Following a delayed arrival into Johannesburg and waiting 2 hours for baggage off-loading we missed our connecting flight and so booked the 'last free room' in the hotel for the night. The room was decorated in dark wood and beige paint. The room felt a little cramped and not particularly welcoming. Although the room looked old fashioned and the quality of the construction was very poor (clearly they have no idea how to fit a door properly) the bed was comfortable and the air-con worked. The bathroom was fine with a good shower.
The common ways on the bedroom floors had been redecorated in a shade of cream that went particularly badly with the wood. The impression was of a cheap nursing home that had been given a quick makeover.
The ground floor was fine with friendly staff. We gave up on dinner in the restaurant; the combination of a lot of travelling, waiting ten minutes for someone to take an order and an over fussy menu caused us to beat a quick exit for a fast food solution in the airport. Breakfast was fine (albeit extra) with very good marmalade. Seeing people struggle through the small dining room with their luggage using the shortest route to the terminal provided a different backdrop to the usual rustle of newspapers.
The location is very convenient, a few minutes walk from both the international and internal terminals.
It's the best airport hotel but whether it is worth 50% more than the Sun City 4 star (that we stayed in on the way back) for a one night stopover is uncertain.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- InterContinental Johannesburg O.R. Tambo Airport is a safe and highly convenient hotel only 68.7 metres (225-foot) walk from the International Arrivals hall at Johannesburg's O.R. Tambo International Airport and is your ideal and hassle-free stopover for onward Southern African destinations, Game Reserves, Victoria Falls & Cape Town. Perfectly located for business and a 14-minute train ride from the Sandton CBD, the hotel facilities include free unlimited Wi-Fi, Business Centre, Health Spa, complimentary gym, swimming pool and DVD library. Guests love our large showers with massage showerheads and the ample natural light flowing from the floor to ceiling windows. In-room flight information allows you to time and plan your onward journeys from the comfort of your room. Soundproofed rooms, blackout curtains, king beds and fluffy duvets ensure you enjoy a great sleep experience. Quills Restaurant, open 24 hours daily, offers contemporary African dining, indoors or on the terrace. Winner of the 2015 Best Airport Hotel in Africa Award by Skytrax World Airport Awards and refurbished in 2015, the hotel offers the most sophisticated airport accommodations on the African Continent. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Booking.com, Expedia, Travelocity, Priceline, IHG, Orbitz, Agoda, Hotwire, Hotels.com, Cheap Tickets and HotelQuickly so you can book your InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport reservations with confidence. We help millions of travelers each month to find the perfect hotel for both vacation and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Intercontinental Johannesburg Or Tambo Airport Hotel Kempton Park
- Intercontinental Kempton Park
- Intercontinental Hotel Kempton Park