Midrand Conference Centre
Like saving money? We search up to 200 sites for the lowest prices
Villa Via - Midrand(Greater Johannesburg)
SUN1 Midrand(Midrand)
View Hotel
See what travelers are saying:
FilterAll languages
Reviewed February 25, 2013

We had a two day confrence at this venue. We stayed in the accomodation which is part of the confrence centre. The confrence room was fine but the accomodation. The meals were provided in rooms in which the Airconditioners dod not work very well. The quality of the food was not of a high standard. The bar service was very very poor

Room Tip: Try getting a room which not on the street side - too much light comming through blinds
  • Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Reviewed February 20, 2013

After three years of staying at disappointing hotels close to Gallagher, I finally discovered something decent. I stayed in one of the rooms in the Orchid House section. The room was spacious with everything I needed. Like JenD_17 my only complaints about the room is that there was no extra lock on the door and no blind to keep the light from shining through the door's window. The room was clean and service excellent. Breakfast wasn't outstanding but I have seen a lot worse in other places. I woudn't stay in the Midrand area while just on holiday, but this spot is ideal when on business at Gallagher. Close enough to leave my car there and walk to the conference centre.

• Stayed: February 2013, traveled on business
Kaylene W, General Manager at Midrand Conference Centre, responded to this reviewResponded March 14, 2014

Hi
Thank you so much for your very kind words about our guest house accommodation. I must admit Orchid House is one of my favorite guest houses in our village. You will be glad to know that we put up blinds soon after your visit. Next time you book, do let our Reservations Administrator know your breakfast preferences.
Kind regards
Kaylene

Reviewed November 7, 2012

This location is a hotel, conference centre and wedding venue. They take good care of the landscape and their different wedding venues and conference rooms.
The organization of the conference was well done.
Catering (Lunch and dinner) was plenty and actually surprisingly good for such big groups.

Accommodation overall however was not great.
Doors are very thin so you hear everything from the hallway. No deadbolt or similar from the inside!
Rooms are rather small, just enough space for one person, it would have been tight for a couple.
Room not clean, found hair at different locations. I suspect they didn’t vacuum the room in between guests.
Bed linen have been exchanged, but they looked worn. Stains and holes indicates it would be time to get new linen…
Old TV set.

On the positive side:
Coffee / Tea maker, bed comfortable, A/C working, window can be opened.
Safe and empty fridge in the room,
Big enough bathroom with “walk in” shower.

WIFI all over the place, but requires password, for which you might pay.

All in all a good venue for conferences, together with a room so you don’t have to travel back and forth. Would not choose nor recommend for accommodation only.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Wombelero
Reviewed October 31, 2012

I booked a room through my corporate travel agent, due to the proximity to the Conference Center, however it was totally inappropriate.

Firstly the room did not have a shower but a very small bath. When they found me a room with a shower it had no phone.

There is no internet access except in the lobby.

When I asked about dinner, I was asked "have I ordered ahead?". Apparently, they have no kitchen and had the food delivered. They offered to order me a take out, but I needed cash to do this. As I had none, they suggested I walk to the nearest Gas Station and withdraw cash from the ATM located there. Not wishing to walk alone in Johannesburg at night to withdraw cash from an ATM I decided to check out and move to a different hotel.

The staff were courteous and tried to help but the hotel just does not meet the needs of a business traveller.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled on business
Reviewed July 24, 2012

2 things stand out here: the decor is really attractive, and the service is very good. The centre is a 'compound', with several guesthouse-style lodgings - in other words, it's not all one hotel. Inside the compound are the different guesthouses, plus conference centre, & lovely garden.

The service was really friendly - in fact, the receptionist ( male who's name I, unfortunately, didn't recall) went out of his way to assist with everything in a courteous manner, remembered my name, when I asked him where the conference area was he actually got up & walked me there (instead of just pointing). I didn't feel he was making the effort in an over the top way, or to get a tip - he was just giving good service.

I stayed in a cosy single room (which has a double bed) in the Orchid House - decor was really attractive Thai style in dark colours (reds, blacks, golds) - different to any other hotel I've stayed at which was nice! Also had a jacuzzi-bath in the room, as well as separate shower/bathroom, which was a little bit on the small side, but was clean & serviceable.

Have 2 smaller issues: 1. There was only an ordinary lock on the door - an extra security chain & bolt or something would have been better. 2. The door has a frosted glass panel - the light from the landing therefore shines into the room at night. I solved this by hanging the long piece of decorative fabric from the bed over the door to cut the light - blinds would be better so if the hotel reads this: get blinds!

Breakfast: not a huge variety of choice, but had everything you needed.

Overall, I would recommend this accomodation.

Room Tip: Ask for a room further away from the stairs - there is a water feature outside & it runs through the night so may irritate you.
  • Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business