“Five star treatment ...”

Peermont D'oreale Grande at Emperors Palace
Ranked #8 of 26 Hotels in Kempton Park
Reviewed September 11, 2012

My wife and I enjoyed three nights at this hotel in September 2012. We had inadvertently booked the incorrect dates online, but this was swiftly resolved by Rex at the front desk. Our room on the 5th floor was everything that we expected, with a lovely garden view, and we had no complaints. The staff, without exception, were friendly and helpful. We only had breakfast in the Aurelia restaurant, but, again, we had no complaints. I had read one or two negative reviews on Tripadvisor, but we certainly enjoyed our stay and would highly recommend this hotel, well-deserving of its five stars.

• Stayed: September 2012, traveled as a couple
1  Thank MartinG987

Reviewed September 7, 2012

We stayed here twice, once in early June for two nights, and again in early July for one night, as we criss-crossed southern Africa for a couple of months at the end of 12 months of travelling... The hotel was chosen by our agent for its proximity to the airport and free shuttle bus.

We first arrived at 6am after an overnight flight from Perth, Australia (on the first shuttle of the day - although it runs regularly during the day, it does not run overnight), and as noted by another reviewer, the hotel didn't really seem to be expecting us that early in the day, although they should have been. However, we did get two non-smoking rooms opposite each other within 15 minutes, so no big drama. Both rooms were of a good size, one with a sofa and armchair, both with more than adequate en suites. We had one of the same rooms when we stayed the second time. There were very nice toiletries, and several TV channels to choose from, but the rooms didn't really feel five-star.

We ventured out to one of the numerous restaurants in the complex for some breakfast, which is rather rambling and centred around the casino. The architecture is very grand and imposing, but all looks like a pastiche. Not unpleasant but a bit Disney... We had a very lazy day, sitting by the pool (not able to use it as it was closed for the season - a pair of geese were enjoying a swim though) and napping. We had a dinner in a different restaurant (charged to the room) and retired for a good night's sleep. On our second visit we ate in another restaurant and also charged it to our room.

Breakfast on both occasions was sumptuous, a vast buffet of almost any kind of breakfast food you can imagine. We did have to stop the staff whipping plates away before we had finished (bizarre), but otherwise the food and the service were good.

Wifi was complimentary and good, including in the bedrooms.

Staff at reception, however, managed to get our bills wrong both times we stayed (they were only for the dinners charged from restaurants elsewhere in the complex), bizarrely trying to charge us for the children's breakfasts the second time, even though we had quite clearly booked and paid in advance for a B&B rate. Disappointing, and stressful, especially the second time when our luggage was loaded onto the shuttle which then had to wait for me to sort out the bill. This sort of error rate (100%!) is not acceptable from a five-star hotel.

We would never have chosen to stay here ourselves, and would never pay the rack rate, but actually it was good for stopping over and was incredibly quiet despite being so near to the airport, so we got excellent nights' sleep both times.

• Stayed: June 2012, traveled with family
2  Thank TalbotTravellers
Reviewed August 31, 2012

My 11 hour flight from Australia arrived in Johannesburg at 0600hrs and I then caught the shuttle bus to the Peermont hotel chain jewel, the D'Oreale Grande, arriving at about 0630hrs. I have made my reservation online at their website and advised them I would be arriving at about 0600hrs. When I went to check in, they told me my room would not be available until 1500hrs, a wait of about 8 hours! I asked them what am I supposed to do in that time, since I advised them of my arrival time. They simply shrugged and were either totally confused or didn't care.

After finally getting to my room at about 1300hrs, I find that it is a tiny little cubicle, even though I booked a deluxe king room. There were no bathrobes provided in the room or slippers, basic stuff you expect to see in a 5 star hotel? The battery for the safe as also flat and when I advised them they said they would send someone to fix it but never did. It took 45 minutes for room service to deliver a chicken sandwhich.

The poor service is not just at Peermonts D'Oreale either! I stayed at their other hotel next door, the mondior, and that was terrible service too. I am not sure if it just South Africa in general, but the service from the staff at this hotel chain is embarrassing, they are lazy with no sense of urgency or customer satisfaction.

I then stayed at the Intercontinental OR Tambo, and recieved the exact opposite service from their staff, so clearly it is isolated at the Peermont chain. I dont know who rates their hotels, I would not be surprised if they have given themselves their own 5 star rating. If you are lookin for a quality hotel for the money that you pay, stay elsewhere.

Room Tip: Choose a different hotel chain...
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled solo
3  Thank JimAfrica
Reviewed August 31, 2012

Stayed one night when attending a function in the neighbouring casino so the location and the proximity to the airport worked for me. The rooms are pretty much like every other hotel and are comfortable. The breakfast is average at best.

• Stayed: November 2011, traveled on business
1  Thank Paul V
Reviewed August 23, 2012

We stayed here on transit for one night between safaris. We were originally supposed to be in mondior but they were full for a conference so we jumped back onto the shuttle to the d'oreale grand. It's clearly aimed to be high end. The front staff were good by standards we experienced in Africa and there is wifi as reported by other reviewers.

The rooms are smallish but well appointed. The bathroom is very nice. Our toilet was leaking mildly but as we were staying overnight we did not pursue it.

The air conditioning is very strong and quite drying.

It is conveniently connected to the casino if you are so inclined and just like Las Vegas, they have a food and shopping district with sky painted ceilings with late afternoon lighting ambience.

The breakfast was not up to standard for its target market. It was super crowded. We had to wait for a table which only got longer during our meal. The service was miserable, they repeatedly tried to clear plates which we were trying eat from (no joke). When informed of this, there was mild grunting but no sign of an apology.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple
2  Thank spiderpig01
Reviewed August 22, 2012

I have stayed here now several times and the overall service levels are very good. Restaurant bar and all areas kept to high standards and of course is attached to the casino and a host of bars and restaurants

Room Tip: Study the map if you are driving
  • Stayed: August 2012, traveled on business
1  Thank bobholt
Reviewed August 20, 2012

This was just a night getaway - to experience what this hotel has to offer. It is a nice hotel, but I wouldn't consider it a 5star. The staff at the guest relations was helpful, as well as the staff on the casino floor. The room is comfortable, I didnt like the bathroom with the tub & shower combined (hand held shower). I think that it should be much better for a 5star. If u stay in Johannesburg, it is a nice place to stay for a night out, but not a weekend. Wide variety of food places to choose from. Large casino floor. Lots of bars and entertainment.

• Stayed: August 2012, traveled as a couple