“Remarkable style for an airport hotel”

InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #1 of 27 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed November 7, 2012

I - and my family - have stayed here several times. It's always been very good - friendly, helpful staff and good food. It's even a great place to call in for a meal or drink on the terrace if you have an hour to kill between flights.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled on business
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 9, 2012

Good Evening PGON and Thank You for taking a few minutes to post feedback regarding our great hotel on Trip Advisor. You have highligted another feature of our hotel, in that you don't have to stay here in order to indulge in our 24 hour restaurant and wonderful terrace area. Especially since its summer now and a much better option to wait for your flight whilst having something to drink and snack on - as opposed to sitting in ther terminal building. Thank you once again for the feedback - appreciated, and looking forward to your next stay. Kind Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,418)

Reviewed November 5, 2012

My husband and I stayed at the Intercontinental in early October. We arrived on a late flight after about 24 hours travelling, discovered my husband's suitcase was missing (we assumed - correctly as it turned out - that some other passenger had mistakenly taken it) . We were therefore feeling pretty tired and jaded.

You literally walk out of customs, through the arrival hall, and across the road to the hotel. The location is brilliant. We were able to check in, and then pop back to the airport to explore the shopping mall that is attached to buy a few basic necessities due to the lost suitcase. Fortunately when the bag was returned (by I hope a very shamefaced passenger) a few hours later, we were so close that the lost bag service was able to drop the suitcase over to the hotel within minutes of calling us.

The room had everything we needed and wanted and would expect to find in a five star hotel, and we were able to freshen up quickly. We slept reasonably well (given a 10 hour time difference), and didn't hear any airport noise. Breakfast the next morning was included in our booking, and whilst this isn't necessary (there are plenty of eating places in the airport), it was a very pleasant dining room, and the breakfast spread was delicious. Yes it included standard fare, but there were a few nice touches that were appreciated. Checkout was prompt, and again a very short stroll across the road saw us checking in for our flight.

For an overnight stop between flights, this would always be my choice.

• Stayed: October 2012, traveled as a couple
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 6, 2012

Good Evening LindaNZ and Thank You for taking time out of your day to post feedback regarding our great hotel on Trip Advisor. Really appreciated. We are so happy to read that you had a great time with us and enjoyed so many of our offerings. Its all about creating great memories for our guests and I can see that we definately made a few for you. Hope it won't be too long before your next visit. Keep well, Kind Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.

Reviewed November 5, 2012

We spent two nights here stopping over on our African safari and found it to be an ideal place to chillout . The access to the airport was assisted by the very helpful hotel porter who took us to our check in desk and whilst we were in the hotel there was no disturbing noise. J'burg is probably the best airport in Africa and the hotel makes any stopover relaxing. Rooms are comfortable and the highlight is the Nespresso machine. Breakfast has a great choice to meet every need the only disappointment was our dinner which was not of the same standard.

Room Tip: We were happy with our room both times and since it was a one night stop could not see any particula...
  • Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple

Good Evening Cultureseeker_11 and Thank You for taking the time to post feedback regarding our wonderful hotel on Trip Advisor. We appreciate all feedback and ensure that we keep striving for total guest satisfaction and our end goal of creating GREAT MEMORIES. Have a great evening and looking forward to your next visit. We are launching our new Dinner Menu in December. Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Arrived late and left early so didn't eat there or use spa etc but service when we checked in was excellent and room was gorgeous, best airport hotel we have ever stayed in (and there has been many). Lovely touches like a good selection of teas, proper coffee machine, a range of glasses. Great shower and separate bath. Bar was open all night so it was lovely to have a drink before bed even though it was late. Slight problem on checkout as bill had room rate on it and we had prepaid but staff sorted it and apologised.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled as a couple
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded November 4, 2012

Good Evening BosuDunn and Thank You for taking the time to post feedback regarding your recent stay with us on Trip Advisor. All feedback recieved goes a long way to ensuring we stay on top of our guest experience, which remains our main focus at all times. Trust you'll have a great week, kind regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Room is very clean and sophisticated, so comfortable.
In-room service was nice taste and reasonable price.
I stayed Single with King-bed room and was ZAR 2,000/night.

• Stayed: November 2012, traveled on business

Good Evening Toykolover1975 and Thank You for taking the time to post some feedback regarding our hotel on Trip Advisor - Appreciated. We make many learnings from all our feedback and look forward to your next visit. Keep well and Kind Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager

Reviewed November 3, 2012

Very convenient to stay if you a over night stay at J'borg. At the terrace pool, you can watch the aircrafts landing and taking off. Excellent spa, good food. I used this hotel several times, and, recommend it as it is safe and decent.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business

Good Evening Yazaksami - and Thank You for taking the time out of your day in order to post some feedback regarding our lovely hotel on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to read that you enjoy your time with us whenever you stay and Thank You for your continued patronage. Looking forward to your next stay - Kind Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.

Reviewed November 3, 2012

I stayed at the hotel overnight at the front and back end of my travels - so two stays, two nights - each for less than 12 hours. The location can't be beat - just steps from the airport. I used points/cash from their loyalty program (gold member) to pay for my stay as the normal price is generally high but then again you pay for convenience.
I arrived after a long flight from the US around 6 pm for a quick & easy check in. The room was quite spacious, the bed comfy and the bathroom was lovely. The dinner service and selection were quite attentive and friendly and i found the prices were not that expensive as i had they might be. The wine/dessert were fantastic and the restaurant had a good crowd with many servers and managers visible should you need anyone. Your other option (if not room service) is to use the food court at the airport which had a varied selection if cost is a concern. I did go back to the airport (food court area) to use the ATM as the hotel does not have one on site which i found odd.
I contacted the concierge prior to arrival for baggage shipping options as i arrived with two bags but was limited to just a duffel for the flight the next day. She arranged to mail my luggage to Cape Town where i would pick it up ten days later - the cost was minimal (note: you need to collect in the local post office with ID and their hours vary so factor that in). The concierge team also checked me in for my flight. Easy to work with before arrival and onsite.
Breakfast buffet the next morning was plentiful choice and good service. Check out was quick and loved that the bellman walked you & your bags to your check-in desk (i would have been lost otherwise flying to Botswana as the desk was in the back corner). Free Wi-fi (you get a code at check-in) was fast and easy to access in the room and common areas.

On the second stay (end of my travels), i arrived at 8pm, again quick check in, i ordered room service which was efficient with a good selection of both food & wine. the morning of check out - i had some issues that were addressed by management - at breakfast (restaurant was empty save two tables), I had to flag down a server who found my server, my order then was delayed and i had to find a manager to attend to me as i was late for my tour pickup. Quite a different visit from the first one. The front desk could not make change upon check in/out which was then hard to tip with -they had to wait until their finance office opened - this was not something i expect at a luxury property.I had a housekeeping issue that the front desk investigated. just little things here and there that marred the second visit.

One thing to watch out for when the bellman walks you to the airport check-in desk, there are men in the airport that "try to help you" after the bellman leaves as they want a tip. After the bellman left me, another guy just showed up, grabbed my cart to push/stand with me in line and i said "no, i am fine, no help needed" as i kept my hands on the cart. I found this with the second stay and my flight back to the US. On the first stay with my flight to Botswana, no one bothered us.

My first visit was fantastic and everything i expect from an Intercontinental, the second stay was not the standard i expect. Everyone was eager to address, explain and remedy my issues whereas my point was "these should not have happened at all in this type of property" no need to explain after the fact.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled solo

Good Evening Philatravelgirl_11. Thank you for taking the time to post some valuable feedback regarding our lovely hotel on Trip Advisor. Your feedback ensures that we remain on our toes and remained customer focused. Thank you for your honest feedback - its appreciated. Have a great week, Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager.