“Convenient but expensive airport hotel”

InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport
Ranked #1 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed March 1, 2008

Following a delayed arrival into Johannesburg and waiting 2 hours for baggage off-loading we missed our connecting flight and so booked the 'last free room' in the hotel for the night. The room was decorated in dark wood and beige paint. The room felt a little cramped and not particularly welcoming. Although the room looked old fashioned and the quality of the construction was very poor (clearly they have no idea how to fit a door properly) the bed was comfortable and the air-con worked. The bathroom was fine with a good shower.

The common ways on the bedroom floors had been redecorated in a shade of cream that went particularly badly with the wood. The impression was of a cheap nursing home that had been given a quick makeover.

The ground floor was fine with friendly staff. We gave up on dinner in the restaurant; the combination of a lot of travelling, waiting ten minutes for someone to take an order and an over fussy menu caused us to beat a quick exit for a fast food solution in the airport. Breakfast was fine (albeit extra) with very good marmalade. Seeing people struggle through the small dining room with their luggage using the shortest route to the terminal provided a different backdrop to the usual rustle of newspapers.

The location is very convenient, a few minutes walk from both the international and internal terminals.

It's the best airport hotel but whether it is worth 50% more than the Sun City 4 star (that we stayed in on the way back) for a one night stopover is uncertain.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled as a couple
1  Thank Brightsol

Reviewed February 4, 2008

The hotel is located 100 meters from the arrivals hall, so in less then 3 minutes I was at the reception.

The reception did not have my reservation in the system, and when told him that I had made the reservation a few hours earlier, he guided me to the business center, where I could check the reservation number on line. Both computers at the business centre were occupied, so when I got back to the reception, he checked for my reservation, and found it. I was going to pay US$380 for a hotel room for 5 hours. I was also given a free wireless Internet voucher (I did not have time to use it).

I was up-graded to a junior suite. The room had a large marble bathroom (inadequate lighting), with a power shower, and separate bath. The bedroom had a sitting area with comfortable sofa’s, Plasma TV, and minbar. The bed was very comfortable with goose down pillows, and a blanket (not duvet). The safe is large enough to fit a laptop.

In the morning, I went to the Quill Restaurant for breakfast. Service was very mediocre. The waitresses were too interested in talking amongst themselves, instead of serving. There was a buffet continental breakfast of yogurt, fruit, cold meats, bread, pastries, and cereal. Hot food had to be ordered, and in the 25 minutes I was at breakfast, no one came to take the order, clear the table, etc. Very poor service for a 5 star hotel.

Check out was quick, but I had been charged for a movie that I did not watch, and mini bar consumption – 2 items, yet I only had one bottle of water. The receptionist sorted this out quickly.

• Stayed: February 2008, traveled on business
2  Thank roadwarriorafrica
Reviewed November 28, 2007

Nice establishment. Stayed here 3 different times over a 25 day period as a stoppin goff point for other destination in south africa. Rooms are very nice and staff helpful. Breakfasts were sumptuous. Dinner in the bar and restaurant were both reasonable and good. Will use this hotel in the future as well.

• Stayed: September 2007, traveled as a couple
2  Thank Cindy-Milford
Reviewed August 8, 2007

We were here for 1 night due to no flight connection available to PE until the next day. I personally found Jo’burg very scary (for want of a better description). Regrettably, I read a newspaper which contained nothing but crime stories and the hotel information folder stated not to open our room door to anyone even staff unless we telephone reception to check reason for staff call.

The hotel itself was good and the Soweto tour arranged by our tour operator was interesting. We dine at the hotel that evening for security reasons and hotel location was great for our flight connection the next morning. Ideally, I would prefer a stop over at PE but visiting Jo’burg was an experience which we do now appreciate but not perhaps at the time.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled as a couple
3  Thank MJEIreland
Reviewed July 31, 2007

Had a three-day stay at the beginning of July, and will agree with other posters, it is an excellent airport hotel very convenient for the terminal. I found the staff helpful, attentive and friendly.

Although the rooms are expensive they are large, and very nicely appointed. I requested a non-smoking room but ended up with a smoking room, although you couldn't tell.
The meals and drinks were good value (in comparison to the room rate).

Now the downside, when I checked out a colleague paid my bill. However when I returned to the UK, my credit card company contacted me to say the hotel had deducted £800.00 from my card, and there had been several other attempts to use the card fraudulently, including booking of flights.
I contacted the duty manager, who promised to look into the matter. I received an email to inform me that the hotel had cancelled the charge but couldn't comment on the other transactions and to let them know if I wanted to make an official complaint (which I did). I have not heard anymore about it since, and at no time have I received an apology.
The only time my credit card left my wallet during my stay in South Africa was when I checked in at this hotel. Beware!

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled on business
7  Thank propellerhead
Reviewed July 27, 2007

This is a good airport hotel and as far as airports go, probably one of the better ones. But we booked two non smoking rooms, reconfirmed and it took 20 minutes via two rude women on the front desk to get them to find a non smoking room. But great rooms, breakfast and gym. Staff can be patchy but all in all, a good spot for an overnighter on your way to Cape Town or Kruger etc.

• Stayed: July 2007, traveled with family
5  Thank EK201
Reviewed July 19, 2007

We stayed at the Inter Continental Airport Sun for two separate nights on our honeymoon. The hotel is a five minute walk from the airport. There is an easy route to the terminal, and they have airport luggage carts in the hotel for easy transport. The hotel is really nice and very well decorated. They have a spa and pool on the top floor with a great view. The first night, they gave us a huge room on the corner with a huge bathroom, champagne, and a gift. We ordered room service, and the food was really good but not overpriced. The breakfast is also really good. They have all types of breads, cereals, fruits, and meats on a buffet; and we also ordered from the menu, all of which was included in the cost of our room. When we came back the second time, we had a smaller room, but equally nice. We ate in the restaurant both nights we were there; the food was delicious and not too expensive. We were told it was best to stay around the hotel since J'burg is not the safest city. When we go back, we will definitely stay there again. We booked through Greenlife Africa and got a decent price for the stay.

• Stayed: February 2007, traveled as a couple