First, a disclaimer: we used Priority Club points to pay for our room. Given the normal price of rooms (expensive!), it was nice to not have to pay out-of-pocket. Getting the opportunity to stay here on points was a real treat, and a great use of points in our opinion.
The Intercontinental was literally right across the street from the airport terminal, next to the rental car desks. Once we walked in, it felt like a totally different world -- beautiful art and furnishings in the common areas, great service, and huge well-appointed rooms. Everything was a relaxing respite from our multi-day string of international flights.
As Priority Club platinum members, we were hoping for some level of recognition or an upgrade on arrival. However, as noted by other travelers, this hotel does not commonly provide upgrades for Priority Club elites. Rather, you need to be a member of their (non-free) Ambassador program to get extra perks and upgrades. No worries -- the room we booked was really nice even without an upgrade, and we did receive a couple of plates of fresh fruit and bottled water in the room when we arrived.
Perhaps it's the little things like the free wireless internet access, the tea stand in the lobby, or the great service at the desk on check-in that really put the Intercontinental at the level of a world-class hotel. Perhaps it was just the surprise of finding such a comfortable room and fantastic service at a busy international airport. Overall, though, we had a great stay and would recommend this hotel to anyone.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport is a safe and highly convenient hotel only 68.7 metres (225-foot) walk from the International Arrivals hall at Johannesburg's O.R. Tambo International Airport and is your ideal and hassle-free stopover for onward Southern African destinations, Game Reserves, Victoria Falls & Cape Town. Perfectly located for business and a 14-minute train ride from the Sandton CBD, the hotel facilities include free unlimited Wi-Fi, Business Centre, Health Spa, complimentary gym, swimming pool and DVD library. Guests love our large showers with massage showerheads and the ample natural light flowing from the floor to ceiling windows. In-room flight information allows you to time and plan your onward journeys from the comfort of your room. Soundproofed rooms, blackout curtains, king beds and fluffy duvets ensure you enjoy a great sleep experience. Quills Restaurant, open 24 hours daily, offers contemporary African dining, indoors or on the terrace. Winner of the 2015 Best Airport Hotel in Africa Award by Skytrax World Airport Awards and refurbished in 2015, the hotel offers the most sophisticated airport accommodations on the African Continent. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Hotels.com, Expedia, Travelocity, IHG, Agoda, Hotwire, Priceline, TripOnline SA, Cancelon and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Johannesburg Or Tambo Airport Hotel Kempton Park
- Intercontinental Kempton Park
- Intercontinental Hotel Kempton Park