enough to tell me that they would reprogram the door. Thanks Arno would have been nice if you could have reset my key for me and didn't make me wait at reception for 20 minutes while you chatted with your buddy. Perhaps if the staff were more aware they could have reprogrammed the door I don't know maybe on day 2 or 3 and not day 11. Just a suggestion.

Went to the Spa over the weekend. Asked specifically for a deep tissue massage and then added on a facial just to treat myself. Was very clear when I booked about what I wanted. Ended up with a hot stone massage and the must violent face rubbing facial I've ever had in my life. Hard to complain when you're lying naked in a room that is so overheated you think you might pass out at any time but hey they don't listed to you anyway so what's the point will never go there again

The highlight from my stay was the chicken and mushroom pasta. Don't have anything else positive to say. All in all a massive disappointment.

Please don't offer me any freebies or free cupcakes and water knocking on my door late at night instead just get it right. I don't have much choice about staying at your hotel because my company books the rooms so next time...just get it right.

Room Tip: Haven't had one yet
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
PHMidrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, July 2, 2014
Dear adele2310,
Thank you for taking the time to write down your experience after your recent extended stay at Protea Hotel Midrand. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our standards of service and facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you experienced throughout your stay, from your room being far away from reception (we have made a note on your profile and will do our best to allocate you a room closer to reception on your next visit), through to the room key that did not want to work (we have reprogrammed and cleaned all the locks, but should have done this earlier as not to inconvenience our GUESTS). I can truly understand how extremely frustrating it must have been for GUESTS experiencing a hotel room with no water, unfortunately this was outside of our control and we did everything possible to ensure our GUESTS were as comfortable as possible. Your comments with regards to the incorrect order in the restaurant was taken up with our Food and Beverage department and further training has been done. We are happy that enjoyed our chicken and mushroom pasta. I have also forwarded your comments with regards to your spa treatment to the outsourced Camelot Spa company and trust they will rectify their shortcomings. The above by no means reflects the high standard of quality and service that Protea Hotel Midrand is usually proud to offer. I confirm therefore that I have investigated your comments in a serious light and taken action to rectify the shortcomings.

Your feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated, and we look forward to the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotels again in the near future.

Best regards,

Jacques Jordaan

Travelers are raving about these Midrand hotels

Bethesda, MD
Reviewed June 18, 2014

I stayed at this hotel in what is supposed to be a "junior suite." The room is spacious and relatively clean - but that cannot make up for the disgusting ant colony living in the bathroom! I checked in after a long flight from the U.S. and saw a lot of ants in the bathroom. I mentioned it to the front desk and they sent housekeeping to clean the bathroom. The next morning I saw even more ants so I knew there was a problem. The front desk assured me that I would be moved to a new room. Unfortunately, the only room available also had an ant problem. Then I discovered a massive number of ants behind the toilet. The response from the front desk has been very unhelpful and though they have committed to finding another room tomorrow when there are supposed to be new vacancies. There has been no offer of any compensation or support for the unacceptable conditions. I was told by a support person that they are experimenting with a new exterminator. Clearly, this is not a successful experiment! This hotel barely deserves a 2 star rating. The rooms are dingy and not well lit. The fitness center is dirty and has a limited number of equipment - two noisy treadmills, two elliptical machines, and an upright bike that is broken and cannot be adjusted. There is water and free weights, but no sanitizing wipes and no towels. I cannot recommend this hotel for any purpose. Though they offer free wifi, there is nothing else to recommend.

Room Tip: Check the bathtub and bathroom floor for ants. If you find them, ask to be moved.
  • Stayed June 2014, traveled on business
PHMidrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, June 21, 2014
Dear Susan H,

Thank you for taking the time to comment on trip advisor and to write down your additional comments after your recent stay at Protea Hotel Midrand. Your feedback is high valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our standards of service and facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you experienced. Your feedback regarding the ant problem in the hotel which resulted in you moving rooms as well as our un-satisfactory fitness centre by no means reflects the high standard of quality and service that Protea Hotel Midrand is usually proud to offer. I confirm therefore that I have investigated your comments in a serious light and action will be taken to rectify the shortcomings.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotels again in the near future.

Best regards,
Leusden
Reviewed May 27, 2014

Last week I stayed a couple of nights in this very nice and clean hotel.
Not only the rooms are nice, clean and well equipped, also the restaurant and bar is very nice.
The staff is also very friendly with a high service oriented attitude.

Dear Marcel F,

GUESTS’ perceptions of the service they receive whilst staying with Protea Hotels is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. I should, therefore, like to thank you for taking the time to write a response on Trip Advisor with regards to your recent stay with us.

Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Midrand and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon. Please do not hesitate to contact me personally for any further assistance you may require in the future.

Kind regards,
Rabat, Morocco
Reviewed May 20, 2014

I did book a taxi and I got confirmation for the voucher. They forgot to come and pickup me from the airport. Where we have dinner is cold and no heat, Dirty windows with Spider Web and I got a black Spider in my room. The General Manager sent me official letter and came to my room to apologize. He provided me Spontaneously a Big room but cold and 2 levels down the ground floor without elevator (it is just exil for me. that was my feeling). Assistance with luggage, you have to ask for it. Terrible experience. Thanks.

Room Tip: Avoid this hotel.
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
PHMidrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, May 26, 2014
Dear Mounire B,

I refer to your recently completed comment on Trip Advisor. On behalf of the management and STAFF at Protea Hotel Midrand, I would like to apologise most sincerely for your unacceptable service experience.

We are extremely saddened by your feedback. As you are aware, Protea Hotels prides itself in delivering the best GUEST service and strives to get the basics right consistently. Your overall experience is therefore very concerning to us.

I wish to confirm that I have personally followed up with our transport company with regards to your airport pick that was booked incorrectly. We also took note that you mention it is cold in restaurant and have addressed that specific issue as well. Please accept our apologies for the spider in the room and we are very sorry that you did not enjoy the executive suite that we offered as compensation for your bad service experience.

Thank you for taking the time to report your constructive criticism as it is absolutely necessary for us to know how our GUESTS experience our service and facilities. We value your feedback as an extremely important tool in our day to day operations, as this helps us to improve your next stay.

Your interest and concern are truly invaluable to us. Please do not hesitate to contact me should you require any further assistance whatsoever.

Yours sincerely,
Greytown, South Africa
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

We stay at the PH group a lot... but found this hotel to be particularly unimpressive. The rooms where dull and dreary. Lights didn't work. No assistance with luggage. Wouldn't be my first choice but it is a bearable one for one night perhaps.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
PHMidrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Dear S_Gangz,

I refer to your review that you kindly completed with regards to your stay with us in July 2013. We wish to assure you that your feedback about your experience at Protea Hotel Midrand is viewed in a serious light.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that was caused to you during your stay. Your experience with the service delivery with regards to luggage assistance and lights that did not work most certainly does not reflect the high standard that Protea Hotel Midrand is usually proud to offer. On a more positive note, I am delighted to inform you that we have completed soft refurbishment of all our rooms in December 2013 and we are very proud of our modern “new” rooms.

We hope that you will be staying with us again soon. We should welcome another opportunity to show you Protea Hospitality at its best.

Yours in hospitality

Jacques Jordaan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midrand
Premier Hotel Midrand
City Lodge Hotel Waterfall City
Mercure Johannesburg Midrand
Mercure Johannesburg Midrand
#39 of 68 in Johannesburg

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand? Share your experiences!