“Not very clean bed sheets”

Midrand Conference Centre
Ranked #7 of 10 Hotels in Midrand
Buenos Aires, Argentina
“Not very clean bed sheets”
Reviewed June 12, 2013

The compound is really very attractive. I was accommodated twice. Once for 10 days and 6 months later for 2 nights. The rooms are spacious unlike other hotels in the area. The swimming pool and adjacent gardens are very pleasant. Breakfast is regular but the big tables you have to share with 6 others are very annoying. The main problem is the bed sheets. Once upon a time they were seemingly white in color but they had turned grey by the time I was there. And the material was pretty exhausted too. The TV is a very old model and the selection of channels rather reduced. The 2 rooms I occupied had dreadful views towards the building roof and a window to the corridor. I had to keep the curtains closed all the time.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Kaylene W, Manager at Midrand Conference Centre, responded to this review, August 7, 2013
Dear Lola
Thank you so much for taking the time to review your stay with us recently and for your kind comments on our attractive village, beautiful gardens, pool and the spaciousness of the room in which you stayed,

I also value the points you highlighted that you felt need attention. We are very flexible and will always do everything we can to accommodate our guest's needs so please let us know when you book with us next time that you prefer not to dine at a long table at breakfast and your preference for a room with a view. We have started upgrading our TV's and already have a number of rooms with new LED screens - this process will take time but again we can try to ensure you get one of these rooms.

I will investigate the DSTV bouquet issue and our first step will be to conduct research on our guest preferences and will adjust accordingly so please let us know your preferences regarding channels. Finally and most disturbing of all was your note about the sheets. We replaced all our old bed linen recently and removed the former from our property. We do have strict controls regarding linen checks but as a result of your comment, we are reviewing our procedures.

Thank you once again for your feed back and we look forward to welcoming you back
Midrand Conference Centre

Solo
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (13)
Cape Town
Reviewed April 17, 2013

I stayed here for one night as i had training onsite the following day. It was extremely convenient and the staff were very helpful, nothing was too much trouble, even the additional milk and tea bags i asked for!
On the day of the conference there was somebody round all the time to ensure that what ever i needed was attended to.
Great place for training, good food, and really nice bed and breakfast, with excellent buffet breakfast!
Thank you!!

Room Tip: Away from reception as they are abit noisy!
  • Stayed April 2013, traveled on business
1 Thank sooziecapetown
Kaylene W, General Manager at Midrand Conference Centre, responded to this review, March 6, 2014
Hi Soozie
Thank you so very much for taking the time and trouble to express your appreciation of the convenience, great service and good food we offer our clients. You share the views of so many of our clients.

I look forward to welcoming you back this year.
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a two day confrence at this venue. We stayed in the accomodation which is part of the confrence centre. The confrence room was fine but the accomodation. The meals were provided in rooms in which the Airconditioners dod not work very well. The quality of the food was not of a high standard. The bar service was very very poor

Room Tip: Try getting a room which not on the street side - too much light comming through blinds
  • Stayed February 2013, traveled on business

Travelers are raving about these Midrand hotels

Port Elizabeth, South Africa
Reviewed February 20, 2013

After three years of staying at disappointing hotels close to Gallagher, I finally discovered something decent. I stayed in one of the rooms in the Orchid House section. The room was spacious with everything I needed. Like JenD_17 my only complaints about the room is that there was no extra lock on the door and no blind to keep the light from shining through the door's window. The room was clean and service excellent. Breakfast wasn't outstanding but I have seen a lot worse in other places. I woudn't stay in the Midrand area while just on holiday, but this spot is ideal when on business at Gallagher. Close enough to leave my car there and walk to the conference centre.

• Stayed February 2013, traveled on business
Kaylene W, General Manager at Midrand Conference Centre, responded to this review, March 14, 2014
Hi
Thank you so much for your very kind words about our guest house accommodation. I must admit Orchid House is one of my favorite guest houses in our village. You will be glad to know that we put up blinds soon after your visit. Next time you book, do let our Reservations Administrator know your breakfast preferences.
switzerland
Reviewed November 7, 2012

This location is a hotel, conference centre and wedding venue. They take good care of the landscape and their different wedding venues and conference rooms.
The organization of the conference was well done.
Catering (Lunch and dinner) was plenty and actually surprisingly good for such big groups.

Accommodation overall however was not great.
Doors are very thin so you hear everything from the hallway. No deadbolt or similar from the inside!
Rooms are rather small, just enough space for one person, it would have been tight for a couple.
Room not clean, found hair at different locations. I suspect they didn’t vacuum the room in between guests.
Bed linen have been exchanged, but they looked worn. Stains and holes indicates it would be time to get new linen…
Old TV set.

On the positive side:
Coffee / Tea maker, bed comfortable, A/C working, window can be opened.
Safe and empty fridge in the room,
Big enough bathroom with “walk in” shower.

WIFI all over the place, but requires password, for which you might pay.

All in all a good venue for conferences, together with a room so you don’t have to travel back and forth. Would not choose nor recommend for accommodation only.

• Stayed August 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Wombelero
Tustin, California
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I booked a room through my corporate travel agent, due to the proximity to the Conference Center, however it was totally inappropriate.

Firstly the room did not have a shower but a very small bath. When they found me a room with a shower it had no phone.

There is no internet access except in the lobby.

When I asked about dinner, I was asked "have I ordered ahead?". Apparently, they have no kitchen and had the food delivered. They offered to order me a take out, but I needed cash to do this. As I had none, they suggested I walk to the nearest Gas Station and withdraw cash from the ATM located there. Not wishing to walk alone in Johannesburg at night to withdraw cash from an ATM I decided to check out and move to a different hotel.

The staff were courteous and tried to help but the hotel just does not meet the needs of a business traveller.

• Stayed October 2012, traveled on business
Cape Town
Reviewed July 24, 2012

2 things stand out here: the decor is really attractive, and the service is very good. The centre is a 'compound', with several guesthouse-style lodgings - in other words, it's not all one hotel. Inside the compound are the different guesthouses, plus conference centre, & lovely garden.

The service was really friendly - in fact, the receptionist ( male who's name I, unfortunately, didn't recall) went out of his way to assist with everything in a courteous manner, remembered my name, when I asked him where the conference area was he actually got up & walked me there (instead of just pointing). I didn't feel he was making the effort in an over the top way, or to get a tip - he was just giving good service.

I stayed in a cosy single room (which has a double bed) in the Orchid House - decor was really attractive Thai style in dark colours (reds, blacks, golds) - different to any other hotel I've stayed at which was nice! Also had a jacuzzi-bath in the room, as well as separate shower/bathroom, which was a little bit on the small side, but was clean & serviceable.

Have 2 smaller issues: 1. There was only an ordinary lock on the door - an extra security chain & bolt or something would have been better. 2. The door has a frosted glass panel - the light from the landing therefore shines into the room at night. I solved this by hanging the long piece of decorative fabric from the bed over the door to cut the light - blinds would be better so if the hotel reads this: get blinds!

Breakfast: not a huge variety of choice, but had everything you needed.

Overall, I would recommend this accomodation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room further away from the stairs - there is a water feature outside & it runs through...
  • Stayed May 2012, traveled on business
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midrand
Premier Hotel Midrand
Mercure Johannesburg Midrand
Mercure Johannesburg Midrand
#38 of 67 in Johannesburg
City Lodge Hotel Waterfall City

Been to Midrand Conference Centre? Share your experiences!