“Unimpressed”

Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Midrand
Greytown, South Africa
“Unimpressed”
Reviewed May 12, 2014 via mobile

We stay at the PH group a lot... but found this hotel to be particularly unimpressive. The rooms where dull and dreary. Lights didn't work. No assistance with luggage. Wouldn't be my first choice but it is a bearable one for one night perhaps.

Stayed July 2013, traveled with friends
PHMidrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, May 17, 2014
Dear S_Gangz,

I refer to your review that you kindly completed with regards to your stay with us in July 2013. We wish to assure you that your feedback about your experience at Protea Hotel Midrand is viewed in a serious light.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the inconvenience that was caused to you during your stay. Your experience with the service delivery with regards to luggage assistance and lights that did not work most certainly does not reflect the high standard that Protea Hotel Midrand is usually proud to offer. On a more positive note, I am delighted to inform you that we have completed soft refurbishment of all our rooms in December 2013 and we are very proud of our modern “new” rooms.

We hope that you will be staying with us again soon. We should welcome another opportunity to show you Protea Hospitality at its best.

Yours in hospitality

Jacques Jordaan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Reviewed May 8, 2014

I stayed in the hotel for 3 nights to attend a conference hosted in Midrand, commencing on a Sunday evening. The good news is that it is well located close to the freeway and outside the traffic intensive areas of the surrounding cities. But trying to review this hotel is more difficult than any other I have encountered in decades of travelling. Normally I will form a first impression on the first day and the rest of the stay will confirm it with more substance, as a pattern will emerge in terms of service quality, food quality, etc. In this case, the first day, Sunday, was a disaster and if I had another option to move hotel, I would have grabbed it with both hands. I had trouble finding my room (the number of the room have nothing to do with the floor, as the circular layout enforces continuously changing elevations), the room card only partially unlocked the room, the wireless internet not allowing me to engage, the aircon rattling on an unfamiliar beat. Worst of all, a cocktail event was hosted on the patio, absorbing all waiters and kitchen staff. I made the mistake of competing with my dinner request, one of 5 tables engaging in this challenge. Eventually I claimed victory against the 4 other tables. I cheated, as I grabbed a tray carrying staff member before he had an opportunity to pick up speed en-route to the cocktail function.

After my early impression of a South African version of Fawlty Towers, I had several pleasant experiences of very friendly and helpful staff. In my judgement, with the right structure and guidance, they will be the hotel's biggest asset. Room maintenance will have to be addressed. The room itself was comfortable, but I found their practise of having a single water bottle placed in the room inadequate. This bottle is refilled daily, hopefully from a filtered source. I would rather pay for a sealed bottle and have a 2nd bottle available. The fridge is also empty, thus no option to have a snack or drink, except if you stock up the fridge yourself.

The meal quality was average that did not justify the price tag. This was not a dealbreaker for me, as the location of the hotel allows for making use of a range of nearby restaurants.

I got the impression that management was seriously sourcing feedback from guests, as review cards were distributed during meals and placed on the bed daily. Hopefully they will re- act to valid issues, as this could be a good choice in future.

Room Tip: Ask for closest room to entrance to avoid extensive staircase navigation
  • Stayed May 2014, traveled on business
Dear Johanria,

GUESTS’ perception of the service they receive whilst staying with Protea Hotels is the only true yardstick we have for measuring whether or not we have met their expectations. We would, therefore like to thank you for taking the time to write a review with regards to your stay at Protea Hotel Midrand. I can assure you that your comments will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our service levels and facilities.

The inconvenience which you experienced during your stay with regards to the confusing room numbering and changing elevations of the floors, your room card and wireless internet that was challenging to use as well as the rattling air conditioner (we have addressed this in conjunction with further room maintenance) as well as your experience with a lack of restaurant service during the cocktail event is most definitely not the standard we strive to achieve. Please be assured your comments have been addressed in detail with the relevant management and STAFF.

We agree Protea Hotel Midrand is centrally situated with easy access to national roads and surrounding cities and were delighted to learn that you found our STAFF to be very friendly and helpful. We are very proud of the bottled water we offer to all our Protea Hotels GUESTS, Vivreau pure water, environmentally positive water to help reduce carbon footprint and bottled at the hotels, we also have other branded water available at the hotel if a GUEST prefer another option.

Howick, South Africa
Reviewed April 27, 2014

My wife and I recently stayed at this hotel for one night enroute to a family wedding in Gauteng. This hotel was chosen for convenience from the freeway and also based on quality of service when used previously some years ago.

The room and breakfast costs were very high for what we received:
1) Shower/bath hot water mixer not working (could only get hot water which had to be cooled down in bath through standing time and the addition of cold water from sink using the kettle). Duty manager did not respond to phone call to complain. Reception responded and admitted that there was serious problem when staff member came to room. The stainless steel cover plate around regulator unit was missing a screw, suggesting that there had been problems in the past!
48 hours have past and no response has been received following my handing in at reception of feed back card when we left.
2) Dinner quality mediochre.
3) Breakfast ok but hot items were only warm.

Not Happy Travellers! Will not reccommend this hotel!

Room Tip: Check out the plumbing before you unpack.
  • Stayed April 2014, traveled as a couple
PHMidrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, April 30, 2014
Dear SandyD268

Thank you for taking the time to complete a GUEST comment form and to write down our additional comments after your stay at Protea Hotel Midrand. Your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our standards of service and facilities.

Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience you experienced. Your feedback regarding hot water mixer, the duty manager not responding to the call as well as reception not assisting with this serious problem. It is totally unacceptable that no one at the hotel attended your maintenance issue and it resulted in you not enjoying your stay with us. We are very proud of our dinner and breakfast offering and your experience by no means reflects the high standard of quality and service Protea Hotel Midrand is usually proud to offer. I confirm therefore that I have investigated your comments in a serious light and taken action to rectify the shortcomings.

Your feedback is imperative for us to ensure that our GUESTS’ expectations are being met and exceeded. Without your comments, we would never know when we are doing right, but more importantly, when we are doing wrong! Thank you for assisting us to strive for service excellence.

Your interest and concern are much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you to Protea Hotels again in the near future.

Jacques Jordaan

Travelers are raving about these Midrand hotels

Pattaya
Reviewed April 8, 2014

Not sure what was wrong with my original review that it was rejected, but anyway let's try again!
The Protea Hotel, Midrand is a decent enough hotel.
I am currently 4 weeks through a 5 week stay. It has everything that you could possibly need as a business traveller, I chose it as ith was ideal for the office that I was spending time at, however even though I can see the office from the hotel and vice versa it was still a 30 minute journey on a good day due to the traffic!
The bedrooms are adequate with plenty of power points for all your needs, although I was disapointed that my room contained 2 singles beds when a double would have been more to my liking.
The house-keeping, I would have liked to have seen a vacuum cleaner a little more often around my room.
The laundry service is pretty good however I find myself every weekk chasing reception & house-keeping for laundry bags & forms! They just never seem to get replaced on a daily basis.
There is a gym which i made the use of almost daily although one of the crosstrainer machines does need attention.
As i said it was more that adequate for my business purposes, however where the hotel is sited does not aid if you are there for the purpose of tourism. You are pretty much limited to eating in the hotel restaurant as well due to the lack ok of any local eateries.
The breakfast was for me just okay and to be honest I much preferred the breakfast at the the Protea Hotel in nearby Samrand when I stayed there earlier in the year.
Now my biggest problem was when I ordered room-service, I ordered Cannelloni which I had eaten before and was very nice, but on this occasion I found myself chewing on a 6cm length of elastic band! The offending item had found ii's way into my food, of course I complained and of course i received a couple of apologies, but what I would have liked was a proper explantation as to how it got there, god forbid had a child choked on it!
Overall the staff are friendly and always greet you when they are passing.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
1 Thank scotchbroth100
PHMidrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, April 10, 2014
Dear scotchbroth100,
Thank you for taking the time and trying a second time to complete your review, your feedback is highly valued and will be used constructively to maintain and improve, where necessary, our standards of service and facilities.
Please accept my sincere apologies for the discomfort and inconvenience that you experienced during your stay. Your feedback about your bed requirements have been noted on your profile, so during your next visit we will certainly ensure that you are most comfortable in a different room type with a queen size bed. You mentioned that housekeeping needs to pay more attention to vacuuming more and replacing laundry bags and list regularly, we will address these issues as the rooms are cleaned as per a set standard daily and that includes vacuuming and replacing items used.
Your comments regarding the gym is noted and we will certainly have all the machines checked and serviced so that our GUESTS do not miss out on their training program while traveling and staying at our hotel.
We would certainly welcome any comments you have on how we can improve on our breakfast for your benefit and ours. Regarding your comment on the offending item that found its way into your room service food, we would like to sincerely apologise for this. We have investigated this to its fullest extent and we can assure you that something like this will not happen again.
We are delighted to receive your commendations about experiencing our hotel as ideally situated (even though the traffic remains a challenge) for your business requirements, not to mention the power points which are so important to ease our GUEST’s stay as well as our friendly STAFF.
Your interest and concern are much appreciated, and we hope to have the privilege of welcoming you back to Protea Hotels Midrand again in the near future.
Portimao, Portugal
Reviewed April 4, 2014

The hotel is listed as a four star but it does not compare to a European 4 star. I would give the hotel more of a 3 star award. The food in the restaurant is also poor from breakfast to dinner. The food is an important item because there is little around the hotel so it will be your only option. This said the staff are all very friendly. Unless you have particular reason for visiting the area this hotel is in I would recommend looking elsewhere. One finally point is that you should be careful using the hotel taxi service, I discovered later how much of rip off this was when I used the taxi services from other hotels and saw that they were a third of the price of the Midrand.

• Stayed March 2014, traveled on business
PHMidrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, April 8, 2014
Dear init4thetravel,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor, we wish to assure you that your feedback about your service experience at Protea Hotel Midrand is viewed in a serious light. Your comments with regards to the food and taxi service, together with the others we received, are being analysed and will be instrumental in helping us to maintain and improve, where necessary, our standards of service and facilities. We are delighted that learn that find our STAFF very friendly and helpful and proud ourselves in commitment to the Best GUEST Service.
tanzania
Reviewed April 1, 2014 via mobile

I found the location of the hotel to be less than ideal. The road leading to the hotel is poorly lit and isolated.
Staff are friendly and accommodating which makes time in the hotel a better experience.

The breakfast spread was good and accommodates vegetarians as well.

Rooms and bathrolms are small but neat and contain the necessary amenities, viz. Satellite tv, tea and coffee, hair dryer...shampoo, soap etc in the bathroom.

I did have an issue with the room not being cleaned but housekeeping were quick to respond, clean and ensure that didn't happen again.

All in all a decent place to say if you have work in the Midrand area but don't count on being walking distance to any restaurants, malls or entertainment places.

Stayed April 2014, traveled on business
Dear JunaidElias,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor, we were delighted to receive your commendations about our friendly and accommodating STAFF as well as our good breakfast spread. Please accept my sincere apologies with regards to your room not being cleaned and pleased that you had no further problems during your stay. Your interest and concern are therefore extremely valuable to us, and we hope that you will be staying with us again soon. We should welcome another opportunity to show you Protea Hospitality at its best!
Johannesburg, South Africa
Reviewed March 17, 2014

We have been staying at Protea Midrand Hotel for many years now and eventhough we reside in Johannesburg, any excuse to get away we will chose Protea Midrand Hotel. We are like family and we have enjoyed many occasions both big and small, ranging from 80th birthday celebrations to 50th birthday parties, weekend breakaways, the very best to be found here! We love the serenity of the location, lovely pool and beatiful Koi ponds. Rooms are spacious and special attention is always given to my little grandson who has practically grown up there. Management is always ready to assist and at our last stay we were greated with a beautiful welcoming basket of fruit! Love it there and can't wait for our next stay!

Room Tip: We always stay in the rooms closest to the doors because of the little one, the rooms overlooking th...
  • Stayed December 2013, traveled with family
Dear Odette v,
Thank you for taking the time to review us on Trip Advisor, we were delighted to hear that you experience Protea Hotel Midrand as a home away from home and proud ourselves in our garden and koi pond and that your grandson grew up with us. Please be assured that I will convey your complimentary feedback to our TEAM for doing a great job. Thank you for choosing to stay at Protea Hotel Midrand and we look forward to welcoming you back again soon.
Jacques Jordaan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midrand
Premier Hotel Midrand
#38 of 68 in Johannesburg
The Gallagher Hotel
The Gallagher Hotel
#6 of 10 in Midrand

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand? Share your experiences!