“what is going on?”

Ranked #36 of 62 Kempton Park B&B and Inns
lusaka
“what is going on?”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed April 9, 2012

arrived at doves nest on the 29th of march 2012.our pick up person at the airport was already waiting ( a plus) but not the driver.. we waited for over an hour for the driver to finaly come. got to doves nest and ther was confusion over our rooms that the receptionist and her colegue continuosly mumbled to each other about the security guard showed us to our rooms :-( ...its noisy, there is no control over guests conduct especially at night, was disturbed by some late unruly arrivals at 3am who where yelling on top of their voices.
the breakfast is average but, have to keep reminding for simple requests such as warm milk. a waitress at some point wore bed slippers to the dinning to serve breakfast..
this was my familys fourth time staying at doves nest and our last !! standards have deteriorated, staff isnt proffesional, at times rude except for a waiter named kelvin he went out of his way to be kind and helpful.
doves nest is a good idea going bad, covenient location to airport, however, management should work hard and uplift the standards it had some three or so years ago when we first stayed here. staff should be trained to be polite and mannered.

• Stayed March 2012, traveled with family
1 Thank huntersgold

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (8)
Durham, North Carolina
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed February 7, 2012

If there's one thing you want in a guest house near the airport it's a good night of sleep. Unfortunately, I didn't get it here. Between not having bed nets (I was woken up early hour by mosquitoes), the rooms being located right next to the parking lot, and noisy guards discourteously talking outside my door, I was disappointed in my stay.

On the plus side, the food was surprisingly good and I thought the staff was very pleasant. Still, I think I'll be staying elsewhere next time I need to stay overnight near JNB.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled on business
1 Thank Jonathan C
Bengaluru, India
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed December 9, 2011

We stayed here for 2 nights. The location is great and room size is adequate but the facility isn't very well maintained. The first room we were allotted had a broken bathroom door and it took a while to get an alternate room.

Parking facility is safe and available right in front of the rooms.

Food is good and the staff who serve the guests are very friendly.

We opted for the hotel pick up from Emperor's palace on the first night and the driver just took forever to get to us. We'd prefer being told exactly how long the vehicle would actually take to arrive rather than wait!

Laundry service was prompt.

Overall, I am sorry I didn't review this place before booking it!

• Stayed October 2011, traveled with friends
1 Thank 553366
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed November 3, 2011

Well to start off. It was all nice with the pick up from the airport and that it is close by but the driver plays his music in the car and are not very profesional. Get to the guest house, it looks real pretty from the outside but inside it is another story. The staff are loud and just plain rude. I believe the older lady is the manager but you can see by the way she treats the staff that there is a lack in managment skills. We were luckily only there for one night and I was so very tired, that myself and my mistress got into bed but it was really not very clean. The next morning we got up to get shuttle but had to wait for a short while and when he came, I believe he went to fetch the staff, no worry for the guest. They had a free breakfast and the lady offered us but I already decided with the room being so dirty, I am not going to eat so I cannot comment on the food.. Well my conclusion is that the structure and the idea is there for a great guesthouse but the intrest to make it sucessful is non excistant..

• Stayed October 2011
1 Thank justincba
ohio
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed October 22, 2011

I stayed over night here as I was passing through Joburg on my way to a safari in Zimbabwe. We arrived late one evening and caleed for a shuttle which arrived fairly quickly at they airport. Our cell phones did not work, even with an Intl calling option, but customer service called for us. The kitchen was closed when we arrived but they were accomodating and made sandwiches, They also went out to a store and bought chips and beer for us, which we paid for. I felt the dining room was not the cleanest that night but was better in the morning. The breakfast was good and my room was very clean. The staff was friendly and accomodating.

• Stayed June 2011, traveled with friends
London
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed September 30, 2011

The hotels near Jo'berg airport are all expensive for the traveller on a budget, so we were pleased to find Dove's Nest. It's key selling point is the free shuttle to drop you off and pick you up - we stayed here twice (before and after a trip to Madagascar) and everything went smoothly both times.

The room itself was basic, with a few bits of the decor very faded or broken. It's a room, with a bed in and a bathroom, fairly clean. That's what you're getting, and at a cheap price. Food in the evening was very very average but also not expensive. Cheap food in South Africa is never very good, if our eight weeks are anything to judge.

So there you have it. If you want an overnight stop near Jo'berg airport then this is a good money-saving option, but don't expect the Ritz.

• Stayed October 2010, traveled as a couple
Seattle, Washington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed March 10, 2011

Pros:
- Complementary shuttle to and from the airport.
- Free Internet available in lobby. They even let me print out boarding pass for free.

Cons:
- You might find yourself in the auxiliary area across the street, which feels a little less secure.
- Baggage storage completely unsecure.
- Lots of little things wrong with room: patio light didn't work; TV remote sometimes doesn't work (battery cover missing); sink plug broken...
- Nothing in way of food or drink establishments within walking distance.

• Stayed March 2011, traveled solo
1 Thank Rasbobbo