“Functional and very friendly, efficient staff”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Midrand
Reviewed May 5, 2013

I spent 7 days in this hotel in March 2013 and was so impressed by the staff. Nothing was too much to ask and they were really eager to make sure that my stay was comfortable. It's a business hotel - not really a place I'd book whilst on holiday, but the new spa (just opened when we were there, by Camelot) and the pool was great. The decor is functional, not going to be featured in a design magazine, but the beds were comfortable and that's a big deal-breaker for me. Also, the gym is well-equipped and room-service was quick and tasty. Really impressed with the service - well done.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
2  Thank Jo-Ann S
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Dear Jo-Ann S

Your great title and positive review has put a sparkle on my face, which I am sure will be there for a while.

Being a hotel that caters for a lot of business CLIENTS, we focus on providing the best GUEST service, comfortable facilities and delicious food. Our ability to tick these boxes during your stay confirms that we are on track for meeting our goals.

Our new Camelot spa is such a great addition to the property and to hear your support of the offering is, again, wonderful.

I will pass on your comments to the TEAM and at the same time commend them for their on-going service.

Thank you for your review and we hope to welcome you back soon.

There are newer reviews for Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand

Reviewed May 4, 2013

Booked this hotel for a last minute work commitment in Midrand. The rooms are a bit drab and could use some updating but that is really my only complaint. Staff was great, the setting was serene with a wonderful garden and fountain. It was quiet. I had several meals in the bar where it was generally pretty subdued with a game on and plenty of comfortable seating. Food was not bad and service was really good. There were a couple of conferences going on but most typically cleared out in the evening making it a little quieter. Had a great stay and would recommend for business stays in Midrand. Just be aware that there is nothing really walking distance and any trip to a store or restaurant by taxi is R300 (round trip). It is also not close to OR Tambo so taxi fare is R400-600.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business

Dear DaveLD

I am pleased that we were able to accommodate you last minute and even happier that you enjoyed your stay.

Our location is well suited for the business traveler with all the on-site facilities one could need. After a busy day, it is great to hear that you were able to relax and have a meal at the bar.

We value the STAFF that work at our hotel and will make sure that they are congratulated on their efforts in achieving the best GUEST service.

Thank you for your lovely review and recommendations.

Reviewed March 5, 2013

I stayed here for 9 nights and had a positive experience overall.

First the good - a clean room and bathroom was always a pleasure to come back to. I found the laundry service convenient. I almost always had good reception of the hotel's wi-fi signal which was crucial for my staying in touch with the office. There were security guards in the parking area at all times. The outside deck adjoining the lobby and restaurant was always pleasant, the Koi fish and the flowing water was relaxing. I had a few memorable lunches here...I heartily recommend the roasted beef gourmet sandwich with caramelised onions! The gym, when accessible (due to ongoing renovations), had a fair range of equipment.

Second - the not so good. This is a sprawling hotel and the air in the corridors would be rather fetid in the mornings. Rather unpleasant to walk thru on your way to the lobby. A few open skylights or extractor fans would be very convenient. Whenever possible, we took the nearest exit and walked thru the garden. We also reported the air-con units in our rooms were rather smelly. The repair person promptly attended to the report, but didn't make any difference.

Third - the downright annoying. When the restaurant got a little busy in the evenings, the service went downhill. First night in the hotel we decided to try the restaurant. Waited for my order for 50 minutes. When the food arrived I ordered a glass of wine. It arrived 25 minutes later as I was paying for the meal...the glass of wine found some other lucky diner...hopefully its what he ordered! We therefore chose to eat out most nights. On another night, after waiting for about 10 minutes for the waiter to come back for my drinks order I chose to go to the bar myself...passed the gaping waiters milling about the lobby on my way there. 2 minutes later I had my drinks! Room service was slightly better than the restaurant.

I wouldn't stay at this hotel if I was on a holiday, there aren't any facilities/attractions in the immediate vicinity. There are a couple of shopping centres about 7km from the hotel where most of the popular fast food franchises are to be found. Sandton is about 25km away for some decent shopping. Its a decent hotel that deserves its popularity, but needs to improve on restaurant service and servicing of room air-cons.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded March 7, 2013

Dear gpk111

Thank you for choosing Protea Hotels once again and for posting a review on TripAdvisor.

I love how you describe the outside deck by the restaurant and the koi fish that helped you to relax. Offering hearty and memorable lunches are exactly what the TEAM strives for every day.

Thank you for mentioning the concerns you had with the corridors in the morning. I have already spoken with the TEAM and we will definitely ensure that there is more fresh air flowing in from the early morning. I apologise that your air conditioner was not fixed correctly; we do have weekly maintenance schedules for all units and I will look into this further.

I am aware of the issues you raised in the restaurant and I have implemented an intensive training program to increase the service levels. I am very confident that issues raised will be corrected soon in order for us for us to ensure we’re offering the best GUEST service.

I am really glad that our Wi-Fi access was helpful during your business trip as well as our convenient location.

Please email gm@phmidrand.co.za to get in touch with me directly. We look forward to your next visit and, whilst you are here, please pop in and say Hi.

Reviewed March 3, 2013 via mobile

Great convenient hotel especially if business meeting is in Midrand. However room rate is high compared to what is available in Sandton. Room is basic and OK. Service at Breakfast requires improvement. Will possibly stay in Sandton the next time which will require earlier travel time to Midrand.

• Stayed: February 2013
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded March 4, 2013

Dear Shmsy

Our location, with easy access to the highway and nearby the business district is a huge plus and I am so happy that it benefitted you during your trip.

I am extremely saddened to hear that the service standards in the restaurant failed to impress you during your stay. We not only aim to meet GUEST expectations, but exceed them as well and this was not your experience. We are currently going through an intensive training program with all STAFF and this will be an ongoing process until we are satisfied with the results.

Your feedback is welcomed and I know that our TEAM strives to achieve only the best.

I am confident that when you next visit Midrand you will be pleasantly surprised. I look forward to hosting you again.

Reviewed February 25, 2013

This is a place to be, would recommend it to anyone be it for business or holiday. It is really customer centred.
Besides neatness all over the place there is enough security to ensure your pleasant stay without fear. Whatever I requested was delivered on time with the help of the front desk. I would definately comeback with family next time around.

• Stayed: February 2013
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded February 26, 2013

Dear SabsEastLondon

What fabulous feedback! We strive to offer the best experience to all our GUESTS to ensure they have positive memories like yours.

Thank you for picking up on our attention to detail with regards to the neatness and security. Anything that we can do to make a GUESTS stay as comfortable as possible will be done. This is evident in your interactions with the helpful front desk STAFF and the service delivery you received. My congratulations will definitely be expressed to the TEAM.

Your recommendation is appreciated and the TEAM really looks forward to welcoming you back next time with your family. Please contact me directly at gm@phmidrand.co.za should you need any assistance.

Thank you for your review on TripAdvisor and travel safe.

Reviewed February 21, 2013

Once again a great place to stay. Central location, easy to reach and this year they gave me a birthday cake!

The rooms are comfortable but not flashy. The staff, especially Ashika in reception, Frank in the Bellman role and Abel in the bar, are excellent.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded February 25, 2013

Dear KhanhSean

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again! We are delighted by the awesome review you posted on TripAdvisor.

We like to do things differently and have a little fun at Protea Hotel Midrand; your birthday cake is a little something from the TEAM to say Happy Birthday!

It was an absolute pleasure reading your feedback and I am touched to hear that the STAFF made such positive and personal impressions during your stay. Ashika, Frank and Abel will all be congratulated on their efforts.

There is no doubt that the comfortable rooms and central location are part of the wonderful package that is Protea Hotel Midrand and we hope to welcome you back soon.

Reviewed February 16, 2013

I stayed here for 2 weeks on business. If it was my choice I would not have stayed here but the location was convenient for work.
The service in the bar and restaurant is abismal to say the least, waiters wandering around with no intent on serving you, it's hard to get their attention even to pay the bill. I had to get my room key card re coded every second day as I kept getting locked out of my room. The breakfast and dinner buffets are way overpriced , even though it was on my companies account I felt guilty using the buffet for breakfast because of the price. Overall service is poor they need to retrain their service staff. On a good note I could not fault the cleaning staff, my room was always very clean.

• Stayed: February 2013
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded February 18, 2013

Dear Mococ

I am extremely disappointed to hear of your experiences; however, I would like to thank you for communicating your feedback with us as this is the only way for us to improve.

On behalf of the TEAM I would like to apologise that our service standards did not meet your requirements or expectations. As offering the best GUEST service is of the utmost importance at Protea Hotels, I can assure you that all efforts will be spent on training to ensure that the levels of service improve immediately. I have no doubt that the TEAM is capable of delivering exceptional quality as previous GUEST reviews affirm that we can.

Thank you once again and I hope to have the opportunity of welcoming you back on your next business trip to show you we have improved. Should you wish to discuss this further, please contact me at gm@phmidrand.co.za.

Protea Hotel Midrand

Also consider these accommodations in or near Midrand
Premier Hotel Midrand
#36 of 66 in Johannesburg
The Gallagher Hotel
The Gallagher Hotel
#5 of 10 in Midrand

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand? Share your experiences!