“Conveniently placed”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand
Ranked #2 of 9 Hotels in Midrand
Reviewed January 27, 2013

This is the 2nd time I have stated here on business in the last 2 years. I usually come to SA once a year and our offices are just the other side of the N1, so it is very convenient for my needs. The rooms are very comfortable and the air con worked well as it was quite hot at night. The restaurant was good with a wide selection of food. I only had breakfast once, as it was very expensive at R155.

Stayed: January 2013, traveled on business
ProteaHotels, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded January 28, 2013

Dear PJY2010

Thank you for choosing to stay with us again and I am delighted that we were successful in providing a stay worthy of the best rating.

Providing businessmen with a convenient and comfortable location is important to us, and your experience is testament to our offering.

Midrand can get quite humid in the summer and I am happy that your sleep was not affected thanks to the air-conditioning provided.

I hope you had a safe trip home and please pop in to say hi when you return next year.

Reviewed November 28, 2012

I stayed for four nights at the Protea Midrand in November 2012. The hotel is comfortable and very clean. The air conditioning worked well and the free wi-fi was OK for my needs although sometimes the signal disappeared and you do have to pay if you go over a certain daily limit, which I didn't, just looking at e-mails every day. The TV was good with Sky News and BBC Entertainment plus some local South African channels that were very watchable. The magnetic key card for my room seemed to lose its memory every time I went out (possibly by being too close to a phone or a handbag magnetic clasp) so I had to ask Reception to 'recharge' it every time I went back.

I thought that the breakfast and the food served in the restaurant was very good although some dishes weren't exactly what we were expecting - it helps if you like surprises. The weakness of the Rand however makes it feel extremely good value to visiting Brits. This was just as well as you couldn't just walk out of the hotel and find an alternative restaurant or shops - there was nothing nearby if you had no car. However the location was good for me as I needed to get to the Gallagher convention centre, Johannesburg and Pretoria for meetings and (apart from the Johannesburg traffic) it was well positioned for this. .

The layout of the hotel is strange and a bit confusing with staircases going up and down everywhere. These are difficult to negotiate with heavy bags and would be a problem for people with poor mobility as there were no lifts. Also, you do need to take a minute to make sure that you're fully aware of the fire escape route from your room as it certainly won't be in a straight line! A few more signs would be helpful (speaking as a risk professional!)

I managed to leave my credit card at Reception when checking out but when I arrived home there was an e-mail from the hotel telling me this, so I could cancel it without any problems. I was very happy with this thoughtful service.

Room Tip: If you have limited mobility ask specifically for a room that you don't need to use stairs to ac...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded November 29, 2012

Dear WilliamsFamilyUk

Thank you for your delightful review on TripAdvisor.

Providing a central location for GUESTS and business executives alike is very important to us and we are pleased that you were able to get to your meetings in the area. On top of that, it always helps to come back to a clean and comfortable room to watch a bit of television and relax after a long day at the office.

I will applaud my awesome TEAM on their thoughtful service and I hope that you sorted everything out with your credit card.

I apologise if the hotel layout was not as clear as you would have wished, however I hope that your enjoyment of the restaurant and other facilities made up for it all.

Please be sure to visit us on your next business trip to South Africa.

Reviewed November 24, 2012

Very mixed feelings about this place. Naff rooms and zero sound insulation room-to-room. Rooms and room corridors feel like a 70s hostel in design and quality. Staff are helpful and friendly. Food is generally good and the pool/garden/terrace is a delight. Feels like it was put together by two totally unrelated teams with uncorrelated budgets.

Room Tip: facing in to the garden side much nicer than facing out to road side
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
AnchenHaupt, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded November 26, 2012

Dear 5marh1

Thank you for you compliments about the helpful and friendly STAFF. I am pleased to hear that you enjoyed the gardens and terrace so much.

I would like to apologise for your disappointment with the corridors and the room. We are in the process of beginning transitional soft upgrades to the rooms as well as the carpets and passages over the next while.

I hope that on your next visit from the United Kingdom you are able to visit us and I can show you some of the upgrades.

Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in October based on a recommendation from a business nearby. The hotel was very nice for business and worked out well for my three night stay. The staff was very friendly and happy to assist me with any questions or problems I had. The room was spacious and clean. The gym also was spacious and clean and provided a view of the surrounding area. The hotel felt safe and secure, it was a little strange to see the electric fence and barb wire around the place, but I guess that is a necessary evil in Johannesburg.
I had one issue with the transport company which is an outside contractor to the hotel. The General Manager, Tania Malan, stepped in and resolved the issues quickly and credited the bill for the transports that did not arrive on time. I was impressed with Tania and how she runs her operation. She even made a point to check in with me each time she saw me, whether it was at Breakfast, sitting by the pool or later in the evening at the bar. She works long hours and you can tell she really cares about treating the customer right.
The wait staff in the restaurant and bar was also very friendly, polite and happy to answer questions. Being this was my first stay at a Protea hotel and in Johannesburg, I had many questions and wanted to experience some authentic African products. Phillip and Innocence (two of our wait staff) were happy to recommend dishes and drinks that were from South Africa.
The breakfast buffet was very well put together and had many offerings including custom made omelets each morning. The selection of fruits, juices, cereal and muffins was excellent and allowed me to skip lunch all three days.
Overall the experience at the Protea hotel was very nice. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling and doing business in the Midrand area. The location is close to the airport and to many businesses.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HeatherPoulsen, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Travelqueen8882

Your response on TripAdvisor brought only one thought to mind – “Wow”. It is always great to see that GUESTS have enjoyed their stay with us and that the whole TEAM played a role in showing you true Protea Hospitality.

The STAFF, the breakfast display and the swimming pool are all waiting eagerly for your return.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a business traveller, i dont expect much but do mind that the hotel is so complex and if you do not watch where you are all the time, can easily get lost. Would also help if there was a lift as carrying 3 bags up down staircases is not great fun...or how about offering assistance at checkin. How is that for an idea?

Room Tip: if you are in Midrand, rather stay at a b&b.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
PH-Midrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear RH

I am deeply saddened to have received your review finding our Hotel unsuitable to your specific needs. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the fact that you were not assisted with your luggage upon check-in. This is definitely a service that we do offer and we will most certainly investigate as to why this did not happen. As your feedback is extremely important to us we would appreciate it if you could allow us another opportunity to offer you the excellent service that this hotel is renowned for. Being a discerning business traveller it would be appreciated if you could contact me in order for us to ascertain what we can do, within our means, to meet your specific needs.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Reviewed October 6, 2012

very nice hotel and beautiful gardens with pool. Riooms are clean and hold high standards. I found reception staff to be professional and helpful at all times.

Good bar area, where we enjoyed some nice beers at night. Breakfast was a bit disappointing though, heavy and not too fresh. I seem to recall very bad ventilation in the breakfast room with frying smell lying heavily all over the room and eating areas.

Recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
PH-Midrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Morris2002

What a delight to receive so many compliments regarding our pride and joy, the Protea Hotel Midrand. I do trust that you will return soon in order for us to even better on this previous stay! Your comments regarding the breakfast room have been discussed and the TEAM and I implemented more healthier options on the buffet and investigated ways on how the circulation in the room can be improved upon. I am sure that with your next visit to the Hotel the improvement will already be evident.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Tania

Reviewed August 25, 2012

really liked this hotel. Staff very friendly very comfortable beds and finishes in the room. Lovely decor throughout out hotel. Super pool and outside area very well kept. Trendy design and just a really nice place to stay. My one complaint is the outside service was slow and poor. We did wait a long time for service and had to keep finding someone to refill drinks and bring bill. No big deal but would have been a better service to pay more attention to the clients outside. Overall safe bet and you will enjoy this Hotel. The spa as advertised has closed down was a bit sad as my business partner and I were looking forward to some pampering so if you going for spa break Be Aware there is not one.

Room Tip: Have no suggestion
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
PH-Midrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Mr Hemming

Wow, thank you so much for giving us 5*'s! We are extremely proud to receive such a brilliant comment and glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!
Your feedback regarding the slow service has been addressed with the relevant STAFF and I am happy to report that with Summer in the air and the terrace fantastically busy the improvement is alreay noticeable and our patrons extremely happy. I am also excited to report that we will re-open our the Spa within the next few weeks, with a much better selection of treatments and equipment that was previously on offer, with extended operating hours for our GUESTS delight!
I do hope that you will be visiting us soon to come and experience the splendour of the Protea Hotel Midrand! Please let me know in order for me to arrange a special Spa package just for you!

Tania Malan

Also consider these accommodations in or near Midrand
Premier Hotel Midrand
The Gallagher Hotel
#4 of 9 in Midrand
Midrand Conference Centre
Mercure Johannesburg Midrand Hotel

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand? Share your experiences!