“Extremley convenient.”

InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed May 4, 2013

Intercontinental JNB Airport, This hotel is literally across the road from the arrivals hall in the airport, it would have taken less than 15 minutes from collecting luggage to checking in at the hotel. The room was well appointed the shower spectacular the bed extremely comfortable the black out curtains did what they were supposed to & the room was extremely quiet, what more do you want after a 13 Hour flight. Well there’s a small pool and fitness centre with fabulous views over the airport. There’s an outdoor terrace bar serving chilled Castle Lager and very tasty snacks. Inside there’s a stylish restaurant with a good selection of food on offer. The staff were delightful and I would happily have stayed on. But that was not to be, Kruger beckoned.

• Stayed: March 2013, traveled on business
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 6, 2013

Good Morning Peter S and Thank You for taking some time out of your day in order to post feedback in Trip Advisor - regarding your recent stay with us - appreciated. We are delighted to read that you enjoyed your time with us and hope that it won't be too long before you next visit. Keep well and enjoy your game viewing. Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,388)

Reviewed May 1, 2013

I had to arrived a day earlier with my 15 months old toddler than my husband and therefore decided to stay at this airport due to the convenient of the hotel location. It is practically a stone throw away from the airport, no hassle of taking airport bus etc. From check in, the staff was so polite and warm that they made me feel so at home. I ate all my meals in room and after every meals, the staff will call to ask how was the food. I also visited the spa on the 8th floor, very good experience again. I will surely stay at this hotel the day before my returning flight again in future when I visit SA. Thank you!

Room Tip: The king executive room is much more spacious and comfortable if you have a toddler with you.
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled with family
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded May 3, 2013

Good Evening MikaLagos and Thank You for taking some time out of your day to post feedback on Trip Advisor regarding your recent stay with us - most appreciated. We are so pleased to read that you and your Toddler had a great time with us - as we are very much "children friendly" as well. Great to read that you will be visiting us again - and looking forward to looking after you once more. Have a great weekend, Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager

Reviewed May 1, 2013

We had an absolutely wonderful 20 hour stay at the Intercontinental in between flights.
Our flight arrived at 10 AM and we were at the hotel by 11, and our room was ready--so welcome after a 11 hour flight from Paris. We were upgraded to a King Suite and the room was lovely. The room was huge, clean, had two windows for natural light, (although there are no views, it's attached to the airport after all) the A/C was good and strong, and the shower was one of the best hotel showers ever.
We had dinner at Quills restaurant there, service and food were top notch.
The breakfast buffet has to be seen to be believed. Seriously I don't know how they fit such a selection in such a moderate space.
Service was top notch from everyone we encountered, to include Sakile at reception.
My only negative is that the wi-fi signal in our room was a bit weak/slow.
The Intercontinental is definitely a luxury business class hotel.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple

Good Evening DumbDog and Thank you for taking some time out of your day to post feedback regarding your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. Interesting reviewer title. We are so pleased to read that you really enjoyed your time with us and that we managed to leave you with so many great memories - that's great. Hope it won't be too long before your next visit - keep well and enjoy the weekend, Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.

Reviewed April 29, 2013

Stayed for one night the inter con OR Tambo, as always the hotel never fails to impress you, great dinner selection, great wine selection, especially for an overnight stop over. Breakfast tops it all... Absolute 5 star luxury for a price off course. Will always be my stop over hotel with its ideal location at the airport.

Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 30, 2013

Good Morning Dax C and Thank You for taking some time out of your busy day in order to post some feedback regarding our hotel on Trip Advisor - appreciated. We are so pleased to read that we are your home away from home when visiting South Africa and that you will be visiting us time and time again - a huge Thank You for your support. Keep well and hope to see you soon again. Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.

Reviewed April 26, 2013

Like others, I have to agree that this is the best airport hotel I have ever stayed at. 24 hour room service accommodates arrivals and departures at all times and they have the fastest room service I have ever experienced. I wasn't feeling well one night and asked for a clear soup and the chef himself rang me to discuss my needs and made a bowl of soup, just for me! There are 3 types of plugs at the room desk so you will not need a specific South African plug adapter. The room is large enough and the bathroom is beautiful and spacious. I can't recommend it highly enough.
Also, being next to an airport you want to be sure you won't hear or feel planes taking off and landing, airport traffic etc. This is one of the quietest hotels I have ever stayed in, both internal and external so no complaints at all.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 28, 2013

Good Evening JMW66 and Thank You for taking some time out of your day in order to post feedback on Trip Advisor regarding our lovely hotel. I am sure by now you are feeling much better, and I am glad the Chef could assist you with a good Soup, in order to assist with your healing process. Hope it won't be too long before your next visit, keep well, regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.

Reviewed April 23, 2013

To finish off our trip to Botswana, we returned to JNB to catch the South Africa Airways flight to NYC. We chose the Intercon because of the location right next to the airport arrivals area. Might have been 100 steps to the front door. The service was awesome, the decor in the public area and the guest rooms was extremely upscale and comfortable. The meal quality was far above the average hotel, and on par with other good restaurants in South Africa. The sound proofing was a++. we slept perfectly, enjoyed the walk in showers, and excellent service. When we wanted to travel, all we need to do was walk to the upper level of the airport and catch the high speed train. The concierge on duty the night of my departure went out of here way to deliver my Ipad to airport security for me to pick up. Her name was Michelle, and does credit to her profession and the Intercontinental Hotel.

Room Tip: Great airport hotel. I asked for a quiet room, and our room looked at the terminal on the 4th floo...
  • Stayed: April 2013, traveled as a couple
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 25, 2013

Good Morning Comfortlux and Thank You for taking the time to post some feedback regarding your recent stay with us a our lovely hotel - really appreciated. I am so glad that we managed to get your Ipad back to you before you flight. Hope you'll visit us soon again, keep well, kind regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.

Reviewed April 20, 2013

Stayed for a weekend again and once again it was a great stay. The rooms are really the best in the business. The only problem this time for me was the service in the bar/lounge area in the evening, was very slow when the bar is actually a very small area and I kept having to get up to call a waiter and when I wanted the bill, well they had to go searching for our waiter, this could really be improved as it is not a huge area to service. Other than that the hotel is superb and reception staff and breakfast staff were great.
P.S. I stayed away from the Spa as I had my worst experience there ever my last trip.

• Stayed: April 2013, traveled on business
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded April 21, 2013

Good Evening Leon L and Thank You for taking the time to post feedback regarding your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. Thank you for the positive feedback regarding our rooms - appreciated. With regards to the "attentive" service in our Restaurant and Bar - I do apologise - and will ensure that we remedy the lack of speed and attention immediately. Hope to see you soon again, kind regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.