“Not so executive”

Ranked #8 of 10 Hotels in Midrand
Port Elizabeth, South Africa
“Not so executive”
Reviewed February 20, 2012

I stayed at the Executive Hotel for 4 days and chose the hotel for its very close proximity to Gallagher Estate. Unfortunately other that that is wasn't much of a joy staying there. The first thing I asked when I checked in was where the pool was. There isn't one. Where in this day and age does a hotel not have a pool? I was given a key which meant that the key card to my room didn't work. The DSTV wasn't working and quite a few of people complained about it. They just said that the dish was out of order and that its getting fixed. Going by one of the other reviews they have been working on it for months now. The tv is too high up against the wall which means that from a lying position the angle is wrong and you can't really see the picture that well. My bed was a tad too hard and I barely slept, but perhaps that was just me. My room's one window latch was missing and to their credit they fixed it very quickly after I reported it. The breakfast must be the worst one I have ever seen in a hotel. Basically put, they don't even have meusli nor fried eggs. I was not impressed and neither were a lot of other people staying there at the same time.

Room Tip: Choose a room in another hotel
  • Stayed February 2012, traveled on business

Families
Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (3)
Cape Town
Reviewed September 11, 2011

First of all let me tell you I spend over 100 nights each year in hotel rooms, from 2* to 5*+ hotels and I have been traveling extensivly for over 20 years.
This was my worst hotel expierence to-date!
We had a party of 4 and booked 4 hotel rooms, all of us had a negative expierence/impression of this dump.
Firstly they could not get the bookings right, they even put us in the same room when we had prepaid for 4 individual rooms. Two of the rooms were filthy with fittings hanging off the wall. The rooms can be best described as dormitories. This place is totally run down and unmaintained. The TV is a 19" monitor stuck 2m+ off the ground. The DSTV did dot work and the error message was that the service had been cancelled due to non payment. No WiFi in the rooms, no plug points at the desk, no safe. the layout of the bathroom is pathetic. One of the rooms was not even cleaned on the 2nd day. Arrived for a pre booked and payed breakfast at 8am and all the food trays were empty.

Do NOT stay at this hotel, it is not a three star and no accreditation body would even give it 2 stars. IT IS A DUMP!!!!

• Stayed September 2011, traveled on business
2 Thank JKfromSA

Travelers are raving about these Midrand hotels

South Africa
Reviewed July 23, 2011

It was the first time that I stayed at this hotel doing my booking via a recent internet promotion, rates seemed good and location seemed fairly central to the Midrand area of Johannesburg where I needed to be to conduct some business. Not easy hotel to find if you are a stranger to the area, but if you have a GPS like me to help you along...no problem. Lobby was a bit retro, but neat... and the staff helpful and friendly. My room was very very average (again a bit retro) and probably only adequate for a quick overnight stay. I would not classify this hotel as a 3 star but rather 2 to 2.5 star. My card opener on the door lock did not work, and after I reported this, I was handed a key to use, which again was a bit retro - (old fashioned). No cupboard safe. A small LCD tv sort of slapped onto the wall, but with poor reception. Bed and bedding was adequate and the air-con worked ok. I requested/booked a non smoking room and I was pleased to have gotten one. Shower did not work well and had poor water pressure, soap dish in shower clung onto the wall by faith, and the jacket-hook behind the door was dangling by one screw. Dining area was neat, but dinner (bu-vet) was expensive for what you got (so I didn't feel obliged to tip as I normally do), but surprisingly the breakfast (bu-vet) was a good one and good value for money. I reported the faults in the room on checkout and the staff seemed genuine in their concerns about my complaints. One last thing. Although wi-fi is available, it is only available downstairs at the lobby, which I felt likely to be a huge let down for any serious business person who needed to work, do business, or answer e-mails from the comfort of their room. With a bit of proper maintenance, innovative management, and some added value for business people, this hotel could become a good 3 star hotel.....

• Stayed July 2011, traveled on business
Polokwane, South Africa
Reviewed July 13, 2011

This hotel is satisfactory for an overnight stay, or very short holiday. The room contained everything we needed, and the staff was friendly, allowing us to book in a little earlier. The area is not the best in Johannesburg, and I wouldn't recommend walking around. The hotel is also very far from the airport and city centre. It was a nightmare driving to the hotel during peak time traffic. We paid a very low rate for our room, and we got what we expected.

• Stayed July 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank Ms_Sadien
Kadoma, Zimbabwe
Reviewed January 12, 2011

I have been to Midrand Executive Hotel more than 6 times in 2010, much to my pleasure. It is conveniently located directly opposite Gallagher Convention Center and 5 minutes walk to Boulders Mall. At R550 B & B for 3 star hotel with all the extras!! What more free internet available! I had to shift from my usual Mercure Hotel (3 star) just opposite who were ripping me (R840) for the inferior service- R100 for breakfast! R80 for internet! Pay for airport transfers! etc.
Keep it up Midrand Executive Hotel... but please make sure that your door card keys work all the time.

• Stayed December 2010, traveled on business
1 Thank Clement263
Also consider these accommodations in or near Midrand
Mercure Johannesburg Midrand
BON Hotel Midrand
BON Hotel Midrand
#5 of 10 in Midrand
Protea Hotel by Marriott Midrand

Been to Executive Hotel? Share your experiences!