“Good business hotel”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Midrand
Reviewed August 26, 2013

Clean room with good service and food. Lighting is poor in the rooms and an elevator would be nice as it caters to business travelers. I always travel with 2 or 3 heavy bags for work and the stairs are a pain. A porter was right there to assist so it went smoothly but an elevator is a little more dignified. I would stay there again.

Room Tip: Ground floor if you have heavy bags....
  • Stayed: August 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded September 13, 2013

Dear Kim H

Thank you for staying with Protea Hotels during your travels to South Africa.

A fresh room is what we aim to provide for every GUEST; coupled with good food and efficient service. I am thrilled that this is what you experienced and will be sue to congratulate the TEAM.

Although we do not currently have a lift, I am pleased that the STAFF was on hand to assist you with all your needs.

I look forward to welcoming you back on your next trip.

There are newer reviews for Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand

Reviewed August 19, 2013

We checked into this hotel at 8pm at night. I had 4 bags and no elevator to use to bring the bags to the room. The room was quite outdated and thank goodness the bathroom was redone. The lightening was poor and the bed was a mattress on a hard wood frame. The carpets smelled like cleaning fluid.
I called for an ironing board and it was wooden and old. I was unable to eat the tomato and mozzarella at the restaurant after waiting quite some time. The beer was good and the staff nice.
No thanks and the place needs a major overhaul.

• Stayed: July 2013, traveled on business

Dear ScopeDRK

I appreciate the time you have taken to provide such valuable feedback.

Please accept my apologies for your experience at our hotel. It is our aim to not only meet, but exceed GUEST expectations and it is disappointing that this was not the case for you.

As there are no lifts in the hotel, we offer assistance to GUESTS after checking in. It is concerning that you were not helped and I will be addressing this with the TEAM. Your feedback regarding the beds and mattresses will most certainly be raised with senior management in order to resolve it speedily. I personally conducted a check of all our ironing boards and can assure you that old boards will no longer be in circulation. Lastly, I have spoken with the chef about your meal and this will not occur again.

Keeping the hotel well maintained and fresh is very important and these issues will be addressed immediately.

Please contact me directly at gm@phmidrand.co.za should you wish to discuss this further.

Reviewed May 24, 2013

Good value for money. Clean rooms and nice business hotel. Staff great and very helpful, though drivers tended to arrive late even if the transport was ordered the evening before. 100mb free wifi included in the room price. Good breakfast and average gym.

As anywhere in Johannesburg, you need to have a car or use hotel transport.
Rooms are quite cousy but as SA hotels, hotel room door is a bit flimsy and not quite well sound insulated. So noise from the corridor is (if unlucky) quite loud. Though I didn't have any problem sleeping at all and found the hotel to be very good value for your money.

Room Tip: Rooms 225-228 can be a bit noisy due to service storage rooms beside it and opposite to it. Staff di...
  • Stayed: May 2013, traveled on business
1  Thank Rndmm
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded May 28, 2013

Dear Rndmm

Thank you for your review and sharing it on TripAdvisor.

Providing a fresh room for every GUEST plays an essential role in the experience that we aim to offer our GUESTS. On top of that, the warm, helpful and friendly TEAM set the tone in our functional, business hotel.

It is lovely to hear of your comments, which will be passed on to the STAFF. I am however saddened that you had some trouble with the drivers punctuality and I will address this immediately.

I am fully aware of the peace and quiet one needs after a long day at the office. Your feedback regarding the noise levels is appreciated and I will be looking into your concerns along with the TEAM.

Fuelling up at breakfast is certainly important and I am happy that it was to your satisfaction.

I look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed May 16, 2013

I stayed here on business for close to a month and was impressed by the friendly and efficient assistance provided by staff, always with a smile and eager to go the extra mile. Rooms and the bathroom were large enough, and clean, ensuring that i was comfortable at all times. Not much decor and colour in the suites but due to the nature of my visit, it served its purpose well. The shuttle services and wake up alls were done professionally. The food was great and they had a nice variation for the suppers, of which, i enjoyed the braai nights the most, however breakfast was the standard english breakfast and after a while, it becomes monotonous. Overall a good economical offering and i will go back definitely.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded May 17, 2013

Dear Donny R

Our goal is to offer the best GUEST service on a continuous basis. There is no better test than a GUEST that has stayed for a month and I am thrilled that we passed with flying colours.

It was a pleasure hosting you in, what you termed, our “good business hotel”. The STAFF never seize to amaze me with their positive attitudes and I will definitely be congratulating them all.

From the comfortable rooms to the tasty braai evenings, I am happy you enjoyed your stay.

Until next time, safe travels.

Reviewed May 5, 2013

I spent 7 days in this hotel in March 2013 and was so impressed by the staff. Nothing was too much to ask and they were really eager to make sure that my stay was comfortable. It's a business hotel - not really a place I'd book whilst on holiday, but the new spa (just opened when we were there, by Camelot) and the pool was great. The decor is functional, not going to be featured in a design magazine, but the beds were comfortable and that's a big deal-breaker for me. Also, the gym is well-equipped and room-service was quick and tasty. Really impressed with the service - well done.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jo-Ann S
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Jo-Ann S

Your great title and positive review has put a sparkle on my face, which I am sure will be there for a while.

Being a hotel that caters for a lot of business CLIENTS, we focus on providing the best GUEST service, comfortable facilities and delicious food. Our ability to tick these boxes during your stay confirms that we are on track for meeting our goals.

Our new Camelot spa is such a great addition to the property and to hear your support of the offering is, again, wonderful.

I will pass on your comments to the TEAM and at the same time commend them for their on-going service.

Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Booked this hotel for a last minute work commitment in Midrand. The rooms are a bit drab and could use some updating but that is really my only complaint. Staff was great, the setting was serene with a wonderful garden and fountain. It was quiet. I had several meals in the bar where it was generally pretty subdued with a game on and plenty of comfortable seating. Food was not bad and service was really good. There were a couple of conferences going on but most typically cleared out in the evening making it a little quieter. Had a great stay and would recommend for business stays in Midrand. Just be aware that there is nothing really walking distance and any trip to a store or restaurant by taxi is R300 (round trip). It is also not close to OR Tambo so taxi fare is R400-600.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear DaveLD

I am pleased that we were able to accommodate you last minute and even happier that you enjoyed your stay.

Our location is well suited for the business traveler with all the on-site facilities one could need. After a busy day, it is great to hear that you were able to relax and have a meal at the bar.

We value the STAFF that work at our hotel and will make sure that they are congratulated on their efforts in achieving the best GUEST service.

Thank you for your lovely review and recommendations.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed here for 9 nights and had a positive experience overall.

First the good - a clean room and bathroom was always a pleasure to come back to. I found the laundry service convenient. I almost always had good reception of the hotel's wi-fi signal which was crucial for my staying in touch with the office. There were security guards in the parking area at all times. The outside deck adjoining the lobby and restaurant was always pleasant, the Koi fish and the flowing water was relaxing. I had a few memorable lunches here...I heartily recommend the roasted beef gourmet sandwich with caramelised onions! The gym, when accessible (due to ongoing renovations), had a fair range of equipment.

Second - the not so good. This is a sprawling hotel and the air in the corridors would be rather fetid in the mornings. Rather unpleasant to walk thru on your way to the lobby. A few open skylights or extractor fans would be very convenient. Whenever possible, we took the nearest exit and walked thru the garden. We also reported the air-con units in our rooms were rather smelly. The repair person promptly attended to the report, but didn't make any difference.

Third - the downright annoying. When the restaurant got a little busy in the evenings, the service went downhill. First night in the hotel we decided to try the restaurant. Waited for my order for 50 minutes. When the food arrived I ordered a glass of wine. It arrived 25 minutes later as I was paying for the meal...the glass of wine found some other lucky diner...hopefully its what he ordered! We therefore chose to eat out most nights. On another night, after waiting for about 10 minutes for the waiter to come back for my drinks order I chose to go to the bar myself...passed the gaping waiters milling about the lobby on my way there. 2 minutes later I had my drinks! Room service was slightly better than the restaurant.

I wouldn't stay at this hotel if I was on a holiday, there aren't any facilities/attractions in the immediate vicinity. There are a couple of shopping centres about 7km from the hotel where most of the popular fast food franchises are to be found. Sandton is about 25km away for some decent shopping. Its a decent hotel that deserves its popularity, but needs to improve on restaurant service and servicing of room air-cons.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear gpk111

Thank you for choosing Protea Hotels once again and for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

I love how you describe the outside deck by the restaurant and the koi fish that helped you to relax. Offering hearty and memorable lunches are exactly what the TEAM strives for every day.

Thank you for mentioning the concerns you had with the corridors in the morning. I have already spoken with the TEAM and we will definitely ensure that there is more fresh air flowing in from the early morning. I apologise that your air conditioner was not fixed correctly; we do have weekly maintenance schedules for all units and I will look into this further.

I am aware of the issues you raised in the restaurant and I have implemented an intensive training program to increase the service levels. I am very confident that issues raised will be corrected soon in order for us for us to ensure we’re offering the best GUEST service.

I am really glad that our Wi-Fi access was helpful during your business trip as well as our convenient location.

Please email gm@phmidrand.co.za to get in touch with me directly. We look forward to your next visit and, whilst you are here, please pop in and say Hi.

Protea Hotel Midrand

Also consider these accommodations in or near Midrand
Premier Hotel Midrand
#35 of 66 in Johannesburg
The Gallagher Hotel
The Gallagher Hotel
#5 of 10 in Midrand

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand? Share your experiences!