“Bathtub next to the bed! but great deal.”

Peermont Metcourt Hotel at Emperors Palace
Ranked #7 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Brooklyn
“Bathtub next to the bed! but great deal.”
Reviewed February 11, 2012

This hotel was very hip and new. However, the entire single room with bathtub next to the bed and having one door that swings a full 180 degrees to either enclose the shower or the toilet is a little funny, especially as it's only frosted glass.

The accommodations were fine, it was comfortable and really we were there to run around in the casino. The free breakfast was great (we did some couples special which had that and a free dinner included - go to the website, I think they always have something running)

It was convenient, shuttle to and from the airport and it was clean and a good experience.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled as a couple

Traveler tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (247)
  • Korean first
Australia
Reviewed February 3, 2012

We stayed at this hotel for a stop over while on our way to Manila from Zimababwe. We arrived in Johannesburg at 2pm and our flight was not to leave until 12pm the following day, so we had plenty of time to fill. We were wrapped with this hotel as it had heaps to offer!

The hotel is very close to the airport and a free shuttle service is available quite frequently, so getting there and back to the airport was not a concern at all. We could tell we were in good hands :)

Check-in was fine. Quick, efficient and the staff were helpful. The rooms were great! Before booking this hotel, i read reviews just to be sure, and plenty of reviewers stated that the rooms were on the small side. I took this into consideration when booking it, but i thought i'd take the chance because of the hotel facilities (ie. the Casino complex). So I was bracing myself while opening the room door and i was pleasantly surprised. The room was so lovely! The decor and furnishings were nice and the room was spotless. It was a smaller room compared to other hotels that we stayed at previously, but we were only stopping over for one night and the room was more than adequate for our stay.

We spent a lot of our time at the Emperor's Palace complex, and we thouroughly enjoyed it there. It was only a brisk 5-10 minute walk from the hotel. There were plenty of dining options at the Casino and plenty of other things to do to keep yourself occupied.

We also had Buffet Breakfast included in our room rate, which made the room rate great value! The breakfast was fantastic! Plenty of options, so you can be sure you were well fed for the day.

Once again, the free shuttle service came in handy to get back to the airport, and you're there within 15 minutes.

The highlight for us at this hotel was the customer service. They were always so friendly and curtious and always willing to lend a hand. We have already decided to stay here again for our stopover on our next trip to ZImbabwe.

• Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
Fremantle, Australia
Reviewed January 28, 2012

Average airport type hotel on the grounds of the Emperors palace, the standard rooms however are tiny, we could hardly get our bag in there!

Breakfast is good and the hotels saving grace is the short walk to the casino complex, it's many restaurants and bars and it's price (cheap).

We went back on the way out of south Africa but stayed at the metcourt suites which was the same price but a much better room.

• Stayed January 2012, traveled with friends
1 Thank AtlantanHaggis
Scottsdale, Arizona
Reviewed January 12, 2012

The Peermont Metcourt is very conveniently located within 5-10 minutes from the airport and on the grounds of the Emperor's Palace casino complex, which offers many restaurant alternatives. The rooms are comfortable although the bathrooms are unusually incorporated into the sleeping area with only a curtain for separation--poor design for privacy.
The inclusive buffet breakfast is excellent with many choices, all fresh and plentiful. The hotel staff are friendly and very accomadating. Wi-Fi is available only in the lobby and for a fee, albeit reasonable.
We did have one problem and that was with the hotel shuttle. There were more people waiting for the shuttle at the airport than it could accomodate and we had to wait an additional 15 mins. for the next shuttle--although the hotel is close, walking is not an option.

• Stayed November 2011, traveled with friends
2 Thank happytrails500
Wollongong
Reviewed January 4, 2012

This hotel is fine for a stop-over. After our 14 hr flight from Sydney to Jo'burg it was good to have a hotel close by. The hotel is part of a larger complex approx 10 mins from the airport, which is serviced by a free shuttle from/to the airport, which runs approx every 20 mins. (Watch the pushy porters who "insist" on handling your baggage at the airport and also at the shuttle queue). Check-in was reasonably prompt, but the staff seemed too busy to be friendly! We stayed here twice. Our first room was small and basic but adequate for one night.
Across the road and through another hotel in the complex we found a hugh open air dining area. There were cafes and restauarants tio suit every budget and palette and the service was excellent with staff doing theit "sales pitch " to sell their particular venue - very competitive. A nice place to while away the evening. There is also a casino there.
Breakfast in the hotel is impossible to obtain if you have an early flight as they are rather strict regarding opening hours in the lobby cafe. We missed out on the first visit and ate at the airport.
Our second visit was more succesful regarding room choice as our reservation was for a non-smoking room, which we had not been allocated. When we pushed for a non-smoking room we were upgraded to a much larger room, with better facilites. Breakfast is very chaotic. They couldn't cope with the number of guests. Not enough tables, not enough staff to clear the tables. Be there early otherwise expect a long wait. Some people were waiting 45 mins just to be seated - lots of complaints! The breakfast itself was good - plenty of food and choice, regularly replenished.
All in all this is a good "short stay" hotel with a convenient location and would recommend for this purpose.

• Stayed September 2011, traveled as a couple
1 Thank evertravelling
Benoni, South Africa
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I found myself comparing this hotel to another similar standard hotel at Schiphol Airport called the Citizen M which is rated as one of the best places to stay in the entire Amsterdam region.
So for a third of the price, what do you actually get at the Metcourt? First of all, a FREE and very regular bus transfer from the Airport, 7 minutes door to door, and you certainly could never miss the bright black and gold bus! Then you get a small but very clean and comfortable room with every conceivable mod con any traveller would expect, and at least double the size of a Citizen M room. I am just not sure about the wall paper which is a mauve colour and makes the room seem dark. In our case the Internet worked on the 2nd try and was pretty quick. There is also an internet station downstairs with 6 computers. The bathrooms are typical of modern design hotels, and don’t allow for as much privacy as some people seem to expect. As this is the modern trend around the entire world now, I suggest to old fuddy duddys, rather just get used to it, and your stay will be so much better without worrying if your room mate might actually see a very obscure silhouette of you.
There is a full service restaurant and bar, but with a choice of 15 or more quality restaurants within the casino complex, we ate dinner elsewhere.
Then there is a charming garden area and beautiful swimming pool, unfortunately extremely stupidly designed as it doesn’t get any Sun after 1 p.m.!! The morons who designed this should be taken to task.
Then as if to ramble on… there are cinemas, live shows, the Garden of lights for December, and the obvious attraction of the Casino. It makes an overnight stay seem like too little time.
We did have breakfast for R70, (6 Euros), and it was a comprehensive spread of fruit juices, cereals, fruits, cold meats and pastries and cheeses, and a choice of 6 or so hot accompaniments with your eggs. You would easily pay 5x more for this in ANY European hotel.
Negatives… I stupidly misplaced my car keys, and after a major high stress rigmarole they were eventually found in a drawer at reception. Surely the staff changing shifts should have passed on this info??
So for the price you pay, especially if you are able to plan in advance and use the Peermont central reservations system, I believe with 100% certainly there is no better value for this quality ANYWHERE in the World.

Room Tip: Perhaps a higher floor might be better
  • Stayed December 2011, traveled as a couple
New Jersey
Reviewed December 19, 2011

I stayed at this hotel for one night after a very long flight from the United States. I was continuing on to Botswana on a flight the next morning, so staying for a quick night by the airport was perfect to crash and get some sleep. After lots of delays back in Washington, all I was hoping for was a clean, comfortable place to sleep. This hotel mostly met those requirements, but wasn’t the best.

It was about a 10 minute drive from the airport to this hotel, and although I didn’t realize it while we were driving there at night, the hotel is basically right on the edge of the airport/runways. Luckily I didn’t hear any airplane noise from my room.

The hotel is part of a complex called Emperor’s Palace, which includes a large casino and restaurant complex, with several hotels attached. The whole thing is pretty much gated off, with a sort of tollbooth to go through in order to enter. On the inside, Emperor’s Palace is basically the same idea as the Caesar’s casinos in the United States. The Peermont Metcourt does not have an interior connection to the casino and restaurants like some of the other hotels there, but it was just a walk across the parking lot away. It was very nice to have several restaurants right there to choose from when we just wanted to eat quickly and get to sleep.

The hotel itself appears to be relatively new, and it looks like a typical mid-range suburban hotel from the outside. It’s somewhat modern inside, and it was quite busy with guests coming and going in the lobby. I had a room on the top floor with 2 twin beds. In general, I thought the room was decorated nicely. It was modern, with very comfortable beds. I’m not sure if I was just exhausted, but I had a great night’s sleep in that bed. The room itself was actually very small. With two people and two suitcases in the room, it was extremely cramped.

I really would have liked the room overall, and could have overlooked the small size, had it not been for the bathroom. Others have commented on this as well. I guess it was because the room was so small that there wasn’t enough space to really have a true bathroom. This led to the bathroom literally being in the room with the beds. The sink, shower, and toilet are just a couple of feet away from the beds, with no wall or door. There’s only a curtain to separate the bathroom section, which reminded me of a hospital room. The ‘bathroom’ was still incredibly small, like the rest of the room. The sink was especially tiny with no counter space, and the shower and toilet have an odd swinging door that moves from one to the other. Either way, there was basically no privacy in the bathroom. Regardless of whom you travel with, I think keeping the bathroom and beds separate is preferable. I found it particularly awkward because I was traveling with a group and had never met the person I was staying with beforehand. The odd bathroom setup really made me go from liking the hotel to being happy we were only staying there for one night.

Otherwise, the hotel was mostly fine. I found the elevators to be very slow, so I would always use the stairs to get to my room. The stairs are right by the elevators, so it was no problem to use them, as long as I wasn’t trying to transport my luggage.

Wireless internet is not free. I ended up paying to use it, although others I was traveling with commented that it was a bit pricey. I don’t recall the price, but I thought it was worth it to get in touch with those at home. The hotel does offer a room with a couple of old computers with internet access on the ground level. When I was there, only one was actually working, and one man was monopolizing it literally for hours. Some people in my group complained to the front desk staff about this, and they offered to try to fix the broken computers. However, nothing really happened with this, and they refused to ask the other person to leave the computer area. This made the free internet virtually useless that night.

In the morning, we had to leave the hotel pretty early to get back to the airport, before breakfast. The hotel provided our group with a boxed breakfast instead, which was nice. I’m not sure if this is standard, or something our tour guide specifically negotiated with the hotel/paid for.

Overall, I think the Peermont Metcourt is an ok option by Johannesburg’s Tambo airport. I thought the Emperor’s Palace complex was a nice enough place to be, with plenty of dining options. However, I would choose another property in the complex if ever there in the future. The odd bathroom set-up and very small size of the room were not things that I enjoyed, and in the end, the quality of the room itself is the most important thing about a hotel stay. If you’re fine with small (though decently nice) rooms, and a bathroom in your hotel room, you’ll be fine here. I think the rooms would be best suited for a solo traveler.

• Stayed May 2011, traveled with friends