1,552 results
All reviews quills restaurant nespresso machine top floor long flight international arrivals arrivals hall executive room main terminal tambo airport next morning hour flight your luggage south africa room service between flights baggage claim terminal building
Reviewed June 23, 2012

Located directly opposite the arrivals hall at Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport the hotel is perfectly located particularly after a long flight. The hotel is beautifully appointed, as are the rooms and on the whole the staff are friendly, however it does have it flaws which is not what one would expect given the room rate of approaching US$500/night.

There is no Club, and I am lucky enough to be a Royal Ambassador, and have become accustomed to the availability of a Club for coffee and breakfast - all of which in this hotel is billable.

The Quills Restaurant has a really relaxed atmosphere but unfortunately the service is inattentive and slow and the food is very below all other restaurants that I have experienced in South Africa. I had a pasta dish which was bland and overcooked, which arrived some 30 minutes after finishing my starter - not worth the wait. Although the management at the time was apologetic yet still billed me for the privilege of eating separately with my guest, which gave me an indication on how they value me as a customer.

Be warned as a Royal Ambassador they still bill for soft drinks from the mini-bar if on a reward booking, unlike many InterContinental Hotels that I stay at, despite offering an upgrade and free Wi-Fi access. This was mentioned to the duty manager, who was totally irreverent.

I have stayed at this hotel previously on a number of occasions, but would seriously consider other options in the vicinity such as the Emperors Palace, despite the hassle of having to transfer off the airport apron.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank Vigggen
Management response:Responded June 24, 2012

Good Morning Mr Vigggen, Thank you for taking the time to forward your comments to Trip Advisor. I am aware of the events that took place on Saturday and the subsequent apologies and corrective action / offers made to yourself. I apologise sincerely for these short commings as they are truly not a reflection of our hotel on any given day. As you can see we have many great Trip Advisor responses - but on this particular day we dropped the ball. I am really sorry about that and I hope you will take us up on the offer - so that we can restore your faith in our Great Hotel. You are quite correct about the fact that we don't have a club floor in this particular hotel, but I am sure you will agree, that our rooms are of a very high quality and standard - as well as the fact that our restaurant is 24 hours - and thus your Ambassador program benefits remain in tact. Looking forward to meeting you on your next stay. Once again, sincere apologies - we will make it up to you. Kind Regards - Andrew Davidson - General Manager.

Reviewed June 21, 2012

After a long flight we just cross the road to the Intercontinental. It was our honeymoon and to our surprise there was a complimentary bottle of champagne in our room and there were roses en rose petals scattered. Also a complimentary CD with Healing Sounds from Mother Africa with a personally written note.
A great start of our holiday!
Also a really great breakfast with fresh honey. Never seen anywhere.
Sadly we only stayed 1 night but when we are around we will come back!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple
Management response:Responded June 23, 2012

Good Evening Etb42,
Thank you so much for taking the time to post your wonderful report. Yes, thats how we treat our honeymooners - and once again all the best for the many great years ahead. Kind Regards Andrew Davidson and team. Hope to see you again for lots of anniversaries.

Reviewed June 12, 2012 via mobile

I stayed overnight after a long flight. The hotel was very comfortable and very convenient to the airport. Less than 50m outside the baggage collection area. Staff were friendly and efficient. I think dinner was quite good too. It was pricy but I wasn't paying. I would stay again if I needed to go back to SA.

• Stayed: September 2011
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 13, 2012

Good Afternoon Nstro,
Thank you for taking the time to post some feedback regarding our lovely hotel on Trip Advisor - truly appreciated. Great to see that you had a good time and apologies in advance for the correction I am about to make. We are in fact 68 meters from the arrivals hall to our front door step - so very convinient.
Hope it won't be too long before your next visit, keep well and looking forward to the next visit.
Kind Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager

Reviewed June 11, 2012

Truly, a great option for long layovers or an overnight for a flight. The hotel is great, the rooms are very spacious, clean, quiet and the bathrooms are truly nice; especially if you're between safari camps and am craving water pressure.

The restaurant, Quills is remarkable for an airport hotel. The food quality is spectacular, service is great and overall a pleasureable dining experience.

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled as a couple

Good Afternoon Sean J,
Thank you so much for your kind words and for taking the time to actually post this on Trip Advisor - really appreciated.
Your feedback will also be shared with the team and we all look forward to welcoming you back in the not too distant future.
Keep well and great to know that we have created some great "Memories" for you.
Regards, Andrew Davidson, General Manager

Reviewed June 1, 2012

We spent one night at this hotel as we transited from a very long flight from New York to Maun in Botswana. What an unexpected surprise. it is by far the best airport hotel we have ever stayed at and is an excellent hotel period. So conveniently located, tastefully decorated, excellent staff and good food. And we did not hear one airplane!

• Stayed: May 2012, traveled with friends
AndrewDavidson, General Manager at InterContinental Johannesburg OR Tambo Airport, responded to this reviewResponded June 2, 2012

Good Evening Carolynn f,
Thank you so much for your great feedback - really appreciated! Feedback like this gives us a extra bounce in our step and makes us push even harder towards creating great memories for our guests. Hope we will see you soon again, kind regards Andrew Davidson, General Manager.