“Good Hotel for a very short stay”

Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand
Ranked #2 of 10 Hotels in Midrand
Dubai, United Arab Emirates
“Good Hotel for a very short stay”
Reviewed July 15, 2012

The hotel is nice, calm and a very quiet atmosphere. They do offer free 100mb of internet per day which is good if you only look at the 1st 2 or 3 lines of email, in this day and age 100mb is hardly heard of. They do have paid packages but i found them to be exponentially high compared to where we live.
The Protea group itself is a regional chain and have lot's of porperties in Africa, I specifically chose this one because of its proximity to our regional office in Midrand.
Btw, the food at the hotel is to 'die for'. My heartiest congrats to the chef and to his daily specialls which i had on all 3 nights i stayed there.
All in all a good place to stay for a few days.

Room Tip: I would suggest to ask for an upgrade to a Deluxe rather than the normal rooms, more 'Space'
  • Stayed July 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, July 16, 2012
Dear Dilup

At the outset thank you for the amazing response about the food and service at the Hotel! You can certainly be assured that the Executive Chef, Brett and his remarkable TEAM of chefs will receive a well done and a good show guys from all! I am delighted to hear that you enjoyed the meals so much!

Your suggestions regarding the amount of internet available is certainly a point to consider and I am certain that we wiill take your comments into consideration in order to find the best solutions to offer to our GUESTS within the near future!

Trust it will not be too long before your next visit. We look forward to welcoming you back!

Kind regards

Tania Malan

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (50)
Pretoria, Gauteng, South Africa
Reviewed July 12, 2012

I was at this hotel on 18 June 2012. The location of the hotel is good but I was dissappointed about the lighting, it is very poor for a verson like me with low eyesight. I struggled to fing the main entrance when I arrived around 18H30, the reception also is dimly-light. by the rooms there suppose to be a main bright light but there isn't ant. The other area I struggled is the dining area, The area (table) with food was so dark that I even requested on of the waitresses that the lighting was at it's highest and she said yes, I asked her for some form of lighting assistance but she vanished into thin air.

While I was there the there was no hot water (just think in the middle of winter), I did perservere with that but to my amazement the aircon was not emitting hot air, that's when I acted by calling the maintanance section who took their time trying some adjustments while I was freezing after a cold bath. After about 20 minutes the arranged another room of which was warm and with hot water.

I liked the technology about switching on/off lights device by the side of the bed but that requires some orientation.

I was dissapointed by these standards at a Protea hotel and it was a first Protea hotel that did not have the PROTEA HOTEL high standard among the ones I visited.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Boo-ngane
PH-Midrand, Guest Relations Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, July 17, 2012
Dear Boo-Ngane

Please allow us the opportunity to apologize for the fact that the Hotel’s lightning as well as the service in the restaurant failed to meet your required standards whilst staying at our establishment. The fact that the air conditioner in your room was faulty and that you had no hot water is definitely unacceptable! I would like to assure you that this is not the level of service that we would normally offer to valued GUESTS like yourself.

Be assured that your comments have been addressed and we are currently investigating different methods on how we can improve our facilities to ensure that each and every GUEST, regardless of their personal challenges, has a pleasant and memorable experience every time they stay with us.

I would like to request that you contact me personally prior to your next visit to assist me in ensuring that your next stay with us is most enjoyable!

Looking forward to be hosting you within the near future!

Kind regards
Gail Fredericks
GUEST Relations Manager
Edenvale, South Africa
Reviewed June 27, 2012

I came to the hotel to meet business associates and while I was early, I decided to have breakfast. What struck me most was that the staff were courteous and the buffet serving was fresh. Well done to De Villiers and his team!

By the way, the coffee was excellent.

• Stayed June 2012, traveled on business
, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, June 28, 2012
Dear Bruce P

I am delighted to read your mail and so glad that you took the opportunity to have breakfast with us. The Protea Hotel Midrand offers the PERFECT cup of coffee! Thank you for taking the time to write your comments! I am very proud to boast such an excellent TEAM and will ensure that all see your positive response!

Looking forward to offering you that next cup of coffee soon!

Regards

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed May 25, 2012

An absolutely fabulous "business" hotel neatly parked just off the N1 between Johannesburg and Pretoria - very easy to get to and despite the proximity of the freeway, surprisingly quiet - the hotel is low and spread out (two floors, not your typical hotel block!) with a most pleasant courtyard style garden and pond/water feature, and is a friendly oasis in the midst of otherwise fairly barren surroundings - the staff are exceptionally friendly and helpful, the rooms are very comfortable and the bar/restaurant offer a good selection of food and drink. My one minor peeve is the charges for wireless internet in the rooms - excellent bandwidth and you get 100Mb free (which is probably fine for many people, but an issue for bandwidth hogs like myself working from the room at times) - above that, the charges are a little expensive for my liking and it would be nice to have the option to buy an "unlimited internet access package" as you can in many other hotels of a similar standard in the area. Nevertheless, the hotel was excellent value for money and I thoroughly enjoyed my stay - I shall return! :-)

• Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
PH-Midrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, May 29, 2012
Dear GUEST

At the outset I would like to thank you for your wonderful words of praise about our stunning Hotel. Your comments will be used as motivation for me and my excellent TEAM to continuously strive to better the service on offer to perfection.

Your suggestion regarding the cost of internet will be given through to our Internet supplier for consideration.

We trust that it will not be too long before your next visit as we look forward to another opportunity to offer hospitality in true South African tradition!

With great appreciation!

Cape Town Central, South Africa
Reviewed April 17, 2012

I made the mistake of using the telephone in my room. I figured it couldn't be much more than a cell phone call. I made a 28 minute call, off peak and to a national landline. At standard rates the call should have cost me R8. Add some infrastructure usage and a profit margin and anything up to R60 is acceptable. So I was horrified when, on checkout, I was charged R343.

The rates are not advertised in the information booklet in the room.

I complained and Protea offered me a 20% refund, or R70. When you have been charged about R300 more than you should have, R70 is little consolation. So I declined and demanded a proper refund. They never got back to me.

I was paying a premium price to stay in their hotel. I expected to be treated like a guest, not a targeted as a victim. Such underhanded skulduggery is the work of criminals, not companies who are sincere in their desire to make customers smile.

The bath also leaked and the faucet was difficult to understand and operate.

Change your ways Protea

• Stayed March 2012, traveled on business
3 Thank Peter W

Travelers are raving about these Midrand hotels

Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed April 16, 2012

I stayed at this hotel because of meetings in Midrand and I was a bit worried about the surroundings (very industrial and bare). However, this impression disappears as soon as you cross the entrance guest. The Protea staff is very nice and helpful and the room are exactly as they should be: comfortable and clean. The garden is also very nice.
Two minor irritations: no flex for the shower and a very awkwardly placed shower head which involved some contorsions and the staff tend to speak very loudly in the corridors
I recommend this hotel if you have business in Midrand

• Stayed April 2012, traveled on business
PH-Midrand, General Manager at Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand, responded to this review, April 18, 2012
Dear LisaK

At the outset I would like to thank you for the wonderful comments posted about the Protea Hotel Midrand after your recent stay.

We pride ourselves in offering a superior product and we are delighted to have learned that you enjoyed your time thoroughly. We trust and hope that we can become your home away from home for all your future travels to Midrand.

Your comments regarding the shower and STAFF making noise have been taken up with the relevant departments and will receive the necessary remedial action to improve the service and facilities where possible on offer.

I trust it will not be too long before your next stay. Looking forward to welcoming you back as our valued GUEST.

Dallas
Reviewed March 26, 2012

I wrote a previous review where I rated the hotel as poor. My rating and review were entered during my stay in January As a follow-up, I need to say that the hotel did respond gaciously to my issues and corrected them during that stay, so I am improving my rating, and I am back for a second stay. I think some improvements could still be made, but I would now recommend the hotel. The hotel manager's written reply that follows my rating in Tripadvisor is accurate.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midrand
Premier Hotel Midrand
City Lodge Hotel Waterfall City
Mercure Johannesburg Midrand
Mercure Johannesburg Midrand
#38 of 67 in Johannesburg

Been to Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand? Share your experiences!