“Leaves much to be desired”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Midrand
Cape Town Central, South Africa
“Leaves much to be desired”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 5, 2012

As a business traveller, i dont expect much but do mind that the hotel is so complex and if you do not watch where you are all the time, can easily get lost. Would also help if there was a lift as carrying 3 bags up down staircases is not great fun...or how about offering assistance at checkin. How is that for an idea?

Room Tip: if you are in Midrand, rather stay at a b&b.
  • Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
PH-Midrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, November 6, 2012
Dear RH

I am deeply saddened to have received your review finding our Hotel unsuitable to your specific needs. Please accept my sincerest apologies for the fact that you were not assisted with your luggage upon check-in. This is definitely a service that we do offer and we will most certainly investigate as to why this did not happen. As your feedback is extremely important to us we would appreciate it if you could allow us another opportunity to offer you the excellent service that this hotel is renowned for. Being a discerning business traveller it would be appreciated if you could contact me in order for us to ascertain what we can do, within our means, to meet your specific needs.

Looking forward to hearing from you!

Protea Hotel Midrand

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (47)
Stockholm, Sweden
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 6, 2012

very nice hotel and beautiful gardens with pool. Riooms are clean and hold high standards. I found reception staff to be professional and helpful at all times.

Good bar area, where we enjoyed some nice beers at night. Breakfast was a bit disappointing though, heavy and not too fresh. I seem to recall very bad ventilation in the breakfast room with frying smell lying heavily all over the room and eating areas.

Recommended.

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
PH-Midrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, October 31, 2012
Dear Morris2002

What a delight to receive so many compliments regarding our pride and joy, the Protea Hotel Midrand. I do trust that you will return soon in order for us to even better on this previous stay! Your comments regarding the breakfast room have been discussed and the TEAM and I implemented more healthier options on the buffet and investigated ways on how the circulation in the room can be improved upon. I am sure that with your next visit to the Hotel the improvement will already be evident.

We hope to welcome you back soon!

Tania
Neil Hemming
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed August 25, 2012

really liked this hotel. Staff very friendly very comfortable beds and finishes in the room. Lovely decor throughout out hotel. Super pool and outside area very well kept. Trendy design and just a really nice place to stay. My one complaint is the outside service was slow and poor. We did wait a long time for service and had to keep finding someone to refill drinks and bring bill. No big deal but would have been a better service to pay more attention to the clients outside. Overall safe bet and you will enjoy this Hotel. The spa as advertised has closed down was a bit sad as my business partner and I were looking forward to some pampering so if you going for spa break Be Aware there is not one.

Room Tip: Have no suggestion
  • Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
PH-Midrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, August 30, 2012
Dear Mr Hemming

Wow, thank you so much for giving us 5*'s! We are extremely proud to receive such a brilliant comment and glad that you enjoyed your stay with us!
Your feedback regarding the slow service has been addressed with the relevant STAFF and I am happy to report that with Summer in the air and the terrace fantastically busy the improvement is alreay noticeable and our patrons extremely happy. I am also excited to report that we will re-open our the Spa within the next few weeks, with a much better selection of treatments and equipment that was previously on offer, with extended operating hours for our GUESTS delight!
I do hope that you will be visiting us soon to come and experience the splendour of the Protea Hotel Midrand! Please let me know in order for me to arrange a special Spa package just for you!

Ankara, Turkey
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 22, 2012

Firstly I would like to thank Bheki for his service and worm attiude for everyone. He is one of the friendliest cheif barmen I ever introduced to. Moreover, the hotel team is very friendly and eager to help every time with a good smile. I had stayed during 13-19 july. I was welcomed very well. The price and service is very good accorind to other hotel despite I had to work during the period it was a relaxing time for me. the negative thing about the hotel is airconditions are old and not clean so I did my best to not use it too much. moreover, try to use the taxi of the hotel because it is safer. I recommend this hotel for everyone. Morever, you can go to see lion park and Mandila square.

• Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hotel is nice, calm and a very quiet atmosphere. They do offer free 100mb of internet per day which is good if you only look at the 1st 2 or 3 lines of email, in this day and age 100mb is hardly heard of. They do have paid packages but i found them to be exponentially high compared to where we live.
The Protea group itself is a regional chain and have lot's of porperties in Africa, I specifically chose this one because of its proximity to our regional office in Midrand.
Btw, the food at the hotel is to 'die for'. My heartiest congrats to the chef and to his daily specialls which i had on all 3 nights i stayed there.
All in all a good place to stay for a few days.

Room Tip: I would suggest to ask for an upgrade to a Deluxe rather than the normal rooms, more 'Space'
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Dilup

At the outset thank you for the amazing response about the food and service at the Hotel! You can certainly be assured that the Executive Chef, Brett and his remarkable TEAM of chefs will receive a well done and a good show guys from all! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the meals so much!

Your suggestions regarding the amount of internet available is certainly a point to consider and I am certain that we wiill take your comments into consideration in order to find the best solutions to offer to our GUESTS within the near future!

Trust it will not be too long before your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Kind regards

Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed July 12, 2012

I was at this hotel on 18 June 2012. The location of the hotel is good but I was dissappointed about the lighting, it is very poor for a verson like me with low eyesight. I struggled to fing the main entrance when I arrived around 18H30, the reception also is dimly-light. by the rooms there suppose to be a main bright light but there isn't ant. The other area I struggled is the dining area, The area (table) with food was so dark that I even requested on of the waitresses that the lighting was at it's highest and she said yes, I asked her for some form of lighting assistance but she vanished into thin air.

While I was there the there was no hot water (just think in the middle of winter), I did perservere with that but to my amazement the aircon was not emitting hot air, that's when I acted by calling the maintanance section who took their time trying some adjustments while I was freezing after a cold bath. After about 20 minutes the arranged another room of which was warm and with hot water.

I liked the technology about switching on/off lights device by the side of the bed but that requires some orientation.

I was dissapointed by these standards at a Protea hotel and it was a first Protea hotel that did not have the PROTEA HOTEL high standard among the ones I visited.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boo-ngane
PH-Midrand, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Boo-Ngane

Please allow us the opportunity to apologize for the fact that the Hotel’s lightning as well as the service in the restaurant failed to meet your required standards whilst staying at our establishment. The fact that the air conditioner in your room was faulty and that you had no hot water is definitely unacceptable! I would like to assure you that this is not the level of service that we would normally offer to valued GUESTS like yourself.

Be assured that your comments have been addressed and we are currently investigating different methods on how we can improve our facilities to ensure that each and every GUEST, regardless of their personal challenges, has a pleasant and memorable experience every time they stay with us.

I would like to request that you contact me personally prior to your next visit to assist me in ensuring that your next stay with us is most enjoyable!

Looking forward to be hosting you within the near future!

Kind regards
Gail Fredericks
GUEST Relations Manager
Edenvale, South Africa
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed June 27, 2012

I came to the hotel to meet business associates and while I was early, I decided to have breakfast. What struck me most was that the staff were courteous and the buffet serving was fresh. Well done to De Villiers and his team!

By the way, the coffee was excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Bruce P

I am delighted to read your mail and so glad that you took the opportunity to have breakfast with us. The Protea Hotel Midrand offers the PERFECT cup of coffee! Thank you for taking the time to write your comments! I am very proud to boast such an excellent TEAM and will ensure that all see your positive response!

Looking forward to offering you that next cup of coffee soon!

Regards

Tania Malan
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midrand
Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand Samrand
#38 of 68 in Johannesburg
The Gallagher Hotel
The Gallagher Hotel
#6 of 10 in Midrand

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand? Share your experiences!