Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand
Priceline
Free cancellation until 06/02
$100
TripAdvisor
Villa Via - Midrand(Greater Johannesburg)
$61
$41
  • Breakfast included
Free cancellation until 06/02
$113
SUN1 Midrand(Midrand)
TripAdvisor
All reviewstransport desknice business hotelcamelot spafelt safe and securepond watermorning buffetbar menua number of occasionsclean roomsnice stayshort staybar fridgejohannesburgrevampconferenceproximitysetup
Reviewed November 13, 2012

I stayed at this hotel in October based on a recommendation from a business nearby. The hotel was very nice for business and worked out well for my three night stay. The staff was very friendly and happy to assist me with any questions or problems I had. The room was spacious and clean. The gym also was spacious and clean and provided a view of the surrounding area. The hotel felt safe and secure, it was a little strange to see the electric fence and barb wire around the place, but I guess that is a necessary evil in Johannesburg.
I had one issue with the transport company which is an outside contractor to the hotel. The General Manager, Tania Malan, stepped in and resolved the issues quickly and credited the bill for the transports that did not arrive on time. I was impressed with Tania and how she runs her operation. She even made a point to check in with me each time she saw me, whether it was at Breakfast, sitting by the pool or later in the evening at the bar. She works long hours and you can tell she really cares about treating the customer right.
The wait staff in the restaurant and bar was also very friendly, polite and happy to answer questions. Being this was my first stay at a Protea hotel and in Johannesburg, I had many questions and wanted to experience some authentic African products. Phillip and Innocence (two of our wait staff) were happy to recommend dishes and drinks that were from South Africa.
The breakfast buffet was very well put together and had many offerings including custom made omelets each morning. The selection of fruits, juices, cereal and muffins was excellent and allowed me to skip lunch all three days.
Overall the experience at the Protea hotel was very nice. I would recommend this hotel to anyone traveling and doing business in the Midrand area. The location is close to the airport and to many businesses.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
HeatherPoulsen, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded November 16, 2012

Dear Travelqueen8882

Your response on TripAdvisor brought only one thought to mind – “Wow”. It is always great to see that GUESTS have enjoyed their stay with us and that the whole TEAM played a role in showing you true Protea Hospitality.

The STAFF, the breakfast display and the swimming pool are all waiting eagerly for your return.

Kind Regards
Protea Hotel Midrand

Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a business traveller, i dont expect much but do mind that the hotel is so complex and if you do not watch where you are all the time, can easily get lost. Would also help if there was a lift as carrying 3 bags up down staircases is not great fun...or how about offering assistance at checkin. How is that for an idea?

Room Tip: if you are in Midrand, rather stay at a b&b.
  • Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
PH-Midrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Dear RH

I am deeply saddened to have received your review finding our Hotel unsuitable to your specific needs. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the fact that you were not assisted with your luggage upon check-in. This is definitely a service that we do offer and we will most certainly investigate as to why this did not happen. As your feedback is extremely important to us we would appreciate it if you could allow us another opportunity to offer you the excellent service that this hotel is renowned for. Being a discerning business traveller it would be appreciated if you could contact me in order for us to ascertain what we can do, within our means, to meet your specific needs.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Protea Hotel Midrand

Reviewed October 6, 2012

very nice hotel and beautiful gardens with pool. Riooms are clean and hold high standards. I found reception staff to be professional and helpful at all times.

Good bar area, where we enjoyed some nice beers at night. Breakfast was a bit disappointing though, heavy and not too fresh. I seem to recall very bad ventilation in the breakfast room with frying smell lying heavily all over the room and eating areas.

Recommended.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
PH-Midrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded October 31, 2012

Dear Morris2002

What a delight to receive so many compliments regarding our pride and joy, the Protea Hotel Midrand. I do trust that you will return soon in order for us to even better on this previous stay! Your comments regarding the breakfast room have been discussed and the TEAM and I implemented more healthier options on the buffet and investigated ways on how the circulation in the room can be improved upon. I am sure that with your next visit to the Hotel the improvement will already be evident.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Tania

Reviewed August 25, 2012

really liked this hotel. Staff very friendly very comfortable beds and finishes in the room. Lovely decor throughout out hotel. Super pool and outside area very well kept. Trendy design and just a really nice place to stay. My one complaint is the outside service was slow and poor. We did wait a long time for service and had to keep finding someone to refill drinks and bring bill. No big deal but would have been a better service to pay more attention to the clients outside. Overall safe bet and you will enjoy this Hotel. The spa as advertised has closed down was a bit sad as my business partner and I were looking forward to some pampering so if you going for spa break Be Aware there is not one.

Room Tip: Have no suggestion
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
PH-Midrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this reviewResponded August 30, 2012

Dear Mr Hemming

Wow, thank you so much for giving us 5*'s! We are extremely proud to receive such a brilliant comment and glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!
Your feedback regarding the slow service has been addressed with the relevant STAFF and I am happy to report that with Summer in the air and the terrace fantastically busy the improvement is alreay noticeable and our patrons extremely happy. I am also excited to report that we will re-open our the Spa within the next few weeks, with a much better selection of treatments and equipment that was previously on offer, with extended operating hours for our GUESTS delight!
I do hope that you will be visiting us soon to come and experience the splendour of the Protea Hotel Midrand! Please let me know in order for me to arrange a special Spa package just for you!

Reviewed July 22, 2012

Firstly I would like to thank Bheki for his service and worm attiude for everyone. He is one of the friendliest cheif barmen I ever introduced to. Moreover, the hotel team is very friendly and eager to help every time with a good smile. I had stayed during 13-19 july. I was welcomed very well. The price and service is very good accorind to other hotel despite I had to work during the period it was a relaxing time for me. the negative thing about the hotel is airconditions are old and not clean so I did my best to not use it too much. moreover, try to use the taxi of the hotel because it is safer. I recommend this hotel for everyone. Morever, you can go to see lion park and Mandila square.

• Stayed: July 2012, traveled on business